User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Been Busy...Great Results

So a couple of weeks ago Manny (YankeeTaco) and I went junkyard shopping. It was a pretty successful trip for myself, not for Manny though. I picked up a windshield wiper switch from a 98 Camry which has 4 variable speeds, a low speed and a high speed. We found another from a 99 Camry but it only had one variable speed and wasn't in that great of shape so Manny didn't get it. I also picked up a 00 Prerunner spare tire carrier. I can't carry my full size spare because a 99 non-prerunner, auto, v6, 5lug gas tank. I have been wanting to do the 18.5 gas tank mod in my 4cyl for a long time.

I immediately changed out the windshield wiper switch outside of the junkyard and it took only a couple of minutes to change out. It fits perfectly, works perfectly and looks factory. I was so excited that I wanted it to rain

So the next weekend I head over to Manny's in the morning and take my bed off to get ready to change out the gas tanks. As soon as I pulled my old tank and compared it to the newish tank I realized they were the same tank.

So, we jumped in Manny's truck and headed back to the junkyard. Fortunately they let me swap the tank out for a 00 4x4 Prerunner tank. I compared my single tank strap with the 4x4 strap and besides the 4x4 skid plate the straps are the same size and length.

After we go back to Manny's place, I proceeded to install the new gas tank. The tank fit in the factory location perfectly. Unfortunately, the strap wasn't long enough. It was about a couple of inches short. I am not sure but it seems that the 4x4 and 2wd prerunners might have a different cross member or maybe some type of drop down bracked to compensate for the deeper tank. Anyways I temporarily wired up the strap to the cross member, installed everything else and put everything back together.

I had put in 5 gallons of gas at Manny's place and after I left, I went straight to the gas station and put in another 15.5 gallons

The next day I went to Home depot and found a solution to my problem. I picked up a new bolt with was a bit longer. I believe it was a M10-1.25-75. I will look at the package and double check when I get the chance. I took the bracket that bolts to the frame near the driverside tire and ground off the square bracket on the back so that it wont damage the tank when I re position it. I hand bent the strap to mold to the tank after figuring where it would be placed and took the piece of rubber padding that was behind the bracket and placed it behind the new position of the bracket to protect the tank. The bold worked perfectly and the tank is in securely. Good news is that the tank doesn't hang any lower than the front spring hanger, however, the 2wd skid plate doesn't do much to protect it. I did put the 2wd one back on though. You can use the 4wd skid plate but you will need to either get the 4wd strap or drill two holes into your strap. IT CAN BE DONE WITH LITTLE EFFORT! I can only verify that this swap works for the 96-00 Tacomas. The 01-04 Tacomas have two straps where the 96-00 Tacomas have one strap and the front of the tank bolts to the frame.

So for the next week I drove around with my new fatty tank sitting in the back of my truck. The first thing I noticed was that my a$$ was heavy and I had an extreme taco lean. I had a little bit of a lean before with my 3" drop blocks and never got around to fixing it. However, now, I have a serious drop especially with a full tank Also the rear suspension was really sloppy, like a Buick, especially around right corners. I also noticed realized that I forgot to make the adjustments to the 4cyl fuel pump float and pump location within the tank to compensate for the deeper tank. Another thing I had to fix was the speekfreek track bar on the driver side. The bolt was pushing into the tank.

So yesterday, I dropped the tank, lowered the pump until it reached the bottom of the tank, and adjusted the float so that it actually went to the bottom of the tank. I currently have the walbro 190 lph pump in my truck which required modifying the bracket so dropping the pump to the new depth of the tank required only loosening the hose clamp and sliding it down as well as replacing the zip ties. To fix the track bar issue, I removed the bolt and ground down the spacer about 1/2" to bring the heim joint closer to the leaf spring hanger.

So next was the sloppy rear suspension. I happened to have some extra 2wd leaf springs laying around from my old taco which I had cut up to use as add-a-leafs without the super stiffness that the add-a-leaf for lift kits gives you. I took one of those and added it to the driver side only. After re-installing everything, the tank was clear of the track bar bolt and the driver side sits about 1/2" higher than the passenger side which I will fix with a 3 1/2" drop block. So basically I have the infamous taco lean, but on the wrong side now. With the tank full, the truck sits just about level and now, right when the fuel gauge touches the empty line, the truck takes about 15.5 gallons of gas. Also, the truck drives perfect now with the added factory leaf. It feels perfectly balanced around corners, over speed bumps and just in general. The only thing I have left to do is to get another drop block from Brian (Beefed Taco).

I would only recommend using the bolt as a fix for the tank strap if you are street only and not off-roading. Another option is to add an adjustable/non adjustable extension to the passenger side of the strap near the end where it doesn't touch the tank. I would be really easy to do if you have a welder and some scrap metal. Otherwise this is really easy to do. I absolutely love having a large tank now especially since I drive 400+ miles a week.

Here are some pics and I will upload some others later. Unfortunately I was unable to take pics of the pump and float since I didn't have my phone when I was working on it the second time.

So here is some general information for what I found out about the 96-00 Tacoma gas tanks. Only the v6 Prerunner 2wd and 4wd trucks have the 18.5 gal gas tank. You can use the 4wd skid plate on the other trucks as well. The 5 lug v6 has the smaller tank. Also only the 96-00 tanks are interchangeable. Any 96-04 Tacoma windshield wiper switch is interchangeable and the prerunners have the intermittent setting. As far as I can tell 98 and 99 Camrys are have the same basic type of switches as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0120.jpg (27.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0121.jpg (24.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0122.jpg (17.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0125.jpg (41.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0126.jpg (23.0 KB, 42 views)

I tried changing my password to pen!s but they keep telling me it's too short...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM
ADMlNAHATER

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Re: Been Busy...Great Results

Sounds like you've been busy

#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Here are some more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0139.jpg (22.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0140.jpg (30.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0141.jpg (23.2 KB, 36 views)

I tried changing my password to pen!s but they keep telling me it's too short...
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

the tank hang down more? Fuel gauge work fine?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Tacoholic

Everything sits like his original tank.. I plan on doing this mod. I have a 1997 single cab and I drive alot less miles than Nick so if I fill up with a bigger tank I will probably only have to fill up once a month.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutman126 View Post
the tank hang down more? Fuel gauge work fine?
The tank hangs down about another 2" or so. It is still higher than the front spring hanger as in the picture. You can also see the difference in the one picture with the 2wd skid plate. The fuel gauge works just fine.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

whats the red guarded switch for? jw

the tank swap seems like an awesome swap, wish there were junkyards in my area with tacos in them...

I like Toyotas.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout_taco_stidham View Post

the tank swap seems like an awesome swap, wish there were junkyards in my area with tacos in them...
I also wish for that in my area.... The only junkyards that have tacos in my area are just over the counter parts and they are VERY expensive!

Drift Truck Coming Soon!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Tacorvette enthusiast

Oh how I need a bigger tank, I was thinking that on the way home from the Desert yesterday, I was pulling a huge load and couldnt do the 200 mile trip on one tank.

I was thinking about trying to find a tank this week for the added fuel capacity, can I ask you how much it cost? And you said that any 96-2000 pre-runner/4x4 tank is interchangeable right?

Unfortunately you probably have the tank I was going to try and buy, damn you!!!! Since I have a 5.7 Liter motor, I REALLY need the extra capacity!

Anyway if you ever come across another one (unlikely) let me know, I need it!!!!!

BTW heres my load. I pulled the Jeep (Over 4K#) 3 motorcycles and all my gear, food etc....it did amazingly well!

BOOST BRIGADE I fabricate custom parts: HEIM STYLE STRUT RODS, FORWARD FACING INTAKE MANIFOLDS, and TRACTION BARS (5 LUG) contact me for more info @ www.Speed-freek.com or just PM me here THANKS!
Former Lexus / Toyota tech
#10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout_taco_stidham View Post

That is my FTL drive switch

Nah just kidding. It switches on all of my nitrous stuff and then the micro switch and my stand alone computer control it thereafter at full throttle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode