Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps?? - Page 4 - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#31 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout_taco_stidham View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_7

read down to where they mention adding 2 turbos...to put it up to 800 hp...
pretty sure that was a 5 liter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatic1 View Post
Can you cite a source that shows the toyota 7 made 800hp?
Have quite an article in a April 1976 Motor Trend magazine that covers a lot of indepth details about Toyotas racing heritage covering specifications of the Toyota7, 2000GT and the various models of the 1971 to 1976 Celicas.
#33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatic1 View Post
pretty sure that was a 5 liter
Your correct. They did bump up from a 3 liter V8 to a 5 liter V8. Interesting thing about Toyota and V8 engine is most people don't think of Toyota having V8 engines till the Lexus LS400 or the Tundra Trucks. They were putting push rod V8 engines in JDM Luxury model Toyota cars in Japan all through the 1960s. Currently they have a VVTI 1GZ-FE 5.0L V12 engines in Japan in there luxury cars. As always. The United States only sees a portion of the variety of vehicle models and engines Toyota builds.
#34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace View Post
I never said anything about Toyota racing heritage, I am talking about the road cars/engines that us normal folks can buy. The race engines and achivements are impressive for sure but don't effect the general public,

I am not a guy that cares what a company can do in a race series if that same level of performance doesn't make it into the street car (take corvette for example, most of the tech is directly from the track and you can almost build the vette track car (minus top secrete racing tech of course) with off the shelf parts from GM)

The rally version of the 3sgte engine for example is a beast of an engine but is also one of the rarest things ever. Only seen one for sale in 10+ years and it was just parts.

The 3sgte itself on the other hand is quite weak compared to other offerings of the era. It also makes a quite a bit less power.

3sgte generally maxes out around ~17psi and/or ~350-400whp with pump gas on a stock block before something goes wrong. Either cracked block, broken pistons, cracked sleeve, or several other issues.

The 4g63 from the era regularly runs 25-30psi and/or ~500whp on pump gas on a stock block. Both making more power and being much stronger.

Same for the SR, EJ and basically all honda performance engines (although they have to run less boost they make more power). The 3sgte when fully built can match them but it costs a LOT more. Take the 700whp stock block hondas running around.

Toyotas are great, I love them. But I am also realistic about them and what they are both good at and are not. I am not blinded by brand loyalty as I appreciate all cars for their strengths and weaknesses.

If you can find me one of those 3l V8 turbo engines I would LOVE one, I would pop it into my MR2 and have a blast. I have been eyeing a twin busa engine V8 for some time, if only it didn't cost $35k.

Toyota of the 80's/90's was actually a fun company, since the 200's though they are THE most boring major car company around. They are luckily seeing this error and trying to change the image with the FRS although that is really a subaru and a fail. The rumored supra replacement is interesting though.

Time will tell if they can become remotely interesting again.
The rambling spill I went on about the racing heritage is where pretty much ALL our currently and recent model engines derived from. Wiithout the R&D that was going on in the 1960 and 1970s. Our productions models during the 1980s and later wouldn't have seen the twin cam 4 valve per cylinder Hemi heads along with other engine design improvements that rolled into the production model vehicles. Pretty much all auto makers eventually adapt some sort of cutting edge design used in the racing scene eventually trickles down into production consumer model vehicles.

I totally agree with you on the Honda engines and the superior performance they have in there engines. I think they share a lot with the technology and designs used in the high performance motorcycles they also build. Honda builts some amazing high revving hi horsepower 4 cylinder motorcycles. It only makes sense that some of that R&D would also fall into the car side of Honda. However, if Honda could produce a rear wheel drive vehicle to put some of their amazing engines into. I'd be more interested. Front wheel drive cars do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ME!! Honda had the right idea with the S2000 but that didn't become a ordinary common car like a Civic or Accord. Honda has seen huge success with the Civics and Accords so their market is a huge following of the reliable good running cars they have become well adapted to the front wheel drive fans. In my opinion, Toyota Celicas and Corollas lost it when they went Front wheel drive in the mid 80s. Don't get me wrong, The Corolla adapted to the front wheel drive market amazing well, But I wouldn't ever own one. So much is lost in the fun driving experience when your car becomes front wheel drive. Toyota surprisingly did notice the HUGE following years later of their last rear wheel drive Corolla. The legendary AE86 Corolla. The reborn AE86 as the FRS. Again I agree with you that its just a rebadged Subaru so its a good ideal that could have been so much more. But its a start in the right direction for Toyota in my opinion. I think the success of the FRS/BRZ will light a fire under Toyota to fill that high performance rear wheel drive car segment they have skipped over. The current HUGE demand for MKIV Supras and 2JZ engines for Swaps should spark some encouragement in the design and build team at Toyota just like that did when they took note of the huge following of the old AE86 Corollas. Suzuki is another company that could build good high performance car engines if they wanted to. Like Honda they have quite the history with engine R&D in motorcycles, but for some reason. That never seem to find it ways into the car side of Suzuki. If Yamaha ever produce cars. They would be one to keep an eye on. You can bet if Yamaha ever build cars. They would be some amazing vehicles. Especially with what ever they stuffed under the hood. Subaru builds some good vehicles. Some very fast and reliable vehicles too, but I can't get past the ****ty exhaust note of a Subaru. Its all over when I hear a Subaru.
#35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergyandy View Post
you cant use a r154 in a 4wd?
No, The R154 is strictly a two wheel drive Supra, Aristo and Soarer transmission used behind a 7MGTE or 1JZGTE engine. The R154 was never used behind a 2JZGTE engine, But the 1JZ & 2JZ blocks are basically the same. the The Bell house used on a R154 that bolts onto a 1JZGTE engine also fit our Tacoma R150F Transmissions which is how I mated the 2JZGTE to my Tacoma R150F Tranny. However, The input shaft on the 1995 and older pre Tacoma R150F Trannys is to short. You will have to ether swap in the longer input shaft from a later R150F tranny or a R154 Tranny. The 3VZE V6 used a shorter clutch and flywheel assembly which had a shallower bell housing. The 5VZ used a larger clutch flywheel assembly and required a deeper bell housing.
#36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Supercharged View Post
The 3VZE V6 used a shorter clutch and flywheel assembly which had a shallower bell housing. The 5VZ used a larger clutch flywheel assembly and required a deeper bell housing.
FYI, on my 3.4 swap i run a 3.4 fly/clutch and a 3.0 r150 tranny...
#37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada View Post
FYI, on my 3.4 swap i run a 3.4 fly/clutch and a 3.0 r150 tranny...
On my 3.4 Swap I did 12 years ago. I ran the 3.4L Flywheel Clutch and all in my 3.0 Bell housing too. I think the clutch fork and throw out bearing assemblies used on the 3.4 Bell housings are slightly different than on the 3.0 bell housings. I know they are on opposite sides of the bell housings. The 3.4 clutch and flywheel assemblies are larger than the 3.0 assemblies. For what ever reason. Toyota did put deeper bell housings on the R150F trannies put behind the 3.4 engines. Who knows, maybe Toyota did it for more air space for better clutch cooling. Maybe needed more room for the release bearing with a taller clutch and flywheel assembly. Could be for a number of reasons. I know when I did my swap 12 years ago. I used the clutch fork and bearing for the 3.0.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode