Man. Trans. Downshifting problems... - Page 3 - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Man. Trans. Downshifting problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatic1 View Post
do you dd that truck?
But of course...an average of 2 miles per day during the week...

QA1's and BJ Flip up front, Drop leafs and beefed blocks out back, Celica Seats, decent sound system w/some 10's, W58 swap, 3.73 gears w/Detroit True Trac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Grand Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
Any chance you've bent or broken something in the shifter / linkage? Bushings? Etc.?
anything is possible i guess...

how do you remove the shifter without removing that whole access plate along with my SS? i know there is a way, but i cant remember how my dad did it on my old '87 toy...

is it believable to say that something is bent or broken and the gears still work from first through fifth shifting up, but then shifting down only fifth through third work...

QA1's and BJ Flip up front, Drop leafs and beefed blocks out back, Celica Seats, decent sound system w/some 10's, W58 swap, 3.73 gears w/Detroit True Trac.
#23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Tacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout_taco_stidham View Post
these are my thoughts...better just start lookin for a replacement tranny...671 what year was yours? lol
I think mine was from an 87 non-turbo supra I believe. And I daily drive my truck when I don't drive my 05 tundra!

BOOSTED 2RZ @ 434hp 368tq @ 18PSI/ OEF 10-11
#24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Quote:
... is it believable to say that something is bent or broken and the gears still work from first through fifth shifting up, but then shifting down only fifth through third work...
It's a long shot, but ...

If it turns out the tranny is OK and it's the shifter / linkage that's somehow messed up, you're gonna kick yourself when you find out you didn't have to pull the whole tranny out ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Grand Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

UPDATE!!!

found out today that if i avoid third gear all together then it shifts just fine, in and out of every gear just like normal...except third gear of course. As soon as i tried third and then downshift to second, it wasnt havin it. Can a single gear cause this kind of problem, or a single synchro...man i wish i knew more of how the inside of the tranny worked...but i guess ill learn eventually right? lol

#26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Grand Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671taco View Post
I think mine was from an 87 non-turbo supra I believe. And I daily drive my truck when I don't drive my 05 tundra!
i forgot about your build thread, im gunna check that out...i remember there was a bunch of useful info in it about your swap...that made me jelly, lol

#27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
UPDATE!!!

found out today that if i avoid third gear all together then it shifts just fine, in and out of every gear just like normal...except third gear of course. As soon as i tried third and then downshift to second, it wasnt havin it. Can a single gear cause this kind of problem, or a single synchro...man i wish i knew more of how the inside of the tranny worked...but i guess ill learn eventually right? lol
Soooooo ... It *does* have something to do with 3rd gear after all.

When I read your original post I thought that slam into 3rd at around 50 mph must have been the probable cause, but couldn't figure out why the subsequent symptoms all had to do with 1st and 2nd.

I still don't know what could be messed up about 3rd and cause shifting problems with 1st and 2nd.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

5th to 3rd doesn't seem like it would make the truck jerk to slow down that bad...3rd is my downshift gear, I downshift at 45-50 mph all the time and it doesn't jerk that bad.

I have however accidentally gone into 2nd trying to upshift into 4th going onto the high way around 60mph but immediately clutched in to get out of it. No issues though.
#29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Grand Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
Soooooo ... It *does* have something to do with 3rd gear after all.

When I read your original post I thought that slam into 3rd at around 50 mph must have been the probable cause, but couldn't figure out why the subsequent symptoms all had to do with 1st and 2nd.

I still don't know what could be messed up about 3rd and cause shifting problems with 1st and 2nd.
i know...it just doesn't make since...but everything def works fine if i avoid 3rd all together

#30 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Actually, it does seem to make sense ...

The 3rd gear is located on the output shaft immediately forward(?) of the 2nd gear, which is in turn located immediately forward(?) of the 1st gear.

Here (attached) is an illustration showing the relative locations of these 3 gears on the output shaft.

If something was broken or screwed up with the 3rd gear (or associated components), it might throw off something about the output shaft that would affect the ability to engage the other two gears on that same shaft. That would be 1st and 2nd - precisely the two gears you report having trouble with.

That's about all I can tell ... I don't claim to be a transmission expert ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96-W59-OutputShaft-A.jpg (42.1 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode