User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 02:45 AM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
water dripping from exhaust tip/with white smoke

i started noticing it last week. although it could have been going on for a long time. i cant think of any reason why its doing this, but there is water slowly dripping out of my exhaust tip when i start it up. i havent checked to see if happens all the time yet, but i noticed it again last night and need to take of it. any thoughts as to what it is? oh also, there is a white/grey smoke coming out last night too. i dont think it was cold enough to do that on its own. whats that all about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Flying Low

Re: water dripping from exhaust tip/with white smoke

not sure about the smoke but I'm pretty sure the water drippage is normal... it's just condensation being blown out of the exhaust piping. it only happens first thing in the morning, right?

-ComaJoe
#3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Tacoholic

white/grey smoke?
do u notice if.. or what it smells like...
smoke like that usually means your burning coolant...
check the plugs to see what they look like
#4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

the water and smoke are both completely normal as long as they stop once everything gets up to temp. It all has to do with condensation getting blown out, and vapor being expelled. Once your taco is at running-temp it should stop. If not, there's another problem, perhaps the coolant issue previously mentioned.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:08 AM
slow poke

yeah, the water is definately normal. condensation gets all up in your piping overnight with the dew factor and such. Actually potroast pretty much covered it, it's normal unless its absolutely constant.

now, go start playing "how far can 5,200 rpms shoot this water out my tailpipe..."
#6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Tacoholic

that is your catalytic converter at work
it is turning monoxide into hydrocarbons
w/o it (cat) black soot would come out...and would smell BAD
#7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Probation

Quote:
It's not so bad once you get used to the fumes
#8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 11:30 AM
slow poke

Quote:
his reason sounds way more scientific than mine, so im going to go with dan and revoke my statement.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
i started noticing it last week. although it could have been going on for a long time. i cant think of any reason why its doing this, but there is water slowly dripping out of my exhaust tip when i start it up. i havent checked to see if happens all the time yet, but i noticed it again last night and need to take of it. any thoughts as to what it is? oh also, there is a white/grey smoke coming out last night too. i dont think it was cold enough to do that on its own. whats that all about?
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I'm having a similar problem and I can tell you with 90% certainty that it's a bad HEAD GASKET! Is your truck kinda hard to start? Are you having any mis-fire issues / CE Lights? Try this... the next time you go out for a drive... drive it for like, 15 minutes, get the temp gauge to read normal / midway. then pull over, turn off the truck, and let it sit for 1 minute. then restart the truck and check for white smoke. This'll tell you if your head gasket is leaking... cuz if it is, white smoke will pour out've your exhaust when you restart the engine while the catalitic converter is hot. coolant will squirt through the exhaust pipes and vaporize through the hot catalitic causing a cloud of white steam to blow out've your exhaust after a hot start. I'm having this issue and I'm replacing my headgasket next week. You might also want to do a compression test since you have a v6 (two heads) to figure out which side needs the head gasket and which doesnt.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Tacoholic

Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I'm having a similar problem and I can tell you with 90% certainty that it's a bad HEAD GASKET! Is your truck kinda hard to start? Are you having any mis-fire issues / CE Lights? Try this... the next time you go out for a drive... drive it for like, 15 minutes, get the temp gauge to read normal / midway. then pull over, turn off the truck, and let it sit for 1 minute. then restart the truck and check for white smoke. This'll tell you if your head gasket is leaking... cuz if it is, white smoke will pour out've your exhaust when you restart the engine while the catalitic converter is hot. coolant will squirt through the exhaust pipes and vaporize through the hot catalitic causing a cloud of white steam to blow out've your exhaust after a hot start. I'm having this issue and I'm replacing my headgasket next week. You might also want to do a compression test since you have a v6 (two heads) to figure out which side needs the head gasket and which doesnt.
Thanks for the informative post Colin. I think my supra might have a BHG. I'm going to test this out tonight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode