User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gas spraying from fuel lines! *HELP*

Hello. I just went to turn my truck on and noticed a hissing sound. I swore it was static coming from my speakers because it sounded like static but the volume was off. I got out of the truck and quickly smelled gas and saw a huge puddle under my truck. It was a very strong, fine mist. DAMNIT! So I let it dry a little and jacked it up. After it was dry I turned the truck back on for a split second then turned it off. I did this so I could then get under and see what was wet. Saw a WET flare fitting on a fuel line about one foot away from the top of the fuel pump. I narrowed it down to that fitting or the one foot bent tube connecting the fuel pump to the fuel line. I dont know if its the return or the in line. I took a picture of the fitting which is right next to the gas tank, roughly a foot away from the fuel pump like I said. Any CLUE where I should start? Not even sure what that tube is called going into the fuel pump.

MUST TURBO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)
Re: Gas spraying from fuel lines! *HELP*

20121223_021324.jpg

20121223_021333.jpg

MUST TURBO
#3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Have you already tried tighten the flare nuts?

On the prowl
#4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

No...I don't have flare nut wrenches I don't want to screw them up. Last time I drove I wasn't spraying any gas so I doubt it's a loose connection. It was extremely cold when I went to start my truck too. What is that hose called anyway?

MUST TURBO
#5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000blacktaco View Post
No...I don't have flare nut wrenches I don't want to screw them up. Last time I drove I wasn't spraying any gas so I doubt it's a loose connection. It was extremely cold when I went to start my truck too. What is that hose called anyway?
Eh you would be surprised how it doesn't appear to be loose but actually is loose especially on the high pressure side of the fuel system. Some refer to it as the main fuel line.

On the prowl
#6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

OK Ill see if I can tighten it without efing it up. If the line is broke, is this something I can get at an auto part store? I called advanced auto and they said they have it but it's generic and needs to be bent and cut. I think he was talking about the long hard line leading all the way to the engine bay and not the small hose in question. Clueless. Thanks for your input

MUST TURBO
#7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000blacktaco View Post
OK Ill see if I can tighten it without efing it up. If the line is broke, is this something I can get at an auto part store? I called advanced auto and they said they have it but it's generic and needs to be bent and cut. I think he was talking about the long hard line leading all the way to the engine bay and not the small hose in question. Clueless. Thanks for your input
If it doesn't feel like it is gonna budge a little then don't tighten it just as a FYI from making that mistake one time. You might end up in a situation that this part is a dealer part if you don't have a store that makes fuel lines in your area. Advance is thinking hard pipe and not the flexible hose section with hard ends on it at the fuel tank.

On the prowl

Last edited by cmcpher; 12-23-2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Elaboration
#8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Those type fuel connections on Toyota tend to seize up and you can't get them apart or tighten them.

The fix is likely going to be to cut the hard line on each side of the junction with a tubing cutter. Debur it and the slide a length of high pressure hose over each end of the pipe and use two fuel line clamps on each side of the joint. Make sure you have the the two clamps on each end going in opposite directions.

We are looking at a 15 minute repair here.

G
#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for your help FIXEDDDDDDDD I hacksawed it off on each side of the fittings and hosed it back in with double clamps on each side. Time to drank...

MUST TURBO
#10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 PM
StepSIde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
Those type fuel connections on Toyota tend to seize up and you can't get them apart or tighten them.

The fix is likely going to be to cut the hard line on each side of the junction with a tubing cutter. Debur it and the slide a length of high pressure hose over each end of the pipe and use two fuel line clamps on each side of the joint. Make sure you have the the two clamps on each end going in opposite directions.

We are looking at a 15 minute repair here.

G
I did exactly what is written here for a buddy of mine that ran a long screw into his fuel line while installing an amplifier in the extra cab behind the driver's seat. Fuel went everywhere even inside the truck. Simple but very effective fix. I used double clamps to ensure no leaks.

2"/3" Drop~Black Headlights,Bumper&Clears~Custom Intake~MonoMax All Around~Pioneer DVD Player~Rockford T1 12 in a Custom Box~Infinity 1600watt Amp~Kicker Tweets&Mids~Custom Shift Knob~Rhino Liner~ Konig Stampede Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode