Truck pulls to the left after brake job. - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Truck pulls to the left after brake job.

Hi all,
I am having some trouble with my brakes, and wanted to run a couple of thoughts past the group, as to what to do. Here is what I did. Stock front pads wore out, down to the wear indicator, it was time for brakes. I replaced the pads with new ones, and replaced the rotors with new ones, but I did not change the fluid.

(I had new rotors here as I had bought new rotors for our 4runner, and they were wrong size. Rather than sending them back, I just kept them for the Tacoma)

The problem I am now experience for the last 2000 miles is that when you hit the brake, the trucks pulls to the left.

Here are my Ideas:

1. I believe it is possible to put the pads into the calipers with the wear indicator upside down. Easy to do this by just flipping the pads around. I was too lazy to pull the first wheel back off to check, and I didnít think it would matter, but now that I have a problem, I am looking at everything. The pads looked identical, so I didnít think it would matter. However, I have read about the leading edge and trailing edge of brake shoes, and thought maybe there is something more to the pads? Could this be the cause of the pulling to the left?

2. Next idea is the new rotors came in a plastic bag. The first rotor went on spotless, as my hands were still clean, but invariably I got my dirty hands on the second rotor, which just happens to be the left side. To clean my hand prints off the new rotor surface, I use some mineral spirits, and got the rotor looking pretty. Hereís the question. I have read that the manufacturers of rotors spray them with a compound or surface treatment, so the new rotor will not rust in the box. If this is true, I cleaned the left rotor of my fingerprints, but not the right rotor. So did cleaning one and not the other contaminate my new brake pads, causing the pulling to the left? I have tried to heat up the brakes, cool them off, and back and forth a few times, with no success. Also, I now have about 2000 miles on them, so if they were going to wear in, and fix themselves, it should have happened by now.

3. Next theory, I have read Gadgets post on the need to change brake fluid, but at the time of this brake job, I wasnít aware of the need. I have since ordered a power bleeder, as recommended by Gadget, and it should be here in a day or two. My question here is when I did the pads; I removed the master cylinder cover, and just compressed the calipers back into the bore with a large c-clamp. This pushed the fluid back up to the reservoir. Since I did this, I have read that it is bad on the anti-locking brake components to push fluid backwards thru them. Could this be the problem of pulling to the left? Itís also possible my brake fluid is saturated with water more so on one side than the other, thus having less hydraulic pressure on one side than the other. This would easily cause the pulling to the left.

4. One more theory, could my calipers be BAD? The truck is only a couple of years old, and I wouldnít think so, but this was my first thought, before reading/researching all these other possibilities. And if they are bad, how can you tell for sure, and should I replace both of them at once?

OK, that is everything I think I know. I apologize for the extremely long post, but putting up as much info into my question as possible helps you guys help me. I really do appreciate your time for reading this far!

I have brand new Pads, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, 3 new SS brake lines, 4 new bottles of Motul RFU600 DOT 4 brake fluid, and the power bleeder tool will be here shortly. Since Iím redoing the brakes, they are getting upgraded as well. Just not sure why it pulls to one side, and donít want to mess up my new rotors/pads if I donít get the problem solved.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Swanie

Best offer over 50% of retail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Addict

Re: Truck pulls to the left after brake job.

Hmm, sticky piston? Or blockage in the line and/or caliper?

Andy Irons, RIP Brother

Last edited by Tirefryer; 11-07-2006 at 06:14 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Addict

I'd say check on your 3rd theory, sounds almost like the right side isnt gripping as strong as the left. Another theory is simple allignment. Sometimes allignment issues are exagerated under braking conditions.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Waxed to Perfection

You did not clean and lubricate the slides (pins) that the caliper slides on.. Brake dust is causing a binding/sticking, therefore your brakes are not equally applying.

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..
#5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoc
You did not clean and lubricate the slides (pins) that the caliper slides on.. Brake dust is causing a binding/sticking, therefore your brakes are not equally applying.
Your right, I didn't. Can this really be the problem? It does make sense that the sliders are now sliding on a place previously not used as the old pads wear down, and then suddenly there are new pads, the sliding point would have changed. It just seems such little resistance compared to the force of the caliper clamping down. I would not have thought that little bit could do this.

What do I clean them with, just a can of brake cleaner, then a coat of wd40? Of course, keeping it away from the pads and rotors.

Swanie

#6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 AM
Waxed to Perfection

brake clean and never seize (resist the heat and lubricates)

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..
#7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Look go and remove the slide pins from the calipers, get some Sil-glide and lube the pins up..You can use Anti-sieze also, but do NOT USE WD-40 you do not want it to get onto the brake pad material. Just coat it enough to get a flim over the entire thing. Install it back in and give it some time to break in.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:28 AM

I believe the slide pins could be the issue, but you did mention that you did not clean the new rotors.

From the factory, rotors are coated in an oil to keep them from rusting. You should always wash them with simple dishwashing liquid before putting them on. You have put some miles on the brakes and more than likely the oil has burned off, but you know for the next time.

Is this just a slight pull, or a major pull?
#9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglex1
I believe the slide pins could be the issue, but you did mention that you did not clean the new rotors.

From the factory, rotors are coated in an oil to keep them from rusting. You should always wash them with simple dishwashing liquid before putting them on. You have put some miles on the brakes and more than likely the oil has burned off, but you know for the next time.

Is this just a slight pull, or a major pull?
It's just a slight pull, but annoying, non the less. I cleaned one side(rotor) and not the other. Maybe the side I didn't clean, has contaminated the brake pads, and will never be right, untill I replace the pads again.
I have new rotors, and pads. This time around I will clean the rotors first, and then install them. Also I will clean and oil the guide pins, as mentioned here, hopefully between all the things mentioned here, doing it better next time will solve the problem.

Better by washing the rotors, clean and oil the guide pins, and replace/flush all the brake lines.

Thanks again for all your input, I will let you know how it goes. Most likely not this weekend, maybe next weekend, but who knows?

Swanie

#10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Tacoholic

i've been told that when you do a brake job, you need to use moly lube on the pins. not wheel bearing grease, wd-40.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode