2000 tacoma cruise control install - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 tacoma cruise control install

My 2000 automatic came with no cruise is it possible to get a system off a truck and put it on my truck as is? would a factory kit from Toyota work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up Re: 2000 tacoma cruise control install

I just did all the research for this on my '99 Tacoma and from what I found the wiring harness is pre-wired for the cruise control system. If you have a donor or if you find a wrecking yard with a truck like yours then all you have to do is strip the parts and plug them into your truck. Now, there is a difference between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl trucks, the 4 cyl trucks have the ECU for the cruise located under the passenger kick plate where the 6 cyl has the ECU built into the actuator under the hood and so there are 2 different wiring harnesses as well. You should find all the plugs in place and if you can get your hands on a wiring diagram you can confirm they are the right plugs by matching the wire colours.

I'm all set to get my parts from the local wrecking yard this friday and will be posting my results on here after I'm completed. Hope it works! ...and good luck. Tim

1999 Tacoma 4x4, 2.7L 5 speed, loaded...My 4'th Toyota truck.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM

(Thread Starter)
Re: 2000 tacoma cruise control install

sweet thanks for the help.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

So I went to the scrap yard where there are about 15 or so trucks with many parts. I found a 1999 Tacoma 4x4 4 cyl with cruise control still intact so I removed all the components I needed. This included the actuator and throttle cables, the steering wheel with the switch attached, the clutch switch and the ECU. It took me less than 1 hour to remove all this and then took it home. I installed everything in just over 1 hour and went on a test run. I turned the cruise on, the light on the dash went on and I heard the relay click in the ECU. However when I pushed the switch to set the speed the ECU disengaged and the cruise light on the dash began to flash indicating there was a malfunction somewhere in the system. So the next thing I did was collect all the information from the factory manual as well as the troubleshooting guide and started into it. After completing all the troubleshooting it looks like the ECU is toast however I am not completely sure. I will be going back to the scrap yard and exchanging the ECU for another one but have to wait as there was only 1 there at the time. The owner of the yard said he's getting several more trucks soon and hopefully there will be one I can use.
So again I am waiting for parts, hopefully it will work in the end

I'll post more when I find parts. Tim

#5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Tim:

There were different factory accessory kits for manual versus automatic transmissions, and the installation instructions had certain different steps / details depending on which transmission you had.

In particular, there were certain installation wiring differences depending on which transmission you had.

Did this 'donor' cruise system come from a Taco with the same type transmission as yours?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 AM

Thumbs up Re: 2000 tacoma cruise control install

Hi Enola Gaia, I took my system from an exact truck but with an automatic so I was thinking the ecu was for an automatic as some of the previous trucks had. However looking at the factory parts list it shows the auto and standard share the same ecu. Actually I was just going to write in here that I had found the problem and am now enjoying my cruise

I was surfing the forums on other sites when I came across a note from a guy who had installed a factory cruise like me, he mentioned he had to change the brake switch and I remember looking before and noticing a 4 prong plug, according to the wiring diagrams it's 2 wires for the brake lights and 2 for the cruise so I made the mistake of assuming the switch was the proper one . I removed the plug and noticed there where 2 connections only on the brake switch and none for the cruise! So this means I need the proper switch, so I jumpered the 2 wires (blue-white & blue-black) , went for a drive and it worked like a charm.
I wondered why I didn't pick this up while doing my diagnostic tests listed in the manual and I think I again assumed the brake switch was the right one and ended up skipping that test...stupid move! But anyway, I knew it was something small as it usually is and will chalk it up as a learning experience.

So to follow up, my truck came pre-wired for cruise from the factory but I don't know if they did this for all Tacoma's or if they have 2 harnesses, one for all accessories and one for no accessories as mine has power windows & A/C. I also took a factory dash clock from the donor truck and found when installing it the plug was sitting behind the dummy plate waiting to plug it in. All I know is that other than the little delay everything went well and I am happy I worked it out. If anyone has a question about installing a factory cruise from another truck let me know and I will be happy to try and help. My e-mail is gtps@hotmail.com
Thanks for all the help Enola Gaia
it was well appreciated

Tim

Last edited by TacomaTim; 05-22-2009 at 06:35 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Back from the dead thread but exactly what I was looking for! Factory cruise???? Too good to be true, no to find a donor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode