Rear Differential gear oil leaking thru the inside of the drums - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Rear Differential gear oil leaking thru the inside of the drums

Hy I have this problem for awhile is the my 2001 Taco prerunner 2wd is leaking the gear oil thru the inside of the drums, I have change in several times all of the oil seals, bearings, the big o ring and the breather valve and the last time I did all that I dissemble booth axel and took them to the machine shop and have tested to see if they wear bend but thy are perfect and she still doing the same SHTTTTT. Is something frustrated please HELLLLLPPPPPPP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Re: Rear Differential gear oil leaking thru the inside of the drums

(1) Welcome to CT! ...

(2) Have you done any modifications to the differential / rear axle, or is it totally stock?

(3) Do you happen to have the electric locking differential, or do you have the stock 'open' differential?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM

(Thread Starter)

1) Ty for the welcome
2) no modification to diff. is totally stock
3) and yes i have the electric locking differential
#4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Just so we're clear ...

When you had the oil seals / bearings / etc. checked before (multiple times), this included inspection of the center 'pumpkin' / e-locker unit as well ... Right?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Mambeau / Admin

I have a possible theory ...

According to the parts listings I can access, the bearings and oil seals for a 2001 PreRunner are different for a non-locker versus a locker.

This is entirely understandable, because the e-locker unit is based on a totally different differential (the older, so-called 'V6 / Turbo') from the non-locker PreRunners (which have the later so-called '8.4' unit).

Could it be that the wrong oil seals / bearings / etc. have been installed, and that's what's causing the leakage?

#6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 AM

(Thread Starter)

Well i have buy all the parts form my local toyota dealer all genuine"original parts" useing the vin # from my taco and yes (multiple times), this included inspection of the center 'pumpkin' / e-locker unit as well
#7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Mambeau / Admin

The VIN number wouldn't indicate the presence of the e-locker (which was an option). If all they used was the VIN number, they may have ordered parts for the 'regular' (non-locker) PreRunner with the '8.4' instead of the peculiar e-locker unit.

They *might* have been able to tell the difference if they went so far as to ask you for the axle code ...

I don't know that this is the cause, but it certainly explains everything - especially why it never seems to get 'fixed' no matter how many times you dig into it ...

#8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Tacoholic

any possibility of wrong fluid, damage to seal surface(not warp but scuffing etc) or a clogged breather line?

I plead the 5th, unless copping to the crime is of my benefit...
#9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexover69 View Post
Hy I have this problem for awhile is the my 2001 Taco prerunner 2wd is leaking the gear oil thru the inside of the drums, I have change in several times all of the oil seals, bearings, the big o ring and the breather valve and the last time I did all that I dissemble booth axel and took them to the machine shop and have tested to see if they wear bend but thy are perfect and she still doing the same SHTTTTT. Is something frustrated please HELLLLLPPPPPPP

What you are having is not that uncommon at all. The axle seal design is not the best on these trucks.

I have two 4Runners and one has CHRONIC axle seal leaks and the other never ever leaks.

Then next thing I am going to try is to get a used axle assembly from the junkyard and put my 3rd member in it.

One thing I did was drill a very small hole in the bottom of the axle housing between the axle seal and the bearing so it will leak out of the hole instead of through the bearing and brakes.

It is a very annoying problem indeed.

Gadget
#10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Tacoholic

Was the axle perhaps over filled with oil?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode