Thinking of doing remote mount turbo for 2rz truck - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking of doing remote mount turbo for 2rz truck

I am thinking about doing a remote mount turbo for my 1996 tacoma. I wanna buy a stock turbo off another car and mount the turbo under my bed like the sts turbo kit. I read about zips setup and it really seems like the best way for me to go and the cheapest and easiest to go back to stock if I wanted. I was thinking run my stock exhaust with no cat to the turbo then plum muffler tubing back to the intake manifold. I was looking a zips setup and I see his stock airbox and a tube coming up into the stock intake, is the stock airbox even being used? Were would I put my maf? Is there any other vacuum lines I need to move or route back to turbo? I was thinking getting a turbo that was internally wastegated would be best? Do I need a blow off valve? I was gonna tee into my oil pressure sensor and run copper ac line back to the turbo for oil then buy a pump to pump the oil back for the return into the oil pan. I remember reading somewere I need the pump to run an extra minute after the engine is shut off to evacuate the oil out of the turbo? I know some of you guys are gonna think im stupid for this but I just think its the best option to give me a little extra power, most affordable and easiest to put back to stock or keep smog legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Thinking of doing remote mount turbo for 2rz truck

If I were to do a remote turbo I think I would just get one of these guys. Then you don't have to worry about pumping oil.

http://www.compturbo.com/spotlights/oilless

13.165 @ 104.84 1/4mi on 9psi
#3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

then keep it stock and just NOS that truck.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM

(Thread Starter)

Nitrous is an option and probably the easiest option. I really want the extra oompphh to pull my dirt bikes and camping gear up long hills and every once in a while to surprise someone or make a pass on the free way. A remote turbo system cant be made to be reliable on a dd? That oil less turbo is very interesting I have ceramic bearings on one of my bmx bikes they are very cool.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Addict

Quoted: 58 Post(s)

If you have a 2rz then go with a normal top mount turbo or nothing. The kits are cheap and easy to find and the performance will be much better. Bet it costs about the same as well.

On a 5vz where there are not turbo kits made for it, then a remote mount makes more sense.

Far as the turbo goes, skip the stock turbo idea, you can get brand new turbos now days for the same price as any used turbo worth using. Except for maybe the HX35 but that is pretty big for you it sounds like.

Do some reading on here, you will see that top mount turbos are common. They are also more or less plug and play.

2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4l V6 Auto SUPERCHARGED, Meth injection, 2.0" Pulley, Doug Thorley Headers - My truck - My Youtube with lots more
Member of the "No BOV Club"
#6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace View Post
If you have a 2rz then go with a normal top mount turbo or nothing. The kits are cheap and easy to find and the performance will be much better. Bet it costs about the same as well.

On a 5vz where there are not turbo kits made for it, then a remote mount makes more sense.

Far as the turbo goes, skip the stock turbo idea, you can get brand new turbos now days for the same price as any used turbo worth using. Except for maybe the HX35 but that is pretty big for you it sounds like.

Do some reading on here, you will see that top mount turbos are common. They are also more or less plug and play.
^ listen to this dude.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran

Forget the rear mounts I think it is only a options in some cases depending on your chassis like vettes they have almost no space so a rear mount makes perfect sense but the taco isn't cramped for space do a basic turbo set up. I returning back to stock is simple if you want more get up and go try notor just gear it

Munkyw3rkz Fabrications.. SOCAL AIM: Munkyw3rkz
Custom fab, IC piping, turbo manifolds, http://munkyw3rkz.webs.com/ Forward facing manifolds coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode