User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Non tacoma related. 94 camry tranny

I figured I could ask this question on a forum I'm already a member of instead of joining a Camry forum. Its a very general question that could apply to any vehicle. I have a 94 automatic Camry that has been sitting for almost a year. I jumped it off and it started immediately. Only problem is when I shift it in drive or reverse, it never engages. The shifter moves but it never engages. Prior to it sitting for a year I never had any transmission issues. I checked the fluid and I didn't see any on the dipstick. I was on a slight incline so that could be part of the problem. If in fact it is out of fluid, should filling it up fix this problem? Btw the shifter cable appears to be working properly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Non tacoma related. 94 camry tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman1539 View Post
I figured I could ask this question on a forum I'm already a member of instead of joining a Camry forum. Its a very general question that could apply to any vehicle. I have a 94 automatic Camry that has been sitting for almost a year. I jumped it off and it started immediately. Only problem is when I shift it in drive or reverse, it never engages. The shifter moves but it never engages. Prior to it sitting for a year I never had any transmission issues. I checked the fluid and I didn't see any on the dipstick. I was on a slight incline so that could be part of the problem. If in fact it is out of fluid, should filling it up fix this problem? Btw the shifter cable appears to be working properly
i say get the car level (as much as possible). Check the fluid level again, if its not right, then add until it is right. Sounds like a simple fix to me since you said there wasnt any on the dipstick.

Remember when adding fluid to the tranny, transmission fluid EXPANDS when it gets hot, so be careful not to over fill it. There should be two marks on your dipstick, one for cold reading and one for hot reading. Fill to the corresponding fluid level. I recommend leaving the car off and letting it cool, then fill it to the cold reading line. Then start the car and let the engine get to operating temps, then check the fluid again WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. Checking the fluid while its running will get you the most accurate transmission fluid level reading.

I hope this helps and you dont have a serious tranny problem, looks like you might have a leak, so remember to keep an eye on it.

I like Toyotas.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Cool man! Thanks for the reply. It won't even engage in neutral so I can't get it off of the incline. So I'm thinking of draining it, adding 2 quarts of fluid(recommends 3.5) hoping it engages so I can get it on flat ground, and topping it off

#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quote:
Cool man! Thanks for the reply. It won't even engage in neutral so I can't get it off of the incline. So I'm thinking of draining it, adding 2 quarts of fluid(recommends 3.5) hoping it engages so I can get it on flat ground, and topping it off
If the manual says It holds 3.5 quarts then id put 3.5 in it, you dont want to starve an automatic especially. Heat means death for autos, and fluid helps dissipate that heat.

I like Toyotas.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Put transmission fluid in it and it ran great! Moderators feel free to delete this non Tacoma related thread. Thanks!

#6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quote:
Put transmission fluid in it and it ran great! Moderators feel free to delete this non Tacoma related thread. Thanks!
glad the fluid is all it needed...man i hate automatics...

I like Toyotas.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Yea me too. My 5 speed 96 taco has 240,000 miles on it and I have yet to touch the tranny fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode