TRD rear locker - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TRD rear locker

Anyone know where to get a replacement for the TRD rear locker, besides Toyota. mine is cooked, and I just do not want to pay $1400.00 for a new one. Thanx and Happy New Year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Re: TRD rear locker

Consider a Detroit Tru-Trac?

About a grand cheaper, and it would do everything you need it to do.

Diverse-Customs.com
#3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The Detroit Truetrac is a much better LSD and a lot cheaper. They also don't wear out.

You can get it from a vendor here, Just Differentials.

When you say TRD Rear Locker, are you talking about the Toyota eLocker, or the aftermarket TRD LSD made by Eaton?

G

Last edited by Gadget@URD; 12-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I presume he means the factory TRD e-locker. If so, he's looking for a locker and not a limited slip differential unit (LSD).

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If your doing mainly highway/street driving, would a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) be more beneficial? how would a LSD handle in the snow?

Curious as i dont want to be ass-sideways on the snow when going skiing during winter.. AND after some researching on yotatech.com and other forums.. looks like the TrueTrac is the way to go! Im stoked as justdifferentials has em for $411

Last edited by HaVoCX; 12-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

An LSD is usually considered the better choice for street use, because it 'negotiates' how much power is applied to each wheel (right / left rear). A locker applies the same amount of power (and rpm's) to both wheels.

A locker is better for low-speed poor traction situations, but the tail end will more easily kick sideways on you.

An LSD can be useless if one wheel loses all traction.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
An LSD is usually considered the better choice for street use, because it 'negotiates' how much power is applied to each wheel (right / left rear). A locker applies the same amount of power (and rpm's) to both wheels.

A locker is better for low-speed poor traction situations, but the tail end will more easily kick sideways on you.

An LSD can be useless if one wheel loses all traction.
cool thx.. i did some more research of my own and find justdifferentials post really helpful. Differential and gear break in basics
#8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Though it has it's risk (depending on the warranty given) the easiest method to replace the rear Toyota E-locker is to just find a low mileage wreck and buy the whole rear and swap it out plug and play. Atleast anyone with basic tools can do it. Setting up a gear set takes a bit more experience to get it just right.
This is usually the best time to explore other options so it's good to look around and compare.

Diverse-Customs.com
#9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM

(Thread Starter)

Considered for sure, but would prefer to keep the TRD e-locker, more convenient, it is either in or out. Thanx for the reply.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

You can convert it to a LSD like the Truetrac, but it is not easy.

You do not have the normal 8.4" diff, you have the Toyota e-Locker that is the 8" diff like in the 4Runners. You will likely have to swap out the entire 3rd member to a 4Runner one that will accept the TrueTrac and you will have to make a slight modification to the axle housing. There is on stud that is in a different location and you will have to weld a cut out area closed, but you can make it work.

Might just be easier to get an entire Tacoma rear axle assembly with the 8.4" diff and install the TrueTrac into that. I am sure you can sell you current axle assembly and locking control unit to someone.

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode