Brake hoses, drums, and transmission whine - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake hoses, drums, and transmission whine

I'm getting ready to get some more work done in the coming weeks, so I'm loading up this post with questions. Thanks in advance for the help- received some great responses on previous posts!

1. My '02 is at 96K- should I look at replacing the brake hoses anytime soon? I looked at the lines and they look pretty good. No noticeable cracks or oxidation. There is a little oil on the driver's side hose from the front diff breather occasionally 'burping'. Any idea how long these hoses generally last?

2. I can't believe I'm asking this, but the rear shoes still have plenty left in them. Wouldn't be surprised if they last another 100K before needing replacement. Since the drums are pretty well glazed at this point, can they be resurfaced without needing to replace the shoes or is this asking for trouble? I've just never seen the original front and rear brakes last this long so it has me wondering

3. I'm getting a little whine that seems to be coming from the transmission. This only happens in 5th gear between about 60 and 65. It only occurs when there's no load in the driveline- i.e. down a gentle grade where the engine is neither braking or accelerating. This started right at about 90K and have been running Redline MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 since 70K. Anyone else getting this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Re: Brake hoses, drums, and transmission whine

I would not worry about the brake lines unless they appear dry (cracking or swelling at the fittings). Your's sound fine.
Most of the brake performance is in the front rotors. The rear does help of course, but only a fraction of what the fronts are providing. If the shoes look good, and there is no abnormal wear in the drum, they should be fine, unless the glazing starts to make the occasional and annoying squeal. Only then would I consider turning the drums and replacing the shoes.
I get a similar whine in fourth, lower to mid rpms, increased throttle, but it goes away as speed increases. I'm guessing it's from wear, but it will not really concern me until it becomes more constant under various conditions. Rebuilding the tranny is a big expense, and it really won't cost much more less whether I was to rebuild it now, or if it gets alot worse.

Diverse-Customs.com
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM

(Thread Starter)

Great thanks for the help! On that note, I'll leave the hoses alone since they look to be in good condition.

I finally got the brakes started, and was wondering if the calipers should be replaced? The pistons have some rust on them (see pic), and I'm pretty sure the pads haven't been replaced in 96K miles. With that in mind, should I just go ahead and replace the calipers anyway and be good for another 96K, or is that kind of corrosion acceptable? If not, what is a good source for calipers- I'm thinking Napa rebuilt ones at the moment.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9613.jpg (62.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9614.jpg (52.1 KB, 3 views)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Personally I would not replace them. The rust is typical, and usually the first thing I check is the rubber boot around the pistons. If it's dried out and cracking open, then it can let moisture and dirt in the bore and cause premature wear. Other than that, if the boot is pliable and good, then your calipers are fine. They are usually good for the expected life of the vehicle under normal conditions. Abnormal conditions would be things such as excessive off road/muddy use, salt water contamination.
I did a break job the other day on a 4wd Toyota and had to scrape out a ton of mud before I could even get to the pads. Even then, I was able to clean everything up and the boots were good and sealed properly. I simply advised the owner to thoroughly clean those areas whenever he took it in the mud.

Diverse-Customs.com
#5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM

I have 165 000 miles or roughly equated to 264 XXX kms on my '02 Tacoma. I think you're good to go on the brake shoes because I'm just about to replace mine. The brakes are more balanced towards the front. Brake hoses are pretty cheap so why not replace them with a new set of drums anyways?

If you replace the calipers you'll more or less be buying a pair of refurbished calipers anyways. You could 1. Have the calipers sandblasted, cleaned and painted or 2. Do the Tundra 199mm or 231mm front brake caliper conversion.

If you're going to replace the pads and rotors I suggest on buying a set of pads that have a full surface area face instead of those tapered ones that only apply 50-75% stopping power. Watch out for shotty casting on the rotors. Raybestos or Toyota OEM seem to be the ticket.

Sorry I can't help you on the transmission. Good luck!

I wear a genuine Keswickian dinner jacket. I listen to Stompin' Tom Conners and I have potatoes with every meal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode