Check your 2rz valve clearance. - Page 3 - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Check your 2rz valve clearance.

how does a valve get tight? Cam bearing wear? Carbon build up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTACO View Post
F.M. '''F#$KING Magic'''' kinda like how a ECM works , you just it happens

OO SR5 Tacoma 3.4 5lug slopomatic , TRD S/C, TRD headers,TRD cat - exhaust, URD 2.1 pulley, URD FTC & AFR calibrator, 2jz injectors, 255 fuel pump, IK24 spark plugs, 170 thermostat, AEM guages, homemade methonal injection, homemade rear 02 sim, sprk adv. 20+
#23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Tacoholic

haha like posi trac
#24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM

bwill808,

Do you still have shims available?
All of my exhaust valves are tight so i ended up removing the cam shafts instead of fishing the shims out.The toughest was was breaking loosen the timing chain gear bolt.
Time to invest in air tools.
#25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Oandy View Post
I am not sure. The valve adjustment is fairly straightforward but requires a special tool and the shims. I would call you local mechanic I am sure they can give you a pretty good estimate over the phone. You definitely need to have it done.

You might want to check your compression levels. That will tell you if you already have any problems with the valves.

Got a quote from Toyota dealer $650.00,just curious i would not let them touch my vehicle.
#26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTACO View Post
Usually happens when either the valve face or valve seat (or both) wears away a bit. This causes the valve to sink deeper into the seat, effectively closing the gap (lash) between the valvestem and shim.......... when this happens, the valve does not get sufficient time to cool down on the valve seat, while cycling open and closed. It actually hangs open slightly, and thus starts to burn the valve face due to excessive heat.... almost like a cutting torch on the edge of a metal disc.......
Tight valve/s will usually show as a slight misfire, accompanied by a low manifold vacuum reading at idle........ (not sealing the cyl as it should)
Loose valve/s will emit a ticking sound.

Last edited by HiluxRSA; 05-23-2012 at 11:59 PM.
#27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiluxRSA View Post
Usually happens when either the valve face or valve seat (or both) wears away a bit. This causes the valve to sink deeper into the seat, effectively closing the gap (lash) between the valvestem and shim.......... when this happens, the valve does not get sufficient time to cool down on the valve seat, while cycling open and closed. It actually hangs open slightly, and thus starts to burn the valve face due to excessive heat.... almost like a cutting torch on the edge of a metal disc.......
Tight valve/s will usually show as a slight misfire, accompanied by a low manifold vacuum reading at idle........ (not sealing the cyl as it should)
Have a question going over the geometry of the shim-bucket design in my head. How increasing the clearance with a thinner shim can enable the valve to to cool better. Wouldn't increased clearance cause the valve to sit on its seat longer?

Like to know this before starting my valve adjustment effort on an 03 3RZ with 125k miles. Exhaust valves are all within spec but near the minimum.
#28 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Tacoholic

Quote:
Usually happens when either the valve face or valve seat (or both) wears away a bit. This causes the valve to sink deeper into the seat, effectively closing the gap (lash) between the valvestem and shim.........
is it wear or does the valve start to bend like a umbrella or both?
#29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Grand Tacoholic

My smog guy said a reason for my HC being at the max spec could be i need a valve adjustment. Does that sound right? Toyota wants $395 to do it. I called around and no one seems to do it.
#30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
StepSIde!!!

Quote:

This info is correct.

Just had my valves done at the local stealership. $450 later... only need 3 shims at 10 bucks a piece.

2"/3" Drop~Black Headlights,Bumper&Clears~Custom Intake~MonoMax All Around~Pioneer DVD Player~Rockford T1 12 in a Custom Box~Infinity 1600watt Amp~Kicker Tweets&Mids~Custom Shift Knob~Rhino Liner~ Konig Stampede Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode