User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4 Wheel drive won't engage

2006 Tacoma 4 door 4x4 Sport A/T - 17,900 miles

Tried to engage 4x4 today and nothing happen, the 4x4 light just blinks. It blinks even after switching it back into 2wd. The 4x4 never engages, the light just blinks. No noises, no grinding, no beeping, just a blinking light. Drives fine as well. Anyone know what a possible cause / solution might be? I'm waiting for my dealership to call me back so I can schedule maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: 4 Wheel drive won't engage

That usually means the system is failing to fully engage (or engage at all). My first guess would be a fault in the control equipment.

Have you been attempting to engage 4WD in accordance with the conditions outlined in section 1-7 of your owners manual?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I do it strictly by the book. Except it's been a couple months since I've had it in 4wheel drive and it recently dropped a lot in temperature (12" of snow last night), so it may not have the lubrication it needs. I have an appointment to get it looked at on Monday. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM

(Thread Starter)

Update: It's working again. I let it warm up real good and the light stopped blinking. Switched it to 4x4 and it engaged just fine. I'm guessing since I hadn't run it in 4x4 for a couple months and with the freezing temps it just wasn't lubricated well enough to engage. Still taking it in for a lube change though.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pips View Post
Update: It's working again. I let it warm up real good and the light stopped blinking. Switched it to 4x4 and it engaged just fine. I'm guessing since I hadn't run it in 4x4 for a couple months and with the freezing temps it just wasn't lubricated well enough to engage. Still taking it in for a lube change though.
You are exactly correct. People don't realize that they should put their truck in 4x4 at least once a month to keep everything lubricated and functioning properly. Between the temp drop and lack of use, something was stuck. You hit the button enough times and got it warm enough to get it loose. Now, just use it a bit more often and you should be fine.

My truck is stockish.......for now.
Monomax's all around. More to come this spring.
Toyota tech, Toyota and Honduh owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode