Engine finally up and running - still idling a bit fast question - first impressions - Toyota Tacoma Forum

User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine finally up and running - still idling a bit fast question - first impressions

Hi folks,

I finally swapped my engine. I've been out of job for two weeks so I've been able to work on the truck. (That's my daily and only car so I was stressed out like hell). So seven days of full time work to install and figure everything. I will update my build thread with pictures soon.

It started right up on the first cranking after the swap, no check engine code.

So far everything seems great, 5 psi steady boosting at around 12.5 afr. I didn't tried it for a long and sustained WOT because I still have 87 octane in the tank and I'm not running the intercooler yet so I will go very progressively on that. Drives so smooth it's amazing. Before I removed my old 2.7 engine, I took some compression test to know how good it would be to resell the whole swap... I have 0 compression on cylinder #2 and 60# on cylinder #1 ... I didn't bother taking compression on 3 and 4. A quick inspection revealed something was wrong with one exhaust valve on #2 not sealing properly... I drove like that for like forever, that engine never ran right... Still it took me to the mountain every weekend.

Now, my afr at idle are somewhere between 13.8-14.3, it cruises at 14.7-14.2.

I had to refigure throttle plate position, thottle cable ajustement and dash pot position at first. First start was idling at 3000 rpm... a tad too high for my taste, but once everything previously mentioned ajusted, I'm now idling at 1250 rpm. I had a cheap ebay knockoff blow off valve ($5.99) that was leaking so I replaced it with an oem quality replacement and it solved my vacuum leak. Vacuum at idle is now like -21 in hg. So it should be good enough

I pinched everything else that could create a vacuum leak and eveything seems to be tight enough. If I pinch closed the IAC tube, I stall the truck right away. If I progressively pinch the IAC tube I can lower the idle speed to what I want. At first I even installed an ajustable collar clamp on the tube so I could use it like a idle speed control screw. Still it's not how it should work so I'm searching a bit. Also, when I choke the IAC tube, there is a increasing whisting sound trough the air filter so it really shuts the incoming air flow and it's LOUD.

How you guys is your idle speed, I'm wondering if it's not the whole turbo thing that may create the faster idle... But that IAC might be juste stuck open also. It seems there is no hot or cold idle speed for me anymore. Idles always at the same rpm hot or cold.

Also, a small trick for those with an engine that stalls after a boost burst, try to ajust the dash pot at the highest possible position without interfering with the rest screw of the throttle linkage. That creates a more progressive load realease and helps afr to stabilise. It puts less strain on the turbo impeller between shifts also, might be particularly interesting for those who doesn't run BOV. The pot clears away as soon vacuum is rebuilt in the manifold, so it equalises by itself, it really makes a difference. Might impact on the starting thouht because when the vaccum is realeased it might reopen the throttle a bit if the engine is not running and TPS might assume you have the foot a bit on the gas pedal. It could translate by the feeling of additional engine cranking turn to do.
boostedka and Potomus Pete like this.

SWAP is DONE_Updated 2017/03/09 * My Street Baja build... http://www.customtacos.com/forum/94-...bo-96-4x4.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Re: Engine finally up and running - still idling a bit fast question - first impressi

Great to see you got the new motor up and running! What are you using for fuel management?

Icon, TC UCA, Precision 5431, FMIC, Pink tops, Walbro 190
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)
Re: Engine finally up and running - still idling a bit fast question - first impressi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedka View Post
Great to see you got the new motor up and running! What are you using for fuel management?
Thanks

I plan nothing for management. I want to stay within what the stock ECU is able to handle. If I ever encounter slight knocking or uncontrolable timing I will know I need to back down the boost or lower intake temperature. I have the fuel pressure regulator hooked to a pressure sensing port before the throttle plate. I have slightly bigger bosch injectors (330cc) and a GM knock sensor. Oh yeah, and Wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons might help also. Otherwise I try to keep the ECU aware of what is really happening in the engine (not trying to fool it) and expecting it to magane properly the informations.

Once the intercooler installed I will progressively try to increase boost to 7 psi, then 10 and maybe 12. 12 would be a maximum for me as a goal.

Enventually a walbro or AEM high volume fuel pump would be welcome also.

SWAP is DONE_Updated 2017/03/09 * My Street Baja build... http://www.customtacos.com/forum/94-...bo-96-4x4.html

Last edited by Dick4x4; 03-10-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: 330 cc not 320cc

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Sounds like it should be a pretty nice, reliable set up. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of everything installed

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Sure, I'll try to update some pictures of the swap today!

I'm a bit concerned about long highway uphill situation. Where I will boost but I won't be open loop. I don't know if I should try to floor it to go in open loop or just going smooth keeping my gear.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:23 PM

My current set up is similar to yours with a stock ECU and pink top injectors. When I'm driving to CO or northern NM and I'm on one of those long up hills in boost at partial throttle, the ECU will switch over to open loop after some arbitrary amount of time. I don't know what exactly the ECU is seeing to do this, but it becomes somewhat predictable after you see it happen a few times and the AFR's will noticeably drop.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM

My current set up is similar to yours with a stock ECU and pink top injectors. When I'm driving to CO or northern NM and I'm on one of those long up hills in boost at partial throttle, the ECU will switch over to open loop after some arbitrary amount of time. I don't know what exactly the ECU is seeing to do this, but it becomes somewhat predictable after you see it happen a few times and the AFR's will noticeably drop.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedka View Post
Thanks for that info man, that is really appreciated and it will remove some stress on my shoulder. I especially like the "arbitrary amount of time" part lol

I didn't drove the truck a lot yet, I had that condition at first with the unstable idle that could cause it to die on road BUT the main problem is combined with my starter that doesn't seem to like to have to crank a newer engine with more compression and having resting one week it won't crank like 9 times on 10.

... I've been lucky enough on my maiden trip like 8km from my place (decided to drive to the garage where I work) to stall on the commercial lane cause I had to jump on the brake to avoid someone who decided to turn in a parking lot at the last second, I've been able to get in that same store parking lot on my momentum... The time I figured what has happened, I was knocking with a hammer on the starter and restart it... I should have a new 1.4Kw starter tomorrow.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Maiden voyages on a new engine can have a lot of pitfalls. I'm glad you didn't get stranded. I've had to hammer on starters to get them to work also. On a 4x4 it's easy to get to it with a hammer.

'02 Single Cab 4x4 3rz-fe. Holset he351cw Turbo. Treadstone manifold. Megasquirt. Four additional 200cc injectors. Vortech inline fuel pump. Bar and plate intercooler. Flex fuel. R150F trans swap. 354whp 376wtq at 15psi on E85.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Well,

it was too good to be true. I installed my new starter today and went at couple place to buy stuff.

Then I found at the exit of the store there was a couple of drops of coolant under the truck... Said to myself "no big deal" it must be a small clamp once again that is leaking...

Back home I did an inspection... My heart stop beating when I realised it was leaking from the head gasket... just under the intake cylinder port #1 .

I contacted LCE who sold me the MLS gasket and head bolts. They were not much help... still I don't know what they could do more.

My block and head was machined to tolerance to accept MLS gasket.

I won't have time to work on the truck this weekend. I will drive it the less possible like that until then but I need it monday. I will try to retorq the head to the block to specs. I'll bring my better quality torque wrench from job to see if there is a bit left to gain.

I asked the folks at LCE and they told me to not torque stronger than what is recommended that is like 90pi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode