#1 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Direct port methanol injection

Why ? Because I can

I'm fabricating my new intake manifold. Methanol is next and instead of a single nozzle at the throttle body, I was considering direct port with some nice hard lines etc.... I'm not sure about what injectors/nozzles to use, and what bungs to weld into manifold.. I had meth on my turbo ranger, and I still have the fittings, solonoid, nozzle etc. from that. All I really need is a pump to get it in the tacoma, but while it's all torn apart I'd like to do direct port, just because. I want to do it all pretty with polished stainless hard lines. Can anyone point me in a specific direction ? I've been googling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:06 AM

Re: Direct port methanol injection

Do you have a supercharger? The bower will vaporize the mix i would think. At least that is how I picture it in my mind. Keep in mind I am drunk.

EDIT: OK dur, i see in your sig you a 3rz. Nevermind
#3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Hal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznlife1 View Post
Why ? Because I can

I'm fabricating my new intake manifold. Methanol is next and instead of a single nozzle at the throttle body, I was considering direct port with some nice hard lines etc.... I'm not sure about what injectors/nozzles to use, and what bungs to weld into manifold.. I had meth on my turbo ranger, and I still have the fittings, solenoid, nozzle etc. from that. All I really need is a pump to get it in the Tacoma, but while it's all torn apart I'd like to do direct port, just because. I want to do it all pretty with polished stainless hard lines. Can anyone point me in a specific direction ? I've been googling
do you run an inter-cooler? The idea of direct injection has been done at our shop a few times. We ran into control and uneven mixture levels. now the injectors were at about middle of the runners on a 22rte and a an 4.3l Chevy v6. But the mixture never delivered evenly, the outer cylinders always ran leaner on the ends of the engine. This was determined by exhaust temp chamber temp and mixture sampled at turbo outlets. We concluded that the main problem was lack of proportional control, but setting an alcohol - meth program and controls up was just more than a small problem. We are now injecting between throttle body and manifold Thur a custom throttle spacer with twin nozzles and have not had the same problems.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Yes I'm running a large air/air.... I figured direct port would be key to equal distribution, I've been wrong before though.... I assumed injecting at the throttle body would be the most practical, cheapest, easiest. My "keep it simple" attitude keeps rearing it's head and I know I should start listening... Like I said I have a full single nozzle methanol kit already here, I just dont have the pump. I'm dont have an EGT setup, and I was worried about equal distribution. Maybe a dual nozzle installed in the plenum, aimed between each pair of runners

Or just run what I've got at the throttle body, this will be a large plunum, short runner intake, maybe I should consider some EGT probing
#5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Grand Tacoholic

So, direct port is when you place the injectors in the runners?

Vrrm pssht!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred View Post
So, direct port is when you place the injectors in the runners?
yes, just like the fuel injectors
#7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Grand Tacoholic

LUCKY!!

Vrrm pssht!
#8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Tacorvette enthusiast

Im going to do the same...Just gotta find a place to get the parts for cheap, seems Devilsown.com has good prices on this stuff.

I think I will use 1 injector do to the possible problems, I would hate to have 1 injector of 3 stop working and ruin the engine. The only way I would do 4 nozzles is if I had EGT per cylinder.

Edit:Cant spell

BOOST BRIGADE I fabricate custom parts: HEIM STYLE STRUT RODS, FORWARD FACING INTAKE MANIFOLDS, and TRACTION BARS (5 LUG) contact me for more info @ www.Speed-freek.com or just PM me here THANKS!
Former Lexus / Toyota tech

Last edited by Speed Freek; 09-14-2008 at 11:52 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Hal
Enthusiast

The only way I believe direct injection will work would be with a very high pressure injector to be sure of complete vaporization before the air/ alcohol mix separate down the individual runners. Quick note checking tempts is critical. If you are going to try this get a pair of exhaust temp from at least two cylinders. On a tune up run you can use an infrared no touch thermometer.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Veteran

If you are running an intercooler, why don't you want to plumb the methanol into the intercooler? That is what I see most commonly with turbo'd intercoooled meth setups.

2000 Tacoma , 4X4 5-speed, TRD S/C , TRD Headers, TRD Exhaust , URD Fuel Mods & 2.2" pulley, URD AFR Controller , URD Short Shifter, AEM Intake , Aquamist Methanol Injection, Camburg Coilovers, 32x11.50 BFG AT's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode