User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2RZ-FE to 2JZ-GTE VVTi swap log

I decided that boosting my 2rz for the power levels that I wanted wasnt going to do it very easily, or have the power I wanted down low so a swap was looking like a good route. There are lots of threads on here asking how hard to do this swap is or if there is a kit. This thread is to answer those questions and as a log file for myself. The obvious answer is yes, there is some fabrication involved, but exactly how much is fabrication and how much is bolt-on? Now on to the log.

Truck:
1999 toyota tacoma
single cab 5-speed 2wd
2RZ with 133,000 miles

Motor:
2JZ-GTE VVTi
Pulled from Toyota Aristo 97-04(Japan)
Miles unknown

Buying the motor:
I knew that I wanted the turboed motor and the vvti and I wanted to see if I could retain a working OBDII interface for emmisions. Reading from other posts about the swap stated that I needed to get the front sump version of the motor which happens to come out of the Aristo in Japan or as we call it over here the GS300. I shopped for a while on ebay and import websites reading reviews and getting familiar with what parts I needed to make sure to have. I ended up buying my motor from jdmenginescorp of ebay as it lowered the shipping rates since they were a little closer to me. It was $2000 for the motor, trans, ECU, etc, and $250 for shipping to residential. The only thing that I needed to watch out for with the GTE VVTi motor was that it is MAF and MAP based and a lot of the swaps dont have the MAF sensor needed to run the engine properly on the stock ECU. Included in my swap was the motor, turbos, 4speed auto trans, ECU in stock ECU box, Ignitor chip, MAF sensor, alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor. The only thing that was not included in my swap was the power steering reservoir and I was aware of that from the pictures before buying the motor.

10\12\2011

Today the motor came in and unboxing it was like christmas. I began cutting back all the wrapping and inspecting the motor. Everything visually looked OK so I moved on. Not knowing how many miles were on the motor I changed the oil. I managed to get the pallet far enough off the floor to get a drip pan under it and drain the oil. When they placed the motor on the pallet the drain plug was positioned perfectly between two planks on the pallet, CAKE. Next I moved on to the compression test to make sure there were no huge issues with the motor. Everything testes 150 +/-4 PSI which is great. The PSI number isnt the important thing especially since it was a Harbor Freight gauge but the key was that all the cylinders were close to each other. I had to take a crash course on how to hit the starter with no wiring hooked up by that was solved by jumper cables to the starter and alligator clips to the solenoid. I also installed new spark plugs. NGK was the way to go.

I will continue this later today. Hope you guys like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-04142752.jpg (41.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-04154444.jpg (51.0 KB, 38 views)

Life at ....oops the speedometer doesnt go that high

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 01-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Re: 2RZ-FE to 2JZ-GTE VVTi swap log

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlazeRacer View Post
I decided that boosting my 2rz for the power levels that I wanted wasnt going to do it very easily, or have the power I wanted down low so a swap was looking like a good route. There are lots of threads on here asking how hard to do this swap is or if there is a kit. This thread is to answer those questions and as a log file for myself. The obvious answer is yes, there is some fabrication involved, but exactly how much is fabrication and how much is bolt-on? Now on to the log.

Truck:
1999 toyota tacoma
single cab 5-speed 2wd
2RZ with 133,000 miles

Motor:
2JZ-GTE VVTi
Pulled from Toyota Aristo 97-04(Japan)
Miles unknown

Buying the motor:
I knew that I wanted the turboed motor and the vvti and I wanted to see if I could retain a working OBDII interface for emmisions. Reading from other posts about the swap stated that I needed to get the front sump version of the motor which happens to come out of the Aristo in Japan or as we call it over here the GS300. I shopped for a while on ebay and import websites reading reviews and getting familiar with what parts I needed to make sure to have. I ended up buying my motor from jdmenginescorp of ebay as it lowered the shipping rates since they were a little closer to me. It was $2000 for the motor, trans, ECU, etc, and $250 for shipping to residential. The only thing that I needed to watch out for with the GTE VVTi motor was that it is MAF and MAP based and a lot of the swaps dont have the MAF sensor needed to run the engine properly on the stock ECU. Included in my swap was the motor, turbos, 4speed auto trans, ECU in stock ECU box, Ignitor chip, MAF sensor, alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor. The only thing that was not included in my swap was the power steering reservoir and I was aware of that from the pictures before buying the motor.

10\12\2011

Today the motor came in and unboxing it was like christmas. I began cutting back all the wrapping and inspecting the motor. Everything visually looked OK so I moved on. Not knowing how many miles were on the motor I changed the oil. I managed to get the pallet far enough off the floor to get a drip pan under it and drain the oil. When they placed the motor on the pallet the drain plug was positioned perfectly between two planks on the pallet, CAKE. Next I moved on to the compression test to make sure there were no huge issues with the motor. Everything testes 150 +/-4 PSI which is great. The PSI number isnt the important thing especially since it was a Harbor Freight gauge but the key was that all the cylinders were close to each other. I had to take a crash course on how to hit the starter with no wiring hooked up by that was solved by jumper cables to the starter and alligator clips to the solenoid. I also installed new spark plugs. NGK was the way to go.

I will continue this later today. Hope you guys like it.
Hella Jelly!

#3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
[]D [] []D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

NICELY DONE!

'14 SWP STI
#4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Tacoholic

This will be my route after my 2rz blows up. Take detailed notes for all of our sake! It would be greatly appreciated.

"subscribed to thread"

Need some ideas? Come see my build [/URL].

Last edited by Josh Taco; 10-24-2011 at 02:22 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Grand Tacoholic

nice, i'll be watching this one

O.G.SpacePimp
#6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM

I will also be watching this thread because I already have my donor engine (2JZ-GE+T) but have not installed it yet. I am really looking forward to it and watching a build thread will motivate me to get on it! Thanks in advance for the motivation!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Sweet, good luck with the build! Please tell me you are going to get a proper manual transmission for this swap, automatic is lame.

QA1 First 100 club "Clone me out cah me nah poppy show"
#8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Tacorvette enthusiast

I was going to take that route as well, but decided to go with the LS1 just since I havent seen another one, motor swaps are just KOOL.

I believe Turbo Dave on this site has parts for the conversion on his website...that may help you out a bit.

I love my swap, tons of torque off idle and has a linear power curve like a diesel! And I havent even squeezed any extra power from it yet...

BOOST BRIGADE I fabricate custom parts: HEIM STYLE STRUT RODS, FORWARD FACING INTAKE MANIFOLDS, and TRACTION BARS (5 LUG) contact me for more info @ www.Speed-freek.com or just PM me here THANKS!
Former Lexus / Toyota tech
#9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Hey congrats i have the same swap and i love it i made 384 hp stock i also have some parts if you thinkin of goin stick r154 or w58 r154 clutch kit tail shaft i also have ecu and airflow sencer got a few more parts if you intrested here is my number 201 779 4747i will give you a few pointersof what to espect kool
#10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Veteran

here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 582.jpg (52.5 KB, 240 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode