Mambeau / Admin
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Off the map
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Adjusting headlights?
Well, here's what the '04 FSM has to say about headlight adjustment... If it sounds weird / incomplete, well... that's what it says.... I'm guessing your '01 is same / similar, 'cause '01 was the year that front style was introduced.
First, there's only one adjustment control on each side, outboard of the headlight units / just inside the fender wall in the engine compartment. Like Fabtaco said, it protrudes backward toward the rear. This controls vertical alignment only. There is no adjustment for horizontal alignment.
I interpret the official procedure as follows (* someone in the truck; springs bounced to relieve any pressure / tension):
- get the truck on a level surface facing a vertical wall
- mark on the wall the level / line directly in front of the headlight bulb / center (i.e., @ same vertical height as headlight)
- back the truck away from the wall to a distance of 3 meters (9.84 feet) from the wall surface to the headlights
- turn on low beams
- the low beams should hit the wall 20.9 mm (0.823 in.) _below_ the line @ headlamp height (based on designed 4 degree low beam downward deflection from horizontal)
- use the vertical adjuster bolt / screw to make this so
This should work on any model, because the spec is relative to horizontal from lamp center, not distance from the ground.