User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Questions about my supercharged 3rz...

Hey all,
I have a 98 Tacoma 3rz. Low boost supercharger (4psi). I installed a 2.5" URD pulley which should give around 6-7 psi. I also installed pink top injectors. I have a walbro 190 fuel pump but have not installed it yet. Here are my questions:

Do I need to tune the ecu with this setup? If so, what would be my best option?

If I want to go back to the 4 psi setup can I leave the stock fuel pump and pink injectors? (I'm thinking I might do this so I don't have to mess with the ecu)

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Re: Questions about my supercharged 3rz...

What supercharger are you working with? The original 4-cylinder TRD kit? Alpine / LCE? Something else?

I'm unclear why you seem to think you can fall back to just the pink injectors and the stock fuel pump with no effects / adjustments. Seems to me the pink injectors' different (from stock ... ) flow characteristics will cause the actual fuel parameters to be different from the stock parameters the ECM assumes in managing the engine.

I'm not saying it will be a big effect or require some sort of tuning intervention. I'm just saying it seems to me it will still be a different situation than your ECM is expecting.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
What supercharger are you working with? The original 4-cylinder TRD kit? Alpine / LCE? Something else?

I'm unclear why you seem to think you can fall back to just the pink injectors and the stock fuel pump with no effects / adjustments. Seems to me the pink injectors' different (from stock ... ) flow characteristics will cause the actual fuel parameters to be different from the stock parameters the ECM assumes in managing the engine.

I'm not saying it will be a big effect or require some sort of tuning intervention. I'm just saying it seems to me it will still be a different situation than your ECM is expecting.

Its from LCE but has TRD stamped on the supercharger. I plan on installing the fuel pump soon. Is there a certain piggyback ecu you would recommend?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)

I don't have anything to offer on piggyback recommendations ... Sorry ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 PM
arc
Enthusiast

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

AEM FIC you can get allot of help as many of us are using it.

The FIC, 190, and pinks will be a good combination for 7 PSI. This is what I am using on my 7 PSI turbo setup.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Your best friends would be a boost gauge and a wideband.

There is that rule of thumb that says up to 5 psi you don't need intercooler. Being a supercharger you don't have the possibility to cool the charged air. While some people use supercharger for higher boost level. It might be the timing that you won't be able to control. For supercharger, meth injection is usefull for cooling the charge mixture.

You might not even need that 190 pump or need any other tuning than what your ecu is currently doing. It may be q question of how your fuel regulator is plumbed or things like that.

But in my opinion, at 6-7 psi on a increased pressure supercharger you should start thinking about collecting more informations about what is happening... wideband/afr is probably the best guide for these performance level. Then you will know how those pinks works, if you still have room for safety and if you need the 90 pump.

SWAP is DONE_Updated 2017/03/09 * My Street Baja build... http://www.customtacos.com/forum/94-...bo-96-4x4.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode