User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Proper way to depressurize fuel system

So I am goin to replace my Fuel Filter on my 3.4 V6 this weekend. What is the proper procedure to release the pressure?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Re: Proper way to depressurize fuel system

easiest thing to do would be to take out the fuel pump fuse and cycle the engine of if your ghetto and brave, loosen the banjo bolt on the fuel rail if you can get to it on the second method, i guarantee you get sprayed with gas though.. (personal experience on a 2rz)

dumpted since 2/15/08 MMMMMM boos t
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Waxed to Perfection

To change the filter all you have to do is loosen the fuel fill cap and loosen the fuel lines at the filter. no need to mess with the fuel rail..
Once loose, the fuel will begin dripping out, which will depressurize the system. After a few minutes, continue loosening the fittings to speed up the drainage. Then completely remove them, unbolt the bracket, and bolt in the new filter. Leave the mounting bolts loose until the threads in the fittings have been started.

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

i unplugged the circuit opening relay under the dash and ran it till it died. Also take off the filler cap....this was on a 3RZ though...
#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 PM
slow poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
i unplugged the circuit opening relay under the dash and ran it till it died. Also take off the filler cap....this was on a 3RZ though...

yep. same here. just like it says in the tech article

Quote:
PIP: "the worst thing i had was i blew past a cop with the S when i dropped it in 2nd. So he heard the cat dying under the hood and flipped the lights immediately"
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 PM
re-TRD-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoc View Post
To change the filter all you have to do is loosen the fuel fill cap and loosen the fuel lines at the filter. no need to mess with the fuel rail..
Once loose, the fuel will begin dripping out, which will depressurize the system. After a few minutes, continue loosening the fittings to speed up the drainage. Then completely remove them, unbolt the bracket, and bolt in the new filter. Leave the mounting bolts loose until the threads in the fittings have been started.
Please dont do this! Youll end up with gas everywhere and risk a fire! You NEED to depressurize your fuel system first. Follow the steps in the the CT maintenance tech article for replacing your fuel filter. Its pretty simple, just did mine a few months back following the article step by step and it was easy. Click the link below for the article.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=175

#7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Waxed to Perfection

It is posted on several forums on the how to: tips.. But here it is for you to read yourselves.. I have never pulled a fuse or loosened the banjo fitting..

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/fuelfilter/index.html

SPECIAL WARNING (Because America is a litigious society full of dolts and trial lawyers who love them)
Hey Cletus, if you are stupid enough to be smoking while doing this mod, you've earned your right to be in the idiots hall of fame. If you are dumb enough to be lighting matches to see where the fuel is leaking from, you'll probably become your neighborhood's first car bomb casualty. If your idiot chain smoking friend comes by for a visit, encourage him to raid your fridge and watch Sports Center while you finish this. Do anything to keep him from visiting you underneath your car. Nancy Kerrigan him or something. Do anything, just keep those flames away!!!

Step 1: Locating the Fuel Filter
For whatever reason, people seem to have a hard time finding this little bugger. Look at the pictures below. The fuel filter is located on the driver's side of the vehicle. In fact, the area under the steering wheel is almost directly above the fuel filter. Imagination aside, the fuel filter sits just inside the driver's side frame rail, slightly behind the front crossmember and slightly to the left of the driveshaft and the front transfer case (if you have 4WD).

Step 1: Depressurizing and Removing the Fuel Line Compression Fittings
First, put on your goggles or any other kind of eye protection. You'll thank me for it later. Begin by opening your gas cap to partially depressurize your fuel line. Of note, if you want to fully depressurize the fuel lines, take out the pump fuse and start the engine. This is optional and does not need to be done, but just for your reference.

Next, spray a good amount of penetrant on the compression fitting threads to start the loosening process. I found on my 4runner that the front one was the most difficult of the two because of the tight space not allowing for good leverage. I positioned myself to work on the front compression fitting by working from the front of the cross member. Much easier.

Grab the front fuel line for stability and loosen the front compression fitting. Using a 14mm crow's foot wrench w/ a rachet is the best tool for the job, but I got by with a regular 14mm combo wrench. Next, remove the rear compression fitting and then pull both fittings back *away* from the fuel filter.

When you remove either of the fittings, you will see that the fuel will start to drip and/or spill out. Place your bucket underneath the fuel filter and let it drain until there's a slow drip. If you give it a few good shakes, more should come out.

Step 2: Removing the Fuel Filter Mounting Screws and Fuel Filter
Save yourself some headache and go find your 6" ratchet extension. Put a deep 10mm socket on the end of the extension and rachet and remove the two mounting screws. The 6" extension will allow you to rotate the rachet at full circles vs tiny little ones.

Shake the fuel filter loose. At this point, alot of fuel will drip out. More than you probably expect. It's completely normal so just shake it loose and then put in a safe place away from flames to drain.

Step 3: Mounting the Fuel Filter
One common question is "proper orientation of the fuel filter." Looking at the top and bottom of the filter, it is stamped either "In" or "Out". The "In" side faces the rear part of your 4runner while the "Out" side faces your engine.

Put both ends of the fuel lines into the fuel filter. Move and mount the fuel filter upwards and then screw in the mounting threads loosely until it can hold the weight of the fuel filter. Now adjust the fuel lines until they are perfectly seated in the fuel filter and then slightly tighten down the compression fittings. Alternate tightening all the screws by hand until the fuel filter is seated correctly. Only then should you fasten down the pair of compression fittings and mounting screws with your 14mm wrench and 10mm deep socket, respectively.

Note: while this may seem cumbersome, I've read one or two threads where people said that their fuel filters sprayed fuel once they turned on their vehicle. This is from the fuel line not being properly seated because the compression fitting threads are not properly aligned (gaps) and cannot be tightened down.

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode