Dyno Numbers and Questions - Toyota Tacoma Forum

User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dyno Numbers and Questions

I took my truck to the local "dyno day" today. $40 for 2 pulls just to see what my truck is putting down with the current setup: IC Precision 5431e, walbro 190, pink tops, external gate at (what I though was) 9psi. I have a few questions about some explanations as well as some advice/suggestions/expertise. I'm attaching a pic of the dyno sheet. You can clearly see that it drops to ~12.5 AFR then begins to lean out around 4100rpm and goes back up to mid-high 14's. This is obviously expected for making 11psi of boost on a stock ecu. I wasn't expecting it to make this much boost. I recently replaced the stock exhaust with a custom made 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust which freed up a little more boost. I only made one pull after I saw the data log of the 1st one. The power and torque numbers are supposed to be corrected if it was at sea level. The "uncorrected" number is the actual amount of power and tq that was made at this altitude (~5000ft). Analog 1 is boost pressure in psi.

1st question: My boost gauge at full boost reads ~9psi, however, the datalog at the dyno said my set up produced 10.94psi. I am at 5000ft elevation which calculates to ~2psi loss of boost. Does this mean that my boost gauge is 2psi off (low) of what is actually being produced?

2nd question:
I am in the process of installing a Megaquirt 3 (big thanks to the help of Kurt). When i start tuning, I want to run lower boost around 5psi to start. I currently am running an older style 38mm Turbosmart WG using an older Tial 8psi WG spring. The WG I am using has a larger diaphragm than the newer more compact TS WG's and uses a diaphragm for the larger 50/60 WG's. Does this mean that I need to also use a spring from the larger 50/60 WG? And will the psi ratings transfer directly to being used in the older style 38mm WG?

3rd Question: My AFR gauge at full boost reads 10.8 @ 4500rpm (pre cat) where the dyno's meter that was inserted into the tailpipe was reading much higher. Does the AFR sensor placement make that much of a difference?

I think I may have a couple other questions but it's late so I'll hopefully remember them tomorrow to add it.
Any input, criticism, whatever is welcome.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0345[1].jpg (49.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0340[1].jpg (45.6 KB, 10 views)

Icon, TC UCA, Precision 5431, FMIC, Pink tops, Walbro 190

Last edited by boostedka; 03-18-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Re: Dyno Numbers and Questions

Your wideband pre cat is accurate. The sensor they put in your tail pipe is not. The cat is doing its job and burning exhaust fumes.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

1st question: My boost gauge at full boost reads ~9psi, however, the datalog at the dyno said my set up produced 10.94psi. I am at 5000ft elevation which calculates to ~2psi loss of boost. Does this mean that my boost gauge is 2psi off (low) of what is actually being produced? Disregard that peak boost number that was a temporary spike that probably lasted a tenth of a second. Boost osculates a little due to it being a large four cylinder engine. Every time an intake valve opens the boost pressure drops a little. My graphs have always been a little wavy. The graph is showing you are making 8-8.5psi.

2nd question:
I am in the process of installing a Megaquirt 3 (big thanks to the help of Kurt). When i start tuning, I want to run lower boost around 5psi to start. I currently am running an older style 38mm Turbosmart WG using an older Tial 8psi WG spring. The WG I am using has a larger diaphragm than the newer more compact TS WG's and uses a diaphragm for the larger 50/60 WG's. Does this mean that I need to also use a spring from the larger 50/60 WG? And will the psi ratings transfer directly to being used in the older style 38mm WG?
I don't know this one. Bigger diaphram should be able to push on spring harder than a smaller diaphram. You have the larger diaphram so probably need a spring for that size diaphram. You may have trouble with boost creep trying to keep it at 5psi it may creep up to 8psi anyway because the wastegate may not be able flow enough air around your turbo to keep boost that low.

3rd Question: My AFR gauge at full boost reads 10.8 @ 4500rpm (pre cat) where the dyno's meter that was inserted into the tailpipe was reading much higher. Does the AFR sensor placement make that much of a difference? I agree with atheworld0. Your wideband should be much more accurate than a tailpipe sensor. Just being behind the cat makes a tailpipe sensor read about 0.5 leaner. If you have any leaks in the exhaust that would let in fresh air it would read even leaner.

It looks like it's running really good!

'02 Single Cab 4x4 3rz-fe. Holset he351cw Turbo. Treadstone manifold. Megasquirt. Four additional 200cc injectors. Vortech inline fuel pump. Bar and plate intercooler. Flex fuel. R150F trans swap. 354whp 376wtq at 15psi on E85.

Last edited by kurt4726; 03-20-2017 at 11:09 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Nice dyno run!

Are you running 33"?

SWAP is DONE_Updated 2017/03/09 * My Street Baja build... http://www.customtacos.com/forum/94-...bo-96-4x4.html
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick4x4 View Post
Nice dyno run!

Are you running 33"?
Yeah 33/12.5-15 w 4.88 gears. Good set up so far. Now that it's turbo though, i kind of wish i went 4.56 but it still works well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt4726 View Post
1st question: My boost gauge at full boost reads ~9psi, however, the datalog at the dyno said my set up produced 10.94psi. I am at 5000ft elevation which calculates to ~2psi loss of boost. Does this mean that my boost gauge is 2psi off (low) of what is actually being produced? Disregard that peak boost number that was a temporary spike that probably lasted a tenth of a second. Boost osculates a little due to it being a large four cylinder engine. Every time an intake valve opens the boost pressure drops a little. My graphs have always been a little wavy. The graph is showing you are making 8-8.5psi.

2nd question:
I don't know this one. Bigger diaphram should be able to push on spring harder than a smaller diaphram. You have the larger diaphram so probably need a spring for that size diaphram. You may have trouble with boost creep trying to keep it at 5psi it may creep up to 8psi anyway because the wastegate may not be able flow enough air around your turbo to keep boost that low.

3rd Question: My AFR gauge at full boost reads 10.8 @ 4500rpm (pre cat) where the dyno's meter that was inserted into the tailpipe was reading much higher. Does the AFR sensor placement make that much of a difference? I agree with atheworld0. Your wideband should be much more accurate than a tailpipe sensor. Just being behind the cat makes a tailpipe sensor read about 0.5 leaner. If you have any leaks in the exhaust that would let in fresh air it would read even leaner.

It looks like it's running really good!
Thanks for the input Kurt. I'll probably get a 7psi spring for the 50/60 gate and go from there. Next time I run it on the dyno there, I'll have them read off of my AEM sensor to get a more accurate reading to graph. Hopefully i can get the MS in soon. I basically just waiting on getting a laptop. Guy at work was supposed to work something out but that was like a month ago. So, I'll probably see if i can find something on Craigslist this week

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Here's a short video of the dyno pull with their tech behind the wheel

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Nice Video! Your exhaust sounds good.

This is wrong by the way:
"Disregard that peak boost number that was a temporary spike that probably lasted a tenth of a second. Boost osculates a little due to it being a large four cylinder engine. Every time an intake valve opens the boost pressure drops a little. My graphs have always been a little wavy. The graph is showing you are making 8-8.5psi."

The dark red line is the boost pressure not the light red line. Sheesh you would think they could find a color other than red. Anyway the graph is showing the dyno's pressure sensor logged pressure above 10.5 from 3750-5000rpm. Do you know where they connected their sensor? If they connected it between the turbo and intercooler that might make the difference. An intercooler typically creates 1-3psi pressure drop. If your boost gauge was hooked up post intercooler and their pressure sensor was hooked up pre intercooler that could make the gauges read differently.

'02 Single Cab 4x4 3rz-fe. Holset he351cw Turbo. Treadstone manifold. Megasquirt. Four additional 200cc injectors. Vortech inline fuel pump. Bar and plate intercooler. Flex fuel. R150F trans swap. 354whp 376wtq at 15psi on E85.

Last edited by kurt4726; 03-21-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode