Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps?? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

I have a 1998 4x4 TRD Off Road Tacoma 5 Speed model I have swapped a twin turbo 2JZGTE engine into it. The engine will be delivering around 500 wheel horsepower and a enormous amount of torque. The weakest link in my power train is the chain driven transfercase. Any stronger transfercase anyone found for the Tacomas?
I know on the earlier model trucks that have the front diff on passenger side can have the bullet proof gear driven 4 cylinder tranfercase adapted on the earlier V6 transmissions but that doesn't do me any good since I need the transfercase that kicks off on the drivers side. Are the 4 cylinder Tacoma transfercases a similar tough design like the 1980s 22RE W56 gear drive T-cases? Any suggestion for beefing up my T-case or swapping on one would be appreciated.

Last edited by 1991Supercharged; 01-09-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Interesting question ...

I don't remember anyone bringing this subject up before ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Mambeau / Admin

According to the 2000 FSM all transfer assemblies (5VZ / 3RZ; manual / auto) use a chain. Here (attached) is the relevant components diagram ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00-TransferParts.pdf (125.8 KB, 4 views)

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Check Marlin Crawler. At one time they offered a kit for transplanting an earlier gear-driven transfer unit into a later Toyota truck / SUV with the chain drive unit.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

What is wrong with the chain driven transfer case?

I'd be looking into axles before the tcase...
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

From what I have been told many times over the years the V6 chain drive transfercases are not nearly as strong as the 4 cylinder gear drive transfercases used back in the 1980s. Most guys swapping in a small block V8s and decide to use a Toyota transfercase mated to the Chevy or ford tranny use a 4 cylinder gear drive T-case. Guess the chains are prone to breaking or slipping under extreme power and or torque.
I'm pretty sure the Tacoma axles are fine. As most of you know they are pretty over built to begin with. The front end my be the next weak link. If all else fails and I can find a suitable T-Case upgrade to drive the front drive shaft on the driver side of the truck like in the Tacomas. Might just do a SAS on the Tacoma to get a stronger front end and be able to adapt the 1980s 4cylidner T-Case on which will have the drive shaft running up the passenger side. Don't really want to SAS the truck since it does handle, ride & steers much better with the Tacoma independent rack n pinion front end. If I was planning on hard off roading or mud bogging them a SAS would be a planned upgrade for sure.
Here is a link to a photo album of the build I did.

http://s1140.photobucket.com/albums/...peed%20Tacoma/

Ignor this image below. Pasted the wrong code in and now this wont go away!!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Holy ****. Im in the same god damn scenario. got the R151 Tranny sittin in the garage with beefed up older T-case and my buddy just told me "drive shaft is on the other side buddy" doh..

But then he suggested the SAS that would go straight in to the R151 Tranny and older style transfer case....I didnt want to sacrifice driveability too sooo im kinda looking what to do next as well. And i will do something... just dont know what yet. Making it fast AND strong.

Last edited by HaVoCX; 01-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

everyone says that it's weaker, but i have YET to see or hear of a broken chain drive t-case in my 10 years of surfing the web (lol)...
I would leave it alone unless something happens. However, if you want to spend needless monies, give marlin crawler a call, they will help you out.

The guys used the 4-cyl t-case because it's VERY easy to add a reduction box / new gears (chain drive reduction boxed came out in the last 5 years or so)... and most of the people doing v8 swaps had a 4cyl in it's place before, so they re-used the parts they have. Nothing wrong with the gear driven cases, but you would have to do the 23 spline upgrade, (stock is 21) because your gear drive t-case is 23 spline (stronger).
#9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Addict

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada View Post
everyone says that it's weaker, but i have YET to see or hear of a broken chain drive t-case in my 10 years of surfing the web (lol)...
I would leave it alone unless something happens. However, if you want to spend needless monies, give marlin crawler a call, they will help you out.

The guys used the 4-cyl t-case because it's VERY easy to add a reduction box / new gears (chain drive reduction boxed came out in the last 5 years or so)... and most of the people doing v8 swaps had a 4cyl in it's place before, so they re-used the parts they have. Nothing wrong with the gear driven cases, but you would have to do the 23 spline upgrade, (stock is 21) because your gear drive t-case is 23 spline (stronger).
What he said, I would not worry about it unless what you have breaks.

I beat the heck out of my stock t-case with a supercharged V6 making ~300hp and a ton of torque. AWD launches from every stop light, which would light up the front tires. Never had a problem.

Although the lack of an LSD in the t-case does mean that AWD mode with high HP is not as effective as it could be due to it lighting up the front tires. In 4wd mode though it launched amazing but turning on the road was not really an option. lol

2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4l V6 Auto SUPERCHARGED, Meth injection, 2.0" Pulley, Doug Thorley Headers - My truck - My Youtube with lots more
Member of the "No BOV Club"
#10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

if anyone can point me in the direction for a 2TR-FE bellhousing i would be much appreciated.

Also, in regards to chain vs gears.. I think that the concept of "if it aint broke dont fix it". That was a good point stated earlier. Especially if were not finding any examples of the chain style giving out elsewhere.

Hmm.. guess i can just hold on to the R151F T-case for a future SAS swap, or try and sell it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode