02 double cab wet carpet - Page 3 - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Re: 02 double cab wet carpet

It sounds like you may have the cowl area leakage for which a TSB was issued some years ago.

It appears the original TSB was revised to extend applicability to the 2001 - 2004 model years.

Here (attached) is the TSB. It describes the procedure and illustrates what places to check.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BO02600r2-9704-Leak.pdf (62.1 KB, 12 views)

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Follow up - Here's the details and photos of the drip as I discovered it.

As mentioned, it was coming in the lower left corner (driver's side) of the windshield in back of the dash and only apparent with the pillar trim & handle removed. The black windshield adhesive had formed a glob there and the water, as it entered a bit above there, ran down over the glob and then dripped off of it, forming a small stream of water down the left interior and then down to the driver's side kick panel area.

Here is the drip area entry point: http://flic.kr/p/dtcuTb
And a bit closer: http://flic.kr/p/dtcuSA

You can see in the close-up that the glob of windshield adhesive/sealer (not sure what they call it) is sort of a pea shape here and the water is running across it and off the right side and down.

Here is the area behind the kick panel: http://flic.kr/p/dtcj2P

Circled in yellow is the drip trail which looks like a faint brownish line streaking downward. It was dripping off the blue crimped ground wire connector at the bottom. This is a pair of ground wires somebody cut off from an aftermarket anti-theft system that I asked to be removed when I bought the truck. Below that is a towel I had on the floor (bright white).

I was not certain *exactly* where the water was coming in, but two places in particular caught my attention on the outside. First is this close up of the edge of the driver's side cowl at the edge of the windshield: http://flic.kr/p/dtcuRE

That gap sure seemed ominous as if something was supposed to be there and had worn away. I filled this with silicone. The passenger side did not have a gap like this, there was some material there. I put silicone over there too for good measure.

I also found the rubber surrounding the windshield seemed to have a bit of a gap up by the roof on the driver's side so I siliconed that as well, thinking that if a significant amount of water could run behind there, it would flow down into the corner where the leak was: http://flic.kr/p/dtcuQW

I also found this in similar condition on the passenger side and siliconed it as well. I also siliconed the inside corner all around the drip area and all the way up the left side along the pillar.

Rain & snow came through the day after I did this and there has not been any drips since. There WAS, however, a bit of condensation under my feet at one point (under the carpet). It was not due to any drip but seemed to me to be a combination of: snow that got under there with the sill still removed; and/or because it got really cold out while running the heat inside. If so I don't know how that would ever be prevented. I'm thinking of putting some 2 or 3 mm plastic under the carpet pad there as additional barrier to keep any further moisture from wicking up into the carpet padding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8184070000_b98dbb37b8_z.jpg (25.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8184069966_114cef3612.jpg (32.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8184033497_c1f5d777f8_c.jpg (47.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8184069912_3d42e4bb49_z.jpg (30.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 8184069870_9620e66821_z.jpg (21.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 11-13-2012 at 11:12 PM.
#23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Dang dude, great write-up.
#24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetcurry View Post
Dang dude, great write-up.
Agreed!

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#25 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Crazy i was just about to post a concern with my wet carpet and saw this!
#26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM

(Thread Starter)

Follow up -- It's been some months since I last wrote about my water leak. I have an update since then.

First, over the winter my winshield cracked horizontally near the windshield wipers. There was a small chip in the windshield when I bought the truck, and the crack seems to have originated and spread from there. Upon replacement I learned that it was already replaced once before. The pieces are starting to add up explaining the water leak from the windshield -- it had been replaced and wasn't the best overall job. Rust was starting to bubble up just under the paint at the roof line, I had to have an autobody address that first, then a glass shop put in new glass .... all is well with that, but ... my water problems were not quite over.

I observed after very heavy rains that the interior would have an unmistakable stink to it, water was still coming in somewhere. I couldn't find any wet spots. It would dry up and the smell would go away ... until the next heavy rain event.

Two days ago, it poured for a good hour. The next morning, the smell was back. Upon checking the carpets I observed dampness near the rear left door sill. That night, I sprayed the door with water and observed some drips coming down toward the interior side just behind the plastic interior trim at the bottom, into the sill area. I tested all 4 doors and found both rears were leaky like this, and the driver side also had a leak, though much smaller than the rears. Passenger side front was fine.

Tonight, I took the door trim all apart and found that the plastic watershield was improperly sealed. On the rear driver side, the adhesive had dried up and in other spots was missing, creating pockets where the plastic was not adhered to the door. On the passenger side rear, it was a total mess. The plastic was totally undone, held in place essentially by the wires and door opener rods that weave in and out of it. The bottom was pushed INTO the door. I noticed a Toyota parts sticker inside the door with an "05" date and it became clear that this door was replaced. This seems feasible because there was an accident report from March 2004 in the CarFax when I researched the truck before I bought it. It looked like some clown was in rush to get the door parts installed, ripped up the water shield and never sealed it. Amazingly, the water leak was worse on the other side where more of the water shield was in place. I think this may only be due to the fact that the passenger side plastic was tucked toward the exterior so more water was hitting that and dripping properly into the door instead of toward the interior.

At any rate, I just wanted to post this update that in fact I was dealing with different leaks --- windshield from a bad replacement job, and doors (mostly rear) from loose water shields. I had checked the water shields months ago, but very casually, I kind of lifted up the trim and peaked under without removing it. This was not good enough to determine what condition the seal was in, and the water testing proved it once and for all. I resolved this issue by cleaning up the mating surfaces between plastic and door, removing some of the old adhesive, and then applying a fresh bead of GE Silicone II all around and pushing it into place. It's drying right now. Hopefully this is the end of my water troubles.

Last edited by martytoma; 05-31-2013 at 07:00 PM.
#27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Wow ...

Sorry to hear you had to dig so far into it to find the real problem(s) ...

But glad to hear you seem to have finally gotten to the bottom of it.

#28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran

Ok i had the same problem years ago but it started after i got hit in the rear i tried a million things but nutting worked then one day i remember that the truck got hit in the rear so i take the garden hose and put some water on the rear vents then i look in the jack and lug tool storage area low and behold i had water in both of them so that gave me an idea ,I put some tape over the rear vents then put a lot of water on the vents no water got in so my problem was solved. then one day i decided to put a 2jz in my truck everything went well until one day in the winter i took my co-worker for a spin and as we were getting bak on the hi way i spun hit the curb and the truck jumped on top of the curb it was so violent the truck twisted and the seam from the fender weld to the cab right under the
brake booster broke however i did not realize it until i started having water in the driver side again so i started to investigate and thats when i found the broken seam so i put some celicone then did the water test and wala no more water hope this help.
#29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM

(Thread Starter)

stoner - thanks for the suggestions with the vents. Although I don't believe any water to be coming from there in my case (at this time) I will keep it in mind if future diagnosis is necessary.

Currently, I am still trying to make my watershields tight. It rained hard a couple days ago and AGAIN I had some damp carpet. The worst was the driver side rear. I popped the trim again and did a leak-down test with the hose. I STILL had some water escaping through a tiny bubble in the watershield where my silicone job didn't quite seal everything up fully. In addition to addressing this with more silicone, I went even further... had an idea to cut a slit in the water shield, then insert some new 2 MIL plastic that hangs down through the slit to the bottom of the door. The sheet is weighted down with a couple of nickels taped to it. I then sealed up the slit with flex duct tape. The result is that this plastic is hanging inside the door and the water hits it and rolls down right to the drain holes at the bottom, it can't even get to the inside.

In frustration I also tested all the other doors. The rear passenger is holding steady since I siliconed it, no problems. But front driver & passenger side still had some small leaks. Driver was another tiny bubble in the plastic, I siliconed the problem area... tested, fixed. Recall the passenger side I didn't seem to note a problem before but wasn't thorough enough in my hose test, I guess. I spotted a small leak this time. Each time I am testing I am basically creating a mini-rain shower that goes right onto the glass. I hold it there for 20 or 30 seconds, let the water dribble off and pop the door. I know I have an issue if I see ANY water that has made it onto the wrong side of the rubber weather strip at the sill.

So, I popped the passenger side interior trim, and lo an behold discovered this door is also a replacement like my passenger side rear. But the worst part was the water shield itself ---- what a joke! I'm surprised I didn't have a worse leak here. The person that installed this clearly (yet very poorly) transferred the plastic from the old door to the new one. Nobody applied any new rope adhesive, the wires were routed incorrectly and the speaker mounting plastic was BEHIND the watershield, when it is supposed to be on top of the plastic. The whole thing was shifted just a bit too much to the left as well. The person who did this installation needs a good smack in the head. I have no idea what kind of moron would put a watershield on like this, obviously they did not understand the purpose of it.

Instead of silicone on this one I used a different approach. I have some metallic sticky tape that is used for sealing flexible duct work. It is very sticky, resists mold, heat and temperature swings and seemed like a good use case for inside the door. Before fixing everything I wiped down the areas I was going to tape with some isopropyl alcohol to get the best adhesion. I installed the speaker correctly and also routed the wires correctly. Take a look at my before & after pictures ... what a difference! When I leak tested it afterward, I could see no water entry past the door sill weather strip. This is basically how my rear passenger door looked before as well. Now, I will continue to monitor this.

BEFORE:
http://flic.kr/p/eHC8do

AFTER:
http://flic.kr/p/eHC8es

Enola - if you come across this post maybe you can insert my pictures here like you did last time so kindly.

Last edited by martytoma; 06-09-2013 at 09:57 PM.
#30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

Just figured mine out.. The washer/plug for the throttle cable popped loose on the firewall!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode