Throwout Bearing Noise: Real Problem or Minor Annoyance - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Throwout Bearing Noise: Real Problem or Minor Annoyance

Since this summer, whenever my '04 5-speed manual is in neutral with the clutch out there is a distinct whine. I figured it was the throwout bearing and didn't worry about it.

I can't tell if this is a problem for me. It seems that the consensus is that it's not that big a deal. In every thread about this situation everyone has just said "Replace it when you replace your clutch". I've dug around the CT forums and it seems as if a bad throwout bearing is kind of ilke having a cavity in a wisdom tooth you are about to have pulled. Why fix the cavity (throwout bearing) when you are about to get rid of the tooth anyway (ie a clutch replacement).

A hideous analogy, I know, but I don't want to replace my clutch right now at 50,000 miles. Am I an idiot to wait or is it really no more than an annoying sound and I am ok to keep on driving without any worries?

Any input greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
slow poke

Re: Throwout Bearing Noise: Real Problem or Minor Annoyance

I believe a bad throw-out bearing (or release bearing) makes a "ticking" noise, or sounds like "crickets".

If you don't hear that, but you hear more of a whine like you described, I believe thats the synchros. I could be wrong, but mine has made that whine (more noticable when the truck isn't warmed up) since I can remember. I got the clutch replaced 3k miles ago, the whine is still there.

Either way, I'm fairly sure theres no emergency action that you need to take because of it.

<waits for someone else to chime in>

Quote:
PIP: "the worst thing i had was i blew past a cop with the S when i dropped it in 2nd. So he heard the cat dying under the hood and flipped the lights immediately"
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Does it get better or worse when you push the clutch in ? They will go a long time but get progressively worse until they sieze up and ruin the pressure plate. If its not a loud squeal I wouldnt worry about it for now. Thats pretty low mileage for that problem to occur.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Tacoholic

I had a similar problem when I got my clutch done, I had them replace the flywheel as well, with a brand new one, (no re-surfacing) and throw-out bearing with the TRD clutch. Felt great and no noises for the first three weeks. Then I had a kind of chirp, I thought it was the throw out bearing as well, so on my next oil-changed I had the dealer look at, (the same tech that put the clutch in), and turns out it was just the fork catching on the outside of the bearing. So a quick grease up and lube and it was just fine!! They told me throughout all there installs and repairs that it is very rare for a throw out to go bad, its usually something of a bigger problem that took out the throw-out in the process. Good luck to ya!!
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

This is the way I think it works.

If you have the noise when it is in neutral with your foot off of the clutch, and it goes away when you push the clutch in, then it may be the pilot bearing or an input shaft bearing in the transmission.

If you don't have the noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out, and then the noise starts when you push in the clutch it is the throw out bearing.

Then again, who knows....

Gadget
#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

My 01 started the chirping noise at 17K miles...only in the winter when its cold. I have 73K now, still chirps.

Support your troops. Airborne, all the way!
I fought the law and the law won. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 02:10 PM

It’s really great posts.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
This is the way I think it works.

If you have the noise when it is in neutral with your foot off of the clutch, and it goes away when you push the clutch in, then it may be the pilot bearing or an input shaft bearing in the transmission.

If you don't have the noise when idling in neutral with the clutch out, and then the noise starts when you push in the clutch it is the throw out bearing.

Then again, who knows....

Gadget

Gadget is correct. It's most likely the pilot bearing.

A crappy clutch job they won't replace the throw out or pilot bearing. If you paid a retail price for that clutch job, they should fix it. Pilot bearing and throwout bearing should be replaced when the clutch is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode