User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adjusting headlights?

The search feature on here doesn't help too well. I tried to find out how to adjust headlights and couldn't get anything, so would someone like to tell me where the little screw is that i have to twist to adjust my headlights down a little bit, alot of people are flashing their brights at me. I'm afraid when i drive behind cops or go by them on one lane roads they're gonna pull me over, and i have a warrant right now so that will most definitely suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Probation

Re: Adjusting headlights?

Quote:
i have a warrant right now so that will most definitely suck.
If that's the case, your headlights are the least of your worries
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Well it's not a very big deal even though i can go to jail for it. I skipped school with a few people and went to get some food during our lunch break and got tickets for daytime curfew. Then i accidently missed my court date and got a warrant served so.. i've had a few cops tell me they don't feel like dealing with the paper work so they just lemme go. Fab you know how to adjust my lights?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Probation

Check the back of the headlamp housings, in the space between the airbox (right side) and the battery (left side). There should be like a plastic piece sticking out, use a wrench and socket to move the headlights. There's 2 per side, one controls vertical, the other horizontal.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Well, here's what the '04 FSM has to say about headlight adjustment... If it sounds weird / incomplete, well... that's what it says.... I'm guessing your '01 is same / similar, 'cause '01 was the year that front style was introduced.

First, there's only one adjustment control on each side, outboard of the headlight units / just inside the fender wall in the engine compartment. Like Fabtaco said, it protrudes backward toward the rear. This controls vertical alignment only. There is no adjustment for horizontal alignment.

I interpret the official procedure as follows (* someone in the truck; springs bounced to relieve any pressure / tension):

- get the truck on a level surface facing a vertical wall
- mark on the wall the level / line directly in front of the headlight bulb / center (i.e., @ same vertical height as headlight)
- back the truck away from the wall to a distance of 3 meters (9.84 feet) from the wall surface to the headlights
- turn on low beams
- the low beams should hit the wall 20.9 mm (0.823 in.) _below_ the line @ headlamp height (based on designed 4 degree low beam downward deflection from horizontal)
- use the vertical adjuster bolt / screw to make this so

This should work on any model, because the spec is relative to horizontal from lamp center, not distance from the ground.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Probation

That's odd...my 97 has both the vertical and horizontal adjustments...I must have assumed that they were still there.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
That's odd...my 97 has both the vertical and horizontal adjustments...I must have assumed that they were still there.
My former '85 and my beater '93 both had / have the dual adjusters. I didn't believe what I was seeing in the '04 FSM until I saw the note that reads "...the horizontal direction is impossible to adjust..."

I don't know for sure that this applies backward to the original poster's '01... I'm just guessing it might, since that's when the last edition of the front end came on the scene.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Grand Tacoholic

On my 2002, there is one adjustment piece on each headlight. It appears to be a bolt with the last 1cm or so that is hex shaped.

As I started to turn it with an adjustable wrench, it began to strip. A tiny pair of pliers did the same. It must be made of aluminum. I didn't have a 4mm socket either, so I had to create a tool out of a 4mm hex bolt, and two 8mm nuts. Then I used an 8mm wrench to turn this tool. Socket wrench wouldn't fit with the 8mm socket, stepdown adapter, and the wrench itself.

Yours might be stiff too, so don't force it. Do it slowly, and make very very certain it's actually turning even if it feels like it... before it breaks. You'll need a flashlight, too.

My Volant intake box would have to come off in order to adjust the right side. Booo. Left side is very accessible.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Tacoholic

On my '02, its just as Enola said, vert adj only, and you use a 4mm wrench to adjust it. I pulled the wrench out of my pack o' mini craftsman wrenches, and I keep it in the truck.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Early morning today (4 AM), I went driving in town with a loose intake box (for access when adjusting), drove around forever, and I could not find a level ground with a flat wall. Everywhere I went, it was slanted. I think I may have aimed it too high. Also, the beams are uneven on both sides, for whatever reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode