Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps?? - Page 2 - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran
 
Synergyandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

The weak link in the R series boxes are the 1st gear thrust washer, replace that with a chrome moly one. I did been flogging my r150f non stop for a couple months now. The w56 only lasted weeks with 250rwhp, now Ive got nearly 400rwhp.

Havoc, try the wreakers. I used a r150/151 adapter plate to 3rz bell cos i gave up trying to find a 2tr.
abit of cutting is needed



Synergyandy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
 
HaVoCX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Idaho, Boise
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergyandy View Post
The weak link in the R series boxes are the 1st gear thrust washer, replace that with a chrome moly one. I did been flogging my r150f non stop for a couple months now. The w56 only lasted weeks with 250rwhp, now Ive got nearly 400rwhp.

Havoc, try the wreakers. I used a r150/151 adapter plate to 3rz bell cos i gave up trying to find a 2tr.
abit of cutting is needed

Noted. Thanks Synergyandy! Yeah, i heard about updgrading the thrust washer. Where did you find the R151/3rz adapter plate?? cause marlin crawler doesnt make em anymore. im not having any luck finding one (2trfe bell housing) in my local junk yards but would love to find one.

Sounds fun man, i just picked up that Detroit TrueTrac that was for sale on here by ToRrid. Im thinking there will be much flogging to be had
HaVoCX is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Veteran
 
Synergyandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

That will be the next thing to go on my hilux, the diff. My rear tyres are already bald haha.

I got my adapter from http://www.marks4wd.com


part number - MFK750 cost is $425 + freight, includes nose cone, adaptor,dowels, spigot and spigot adaptor, and bolts.
There based here in Australia tho so postage will prob kill your wallet I was looking for a 2tr for months) even looked in America.
this is it here


another guy with a turbo hilux said his held 500hp with the r150conversion.
this is his thread might help you..

R150 5-speed into a 3RZ 4WD Conversion - Finished!




Last edited by Synergyandy; 01-11-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Synergyandy is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Hey Guys, thanks for all the input. I will follow that advice on if it isn't broken don't fix it. I did pickup a complete low mileage R150F with T-Case for my truck as a spare incase I do scatter something. The tranny I am not to worried about. The R154 Cousin to the R150 are getting up to 800 horsepower put through them in the Supra community. Knowing that, I am pretty sure my 500 ish horsepower 2JZGTE wont hurt it. Its the Torque more than anything that worries me. As most of you probably know. The inline 6 cylinder design produces far more torque than any V6 and most V8 engines. The 2JZGTE is certainly no slouch for Torque. It matches foot pounds of torque almost 1 to 1 in Horsepower it produces. Those of you that have never driven a 2JZGTE engine. Its hard to describe the power till you drive one. No other Toyota Engine produces quite the violent explosion of power and torque like the 2JZGTE engine does. That violent explosion of power and torque is where I think the T-Case might not hold up. My Turbo 6 Speed Supra is almost the exact same weight as my 4x4 Tacoma and it breaks the rear wheels loose at highway speeds. The Supra has a far better weight distribution than a truck and has a factory LSD. The Tacoma is much lighter in the rear and is a open diff or a lock diff depending on if you engage the E-locker. By the way. Anyone know of any faulty areas of the E-Lockers other than the engagement motor? I do need to modify the e-locker so it can be used in two wheel drive.
1991Supercharged is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Addict
 
Texas_Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Supercharged View Post
Hey Guys, thanks for all the input. I will follow that advice on if it isn't broken don't fix it. I did pickup a complete low mileage R150F with T-Case for my truck as a spare incase I do scatter something. The tranny I am not to worried about. The R154 Cousin to the R150 are getting up to 800 horsepower put through them in the Supra community. Knowing that, I am pretty sure my 500 ish horsepower 2JZGTE wont hurt it. Its the Torque more than anything that worries me. As most of you probably know. The inline 6 cylinder design produces far more torque than any V6 and most V8 engines. The 2JZGTE is certainly no slouch for Torque. It matches foot pounds of torque almost 1 to 1 in Horsepower it produces. Those of you that have never driven a 2JZGTE engine. Its hard to describe the power till you drive one. No other Toyota Engine produces quite the violent explosion of power and torque like the 2JZGTE engine does. That violent explosion of power and torque is where I think the T-Case might not hold up. My Turbo 6 Speed Supra is almost the exact same weight as my 4x4 Tacoma and it breaks the rear wheels loose at highway speeds. The Supra has a far better weight distribution than a truck and has a factory LSD. The Tacoma is much lighter in the rear and is a open diff or a lock diff depending on if you engage the E-locker. By the way. Anyone know of any faulty areas of the E-Lockers other than the engagement motor? I do need to modify the e-locker so it can be used in two wheel drive.
Good choice on the tranny but I would stop romanticizing the 2jz the way you are. It is a 3.0l Turbo 6 cylinder, nothing more.

There are old tests of it vs other turbo 6 cylinders from the day, 3000gt, RB26, Turbo M3 engine ect. The 2jz actually came in near the bottom of the pack for power per mod vs these other engines.It was also no stronger, the tests I saw were with stock blocks and the other engines made more power.

The 2jz actually doesn't flow that great or make that much power, it is just a big displacement iron block 6 cylinder that was designed for boost. Nothing more.

It is no better then other 6 cylinder turbos, and worse then many, a truly advanced turbo V6 would be the VQ38, THAT makes great power and is MANY times the engine the 2jz is. The 2jz doesn't even flow evenly between any of it's cylinders, one of the worst head port designs around when it comes to flow distribution.

Heck just turboing a run of the mill V6 will generally net you better power per PSI then a 2jz, they just might not be as strong in stock form due to not being designed for boost.

Never have understood why people think the 2jz is the god of all engines, it is an engine that can make good power and is easy to turbo but nothing that tons of other engines can't do.

A Chevy 5.3 will match the 2jz for low end NA and toss a turbo on it can it can make 700whp+ in stock form just like a 2jz with a TON more torque.

All of that said a 2jz swap is cool and I like the setup, I considered it myself at one point.

2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4l V6 Auto SUPERCHARGED, Meth injection, 2.0" Pulley, Doug Thorley Headers - My truck - My Youtube with lots more
Member of the "No BOV Club"

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 01-15-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Texas_Ace is offline  
#16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Veteran
 
Synergyandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

you cant use a r154 in a 4wd?


Synergyandy is offline  
#17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace View Post
Good choice on the tranny but I would stop romanticizing the 2jz the way you are. It is a 3.0l Turbo 6 cylinder, nothing more.

There are old tests of it vs other turbo 6 cylinders from the day, 3000gt, RB26, Turbo M3 engine ect. The 2jz actually came in near the bottom of the pack for power per mod vs these other engines.It was also no stronger, the tests I saw were with stock blocks and the other engines made more power.

The 2jz actually doesn't flow that great or make that much power, it is just a big displacement iron block 6 cylinder that was designed for boost. Nothing more.

It is no better then other 6 cylinder turbos, and worse then many, a truly advanced turbo V6 would be the VQ38, THAT makes great power and is MANY times the engine the 2jz is. The 2jz doesn't even flow evenly between any of it's cylinders, one of the worst head port designs around when it comes to flow distribution.

Heck just turboing a run of the mill V6 will generally net you better power per PSI then a 2jz, they just might not be as strong in stock form due to not being designed for boost.

Never have understood why people think the 2jz is the god of all engines, it is an engine that can make good power and is easy to turbo but nothing that tons of other engines can't do.

A Chevy 5.3 will match the 2jz for low end NA and toss a turbo on it can it can make 700whp+ in stock form just like a 2jz with a TON more torque.

All of that said a 2jz swap is cool and I like the setup, I considered it myself at one point.
Not all quit correct. Most those other engines were garbage engines and really have no on going legacy. Why? Poor designs, unreliable, nightmares to work on or maintain and not much following. The 2JZ isn't a large displacement engine. only a 3 liter engine. For a Chevy V8 5.3 to make that power had to be a V8 5.3 and its longevity and reliability are greatly compromised shortened quite abit. Take that 5.3 V8 and remove 2 of its cylinders and drop its displacement down to a 3 liter and see if it can make 700 Horsepower. lol. I wouldn't want to be near anything Chevy made the is only a 3 liter cranking out 700 plus horsepower on stock internals. It would be a mericle if Chevy could put a 3 liter anything together to hold up to 700 horsepower! I think most will agree that not many 3 liter engines will RELIABLY hold up to 700 to 800 horsepower on a factory stock built engine.

There is one reason your here on this forum and why? You own a Toyota of some sort. Why? Cause its way overbuilt bumper to bumper. Engines too! There isn't any romantising going on. Its pure observation and fact you will find anywhere you look. If its such a horrible engine. Then why is it being swapped into just about anything with wheels? They are being put in Fords, Chevys and Dodges. Along with many other non Toyota imports that can handle it. If the design is so terrible for performance, Why do they EASILY produce the insane power they do and do it reliably? The key is RELIABLY. Anything can make big power but for how long? The reliability is what has drawn so many to the 2JZ engines. Toyota way over built that engine for what it was producing stock from Toyota. 2JZs are easy to install. Easy to tune, Easy to work on and cheap to modify. Now if you want to talk about a ****ty engine. The 3VZE V6. That should have never left the drawing board! The advantage of any Inline 4 cylinder or inline 6 cylinder is far fewer moving parts. One cylinder head. fewer failure points. Reduce number moving parts lowers your odds of failures. Thats a fact. I'm not going to say the 2JZGTE is a perfect engine. No engine is a perfect engine. One drawback to a 2JZGTE is its a HEAVY engine. It is heavier than pretty much most all V6 engines of its same displacement. The heavy casting Toyota put into the block is primarily why the extreme horsepower freaks get the 1,300 to 1,400 horsepower out of those 2JZGTE blocks. Id like to see a stock V6 block of any type hold up to that kind of power. Goto youtube. You will see all kinds of crazy 2JZ videos and swaps. Videos validating pretty much everything I said here. http://youtu.be/fivkYrgmaCQ Just one of thousands of videos on YouTube.
1991Supercharged is offline  
#18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Addict
 
Texas_Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

No, the reason that the 2jz is more popular then those other engines is due to 3 reasons.

1: Fast and the furious. Before this Supras were cheap and largely ignored, the 2jz was no more popular then any of the other engines I mentioned as well. After that movie supra prices skyrocketed by 600% overnight and shot the car and engine to fame. If not for that movie the 2jz would just be another import engine like all the rest. Before this a 700hp 2jz was almost unheard of, 500hp was considered big power.

2: Due to the increased popularity of the supra the aftermarket went crazy for the 2jz giving people easy access to parts to mod the 2jz. Thus pushing it forward in performance at a much much faster rate then other engines.

3: large supply of engines due to them being used in many JDM cars and being cheap to import. This is not the case for the other 6 cylinder turbo engines except for the RB26 which has proven to be as capable as the 2jz even being down on displacement but it is not famous.

That is the only reason it is considered better now days. The 6g37 for example is just as potent if not more so then the 2jz but due to the fact is came in a low production car that doesn't have much room to add larger turbos ect makes it far more rare to see someone try. Mainly cause it would be virtually completely custom build and cost much more then a 2jz.

Same goes for the VG30DETT, has proven to be able to do the same things that the 2jz can do but no one does due to it being harder to fit the parts in the car. All of these are also 3.0l.

3.0l IS big displacement for a factory turbo engine, besides the American pushrod turbo engines, that is about as big as you will find in a normal car.

The 3vz was a junk engine, why not talk about the 5vz? It has made 1700hp in drag car configuration and that was not even maxed out. That matches what all but the most extreme 2jz's do and maxed out with the same R&D time I am positive it could match them as well. Once again only reason you don't see more is lack of R&D on the platform and it coming in a truck which no one wants to make fast.

So many people are just blinded by the 2jz for some reason, it is an ok engine but nothing amazing compared to other options. Stock it handles around ~700hp, oddly that is also what the stock VG30DETT and 6G37 both also handle in stock form.

The 2jz is just ok, in a car that it bolts into easy it is a good option. Don't build it up to something it ain't though.

2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4l V6 Auto SUPERCHARGED, Meth injection, 2.0" Pulley, Doug Thorley Headers - My truck - My Youtube with lots more
Member of the "No BOV Club"

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 01-21-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Texas_Ace is offline  
#19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast
 
HaVoCX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Idaho, Boise
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

Its getting HOT here, so take off all yerrr clothes... Nah nah nahhh its all the same mom, u guys are like arguing about which tit taste better
HaVoCX is offline  
#20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Any stronger option for Tacoma V6 R150 Transfer Case swaps??

I agree the 2JZ has gotten a lot of lime light. Its intended platform "Cars" are being built and pushed to incredible limits. For now if you want a lot of TOYOTA Horsepower and Torque for cheap. 2JZ. Bar none. You said it your self. Its gotten a ton of research and development from just about any and all import performance builders & accessory suppliers. Its Cheap to buy cause like you said. They were used in lots of cars in Japan and other markets around the world so the vast numbers only make sense that the performance world would take note and jump on it. The popularity of them being swapped in anything is currently skyrocketing and you don't have to look far on web searches to see that. The 2JZ are currently coming over from Japan by the cargo container loads. If I wanted to make my 5VZ V6 come close to the reliable torgue and horsepower that I have easilly tuned out of the 2JZ. I would be out a lot more money to get the same power results. Like you said. Not nearly as much focus on building and modifying a 5VZ since most people aren't interested in going 200 mph in a Tacoma. I love the 5VZ engines. Like my name here on this site isn't any clue. I swapped a 5VZ into a 1991 V6 two wheel drive truck 12 years ago. I Supercharged it. 9 PSI pulley, 305 CC Injectors. Big MAF sensor and all. I ran the hell out of that engine and it held up beautifully. I'm sure if I want to go much beyond the power levels I was at with those mods. I would have to start looking at some beefing up of the internals. Since I have 3 Tacoma trucks. It was cheaper and easier for me to go 2JZ to go beyond the 5VZ power range without doing a fully built 5VZ. LC Engineering wants over 10K for a built 5VZ. My Swap only cost me including buying the engine about $3500 which is a lot cheaper rout than building and boosting a 5VZ. Maybe someday the 5VZ might get some fame thrown their way and everyone will be building and modifying them. The more companies get into offering mods for a specific engine. The cheaper it becomes over time to modify those engines. Competition between companies specializing in a specific engine always drives down the performance cost. Look at the price for Aftermarket Turbo kits for 2JZs in comparison to the Turbo kits for 5VZ. Is a very small market on the 5VZ side so its a VERY expensive undertaking to build a 5VZ. I think for the most part we see the same thing. I don't disagree with your points on why the 2JZ has been raised to fame. As for my intended reasons for this thread. I think I should be ok with my existing Tacoma Transfercase as long as I don't engage the launch control that is factory programmed into ALL 6 speed Supra ECUs. I'm pretty sure if I did that with the 4 wheel drive engaged. Something is sure to scatter which most likely would be the T-Case. I have checked. The launch control certainly is functioning in my swap.
1991Supercharged is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1996 Tacoma Transfer Case taco33 Parts and Accessories 0 01-19-2011 01:02 AM
05+ Tacoma transfer case... ltw9r Parts and Accessories 2 01-27-2010 01:21 PM
Bumper swaps that arent from a Toyota (Mazda/Nissan/Chevy swaps) Chris D. Body / Structural 6 01-14-2008 02:12 PM
Ipod integration option for tacoma double cab 07? pk5 Interior/Audio/Electronics 10 05-02-2007 07:21 PM
Sunroof an option on 05-07 Tacoma? Tillers_Rule Off Topic 1 02-25-2007 05:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome