3rz Swap ECU Simplification - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
3rz Swap ECU Simplification

I'm working on a 2004 3rd gen, 4 coil 3RZ swap into a Samurai offroad Buggy, & hoping to simplify this setup down to the absolute basics. I've stripped a 22RE down to the necessities, & like the simplicity of it. No smog, not street legal, & trail only.

A list of the things I'm hoping to delete:

Evap system
EGR system
Downstream O2
VSS (Not 100% sure if this is required or not)
Everything to do with AC (again, not sure if ECU is looking for anything here)

I've found a few threads mentioning a resistor for the EGR, & some vacuum line trickery for the Evap. (keeping the sensor, & VSC) In the hopes of doing it right, I'd rather not have them at all, rather than just tricking the computer into thinking they're there. What I haven't found is if anyone's found any tuning software that will work for these. Or possibly if there is a reputable tuner I could send it off to & have things completely removed from the system?

Been through several threads on this picking out info, these are the questions I never found answers for. (Most all other questions were answered in Marlins swap thread)

Cliffs:

Does the 4 coil 3rz require the VSS?

Is the ECU looking for something from the AC system, or is this a simple cut it out?

Anything else that I'm missing could potentially be removed?

Does anyone have a software recommendation, or a vendor who could do the programming. (preferably with 3rz experience)

Is this even doable (tune) with the stock ECU?

Thank all for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Tacoholic

Re: 3rz Swap ECU Simplification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrobodean View Post
I'm working on a 2004 3rd gen, 4 coil 3RZ swap into a Samurai offroad Buggy, & hoping to simplify this setup down to the absolute basics. I've stripped a 22RE down to the necessities, & like the simplicity of it. No smog, not street legal, & trail only.

Evap system
EGR system
Downstream O2

I've found a few threads mentioning a resistor for the EGR, & some vacuum line trickery for the Evap. (keeping the sensor, & VSC) In the hopes of doing it right, I'd rather not have them at all, rather than just tricking the computer into thinking they're there. What I haven't found is if anyone's found any tuning software that will work for these. Or possibly if there is a reputable tuner I could send it off to & have things completely removed from the system?

Been through several threads on this picking out info, these are the questions I never found answers for. (Most all other questions were answered in Marlins swap thread)

Cliffs:

Is the ECU looking for something from the AC system, or is this a simple cut it out?

Does anyone have a software recommendation, or a vendor who could do the programming. (preferably with 3rz experience)

This has nothing to do with your questions... but I see you are deleting "everything to do with AC"... you wanna sell it?

Need some ideas? Come see my build [/URL].
#3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM

(Thread Starter)

Eventually, but not anytime soon. Will be missing some stuff too (evap, lines, etc.), as it's a front end / roof damage total.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Tacorvette enthusiast

Quote:

Evap system
EGR system
Downstream O2

Cliffs:

Does the 4 coil 3rz require the VSS? No, you do not need a speed sensor for ign. coil function

Is the ECU looking for something from the AC system, or is this a simple cut it out? Just remove it, wont be a problem and will not affect ECU operation.

Anything else that I'm missing could potentially be removed? Nothinig that will be a benefit, you got it pretty much covered

Does anyone have a software recommendation, or a vendor who could do the programming. (preferably with 3rz experience).
I am a tuner and technician with years of experience on the 2-3RZ platforms, you cannot tune these ECU's. The only way to change things is with a piggyback computer so you can skew the signals.

Is this even doable (tune) with the stock ECU? Negative, see above, its not like the Chevy or Ford read/write style ECU, piggyback or standalone needed.

BOOST BRIGADE I fabricate custom parts: HEIM STYLE STRUT RODS, FORWARD FACING INTAKE MANIFOLDS, and TRACTION BARS (5 LUG) contact me for more info @ www.Speed-freek.com or just PM me here THANKS!
Former Lexus / Toyota tech
#5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM

(Thread Starter)

Thank You sir, after a few hours of searching & reading last night, that's pretty much what I had come up with. Only way to remove things is to "trick" the ECU. I had just ASSumed all of the late model OBD2's were read/write.

So, VSS should have no effect on fuel or IGN. mapping? Will I see any SES codes without it?

Also, so far, seems a few resistors for the Evap, and for the EGR seems to be the accepted method of tricking the ECU. That sound right to you?
#6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Tacorvette enthusiast

Quote:
Thank You sir, after a few hours of searching & reading last night, that's pretty much what I had come up with. Only way to remove things is to "trick" the ECU. I had just ASSumed all of the late model OBD2's were read/write.

So, VSS should have no effect on fuel or IGN. mapping? Will I see any SES codes without it?

Also, so far, seems a few resistors for the Evap, and for the EGR seems to be the accepted method of tricking the ECU. That sound right to you?
You are correct, as far as CEL light, you should have none with VSS disabled, I didnt have one for a while and had no light.

I too am thinking of building an off road rig using Toyota drivetrain and Samurai body. Seems like the way to go, light and strong, and will go anywhere, I currently have a Jeep but it is really heavy!

BOOST BRIGADE I fabricate custom parts: HEIM STYLE STRUT RODS, FORWARD FACING INTAKE MANIFOLDS, and TRACTION BARS (5 LUG) contact me for more info @ www.Speed-freek.com or just PM me here THANKS!
Former Lexus / Toyota tech
#7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 AM

(Thread Starter)

Yup, a real nice platform to build off of. I'm fully caged & on 36's now, 1.6 /stock transmission / Toyota doubler / Toyota axles. Loaded with tools, fuel, & me in the drivers seat, I'm at 3050#, 52f-48r% weight bias. It hooks REALLY good, but just lacks the torque to really get any wheel speed. Crawls awesome, but if it gets wet or muddy, you're looking for some ponies.

Original plan was a 22RE, but the 3rz came along, & is IMO alot more engine. I'll probably gain about 300# between engine & transmission upgrade, but for twice the HP, & 3 times the torque, I can live with a few extra pounds.

Not needing the VSS is a relief. I don't have any gauges anyway, just warning lights, & intend to stay that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode