Overheat after replacing timing belt and water pump - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Overheat after replacing timing belt and water pump

Hey first time poster here. 2004 Toyota Tacoma 87k in mileage V6 engine. I had the timing belt replaced on 4/9/2012 and the water pump was also changed as there was visible leakage on the unit. I have now discovered that the engine is coming close to overheating according to the temperature gauge, when I blast the heat it does come back down. It usually happens when I am driving on the highway at high speeds especially if the climate control knob is in the cold position. I have checked the coolant and it is full and so is the reservoir. I also checked the oil and that is clean and was changed very recently and it is full. There is no knocking or strange noises from the engine which I thought would be a symptom if there was an issue with the timing belt. Upon further inspection I noticed that when I turn on my A/C there is a squealing noise. When I looked under the hood the ac unit is not turning regularly but very sluggish and not in a fluid motion. Do you think this could be causing my overheating issue? Do you think this is just something in addition to the new overheating problem. As a side note prior to 4/9/2012 there were no issues with overheating and no noises, however I did not turn on the a/c unit in quite a few months. Any help from you guys would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you change the thermostat? That sounds like the culprit
#3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: Overheat after replacing timing belt and water pump

Could have air in the system. Don't you need to turn the heater on high or push the button/lever to a certain position? Then try running the truck a few minutes without the radiator cap.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) x2 on the thermostat question. The overheating symptoms could be a sticky thermostat.

(3) The squealing when you turn on the A/C is probably a different issue, BUT ... It might be a symptom of something not right with your belts. Have you double-checked your belts since the work done last week?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman View Post
Could have air in the system. Don't you need to turn the heater on high or push the button/lever to a certain position? Then try running the truck a few minutes without the radiator cap.
Yup, leave the cap off and turn the heater on for a few minutes.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy View Post
Yup, leave the cap off and turn the heater on for a few minutes.
I was also told to have the truck at an incline so the air comes up faster
#7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

that helps, but as long as the radiator cap is the highest point in the cooling system, it will bleed the air out
#8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM

(Thread Starter)

I appreciate the quick responses. I had the work done with a mechanic I trust so I am hoping that the timing is ok with the belt. However I do not know if they replaced the thermostat. Tonight I will try removing the radiator cap and then starting the truck up with the heat on for 10 minutes or so to see if any air comes out. I will report back with any updates.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM

(Thread Starter)

So I ran my Tacoma with the radiator cap off for about 20 minutes. A few bubbles came up to the surface and then stopped. No overheating while idling but it has only ever come close to overheating when I am on the highway after traveling for a while. Last time it happened I was on the highway for about 40 minutes and it came close to the red zone. But ever since I changed the timing belt and water pump on 4/9/2012 I swear the temperature gauge runs a little over half way and prior to that it ran about halfway exactly. I will have to take it on the highway again for a bit of a drive but I don't have time tonight.

After I was complete with the radiator burping. I noticed that when I have the heater set to defrost or if I have the A/C on any setting I get the loud squealing noise and the wheel that is attached to the A/C unit ( i believe its called the clutch) is slipping and traveling slower than the rest of the pulleys. Also the A/C blows hot air

Are these separate issues? Any other words of advice for each problem?

Last edited by mtn984; 04-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

The reason you hear the squealing when you have the heat set on defrost is because the A/C compressor is engaged on this one (defrost) heat setting.

I don't think the A/C squealing issue is related to the overheating unless the compressor is causing a drag on the belt and slowing something else down.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode