User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Denso Iridium vs. Denso Platinum for a stock 3.4L

Ok- 1st of all, my trucks 3.4L engine is stock. Just recently I have noticed that one of my spark plugs sounds like it is missing every once in a while when I am at idle, so I figure I am going to go ahead and replace all of the stock sparkies (I am at 27,XXX miles). I did a lot of searching through old posts to see if Denso Iridiums are really any better in a stock 3.4L than Denso Platinums. Pip seems to be the only one that claims better MPG using Iridiums- but he has a s/c (and I am assuming he got Iridiums that were a few stages cooler than his stock plugs) and that could be why he noticed a more dramatic change. I found several other members that claimed the Iridiums were not all they were claimed to be (many people claim that they are suppose to last longer than platinums) and Rednecktaco and another member (I can't remember who) even stated that the plugs wore out in less than a year. I know the only foreseeable advantages of Iridiums vs. Platinums are: a possible increase in MPG and plug longevity. Has anyone else used the Iridiums in their stock 3.4L and if so, did you get better gas mileage and how have the held up? Would you say they are worth it (and if so- tell me why they are worth it....not just "they are better"), or should I just stick with Platinums? I really don't see Iridiums being worth $11 a plug for my application....but I just wanted to see what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Waxed to Perfection

Re: Denso Iridium vs. Denso Platinum for a stock 3.4L

Speaking for myself.. I just (tonight) changed out my Denso IK22's.. They had 45,000+ miles on them (guess).. On 3 of them the electrode had completely burnt off the plug, and the other 3 were in bad shape.. Now, i replaced them with Denso's again.. BUT.. had I known then what I know now.. I would have special ordered the Nology Silverstone plugs.. They can't be any worse..(in fact claims to be better for the money). 100,000 mile plug my arse.. At $12.99 each, the basturds ought to at least last 60k..
#3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Looks like I am going to stick with Denso Platinums and change them out about every 30,000 miles. I've just heard too many people say the same thing about the iridiums....they don't last as long as they should.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I see what you did there

Quote:
Speaking for myself.. I just (tonight) changed out my Denso IK22's.. They had 45,000+ miles on them (guess).. On 3 of them the electrode had completely burnt off the plug, and the other 3 were in bad shape.. Now, i replaced them with Denso's again.. BUT.. had I known then what I know now.. I would have special ordered the Nology Silverstone plugs.. They can't be any worse..(in fact claims to be better for the money). 100,000 mile plug my arse.. At $12.99 each, the basturds ought to at least last 60k..
that is how i feel, mine did the same at less than 25000, hell my 7 dollar(all 4) plugs has lasted longer than the 50+ dollar (all 4 ) denso.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I see what you did there

Quote:
that is how i feel, mine did the same at less than 25000, hell my 7 dollar(all 4) plugs has lasted longer than the 50+ dollar (all 4 ) denso.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:18 AM
[]D [] []D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

everyones trucks are different i suppose.. but i will stand by those irridiums anyday... and no they were not 2 stages colder or anything.. whatever your standard denso toyota part number is... thats what i had.. as a matter of fact, soon when i do 60K maintenance on my truck, i plan on ordering those again
#7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 PM

I dont know the exact situations that these guys burning up iridiums are using them in but. I do this for a living and am pulling iridiums out of cars and trucks and replacing them at 90 -100k miles and they look ok with very little wear and no evident burn marking like the stock regular plugs. The platinums hold up ok but they are supposed to be replaced at 60 k and by then they need it.. Our trucks come with standard non platinum and not iridium plugs , but they are an optional part that you can get from the parts department. I personally would go with the iridiums in my own truck. my .02 cents
#8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I see what you did there

Quote:
I dont know the exact situations that these guys burning up iridiums are using them in but. I do this for a living and am pulling iridiums out of cars and trucks and replacing them at 90 -100k miles and they look ok with very little wear and no evident burn marking like the stock regular plugs. The platinums hold up ok but they are supposed to be replaced at 60 k and by then they need it.. Our trucks come with standard non platinum and not iridium plugs , but they are an optional part that you can get from the parts department. I personally would go with the iridiums in my own truck. my .02 cents
my truck, in n/a and has the factory seal on the valve cover. and two of my plugs the thin part that stics out were gone and the rest were not as long as new, that was less then 25000 miles on them....
#9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

I replaced the plugs in my truck this past weekend.....I ended up going with the original NGK dual electrode sparkplugs that came in it stock (well, they were OEM on the passenger side- it had Denso's on the drivers side). The NGK G-power platinums were actually cheaper (in price,looks, and warranty) compaired to the NGK BKR5EKB-11 plugs which came as OEM, so I went with 6 of the NGK BKR5EKB-11 plugs and my truck is running great. I even talked to a Tech at Toyota this weekend and he said that (in his opinion) with the 3.4L it is a waste of money to get iridiums (unless you are s/c or have other serious mods).
#10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 AM
[]D [] []D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i did have my s/c on when i went with irridiums.. so i cannot judge a n/a gas mileage.. hell i only had 5,500 miles on the truck when i got the s/c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode