User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DriveShaft/Carrier Bearing Help!!!!

2002 Toyota Tacoma v6 2wd Rear Locker 4.30 gears AUTO.

So few weeks ago I replaced my Center Carrier Bearing before I went to pismo. Bought it from NAPA for 120 I think. Came back from pismo everything was fine (No Clunk). Then just this week I have a bad Clunk when Backing up in Reverse Then Going into Drive or visa versa. A Loud Bang Sound happens when I go from D to R or R to D. So I went to grease everything on my drive line.

I Greased Up this thing till grease came out.

Grease Came Out From Here. The brown mark is where it was before. It MOVED. DID I PUT TO MUCH?

Then I looked at the Cener Carrier Bearing. It came off the rubber Housing.

Side Picture. Looks like its been hitting. Center Bearing was lose before Greasing.

I just started to look at my Tranny Mount.

Did i put to much grease in that rear zerk? Because its causing the Bearing to come out.. Prior To greasing the Center Carrier bearing was lose when pushing up on the drive shaft. Now the drive shaft is Tight, Leaf springs are Positive Arch (before was Neg). I assume i need to get a new CB and Tran mount but i want to know if i put to much grease in or is this how it should be. __________________
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03861-A.jpg (39.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03862-A.jpg (38.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03857-A.jpg (49.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03858-A.jpg (49.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03866-A.jpg (47.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 08-18-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Tacoholic

Re: DriveShaft/Carrier Bearing Help!!!!

Jack the truck and see if theres anything wrong in the rear diff. Too much grease will deffinately cause some troubles, I know that how you're supposed to get a lot of pilot bearings out, just fill it with grease until it pops out.

Edit: is there a snap ring or something to hold the center support bearing? I know they are pressed on but I thought something else holds them on too.

88 Toyota Pick up regular cab v6 that wont quit SAS on 35s 5.29's Taco rear On board air home brew sliders, flat bed, and rear bumper
02 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t tinted, drop in K&N, Magnaflow muffler and hi flow cat, HIDs

Last edited by Fatalaczach; 08-18-2009 at 03:04 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)
DriveShaft/Center Carrier Bearing Help!

I posted it in Garage but no replys.

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 08-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Tacorvette enthusiast

Re: DriveShaft/Center Carrier Bearing Help!

The tranny mount is worn, but almost all of the ones I have seen look just like yours, when you greased you slip shaft you hydraulically moved it forward.

I would try and get another bearing on warranty, but the shaft will move back once you drive it a little and it displaces the grease.

You could just try driving it a little and see if everything goes back where it came from..before you start throwing money at it...

BOOST BRIGADE I fabricate custom parts: HEIM STYLE STRUT RODS, FORWARD FACING INTAKE MANIFOLDS, and TRACTION BARS (5 LUG) contact me for more info @ www.Speed-freek.com or just PM me here THANKS!
Former Lexus / Toyota tech
#5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
BOOSTPIMP

Re: DriveShaft/Center Carrier Bearing Help!

Inland Driveline in ontario has a poly center support im sure they could build into your shaft to rid of the stock stupid useless one.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Well guys went to toyota and bought a $200 dollar carrier bearing... Put it in and everythings back to normal. But now I have a issue that still remains. When shifting to Revers to Drive or other way around. Or even From Park To Reverse I makes a loud "Ping" And the truck feels as though I have been rear ended HARD. Can a warn transmission mount cause this. 60k on the truck truck is salvaged from me T boning someone. It doesn't sound like axle wrap feels like something in the shifter. I check the transmission mount and it moves a lot compared to my brothers truck.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Addict

i wounder if it could be your ring or pinion has a broken tooth?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

I just replaced it with a locker. The first time i had it i replaced the carrier bearing now its doing it again so i replaced the carrier bearing. Now it didn't help. How much is a Tranny mount From Toyota?

I have a no slip locker installed as well. No problems till I had to replace the carrier bearing.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaDrifter View Post
Well guys went to toyota and bought a $200 dollar carrier bearing... Put it in and everythings back to normal. But now I have a issue that still remains. When shifting to Revers to Drive or other way around. Or even From Park To Reverse I makes a loud "Ping" And the truck feels as though I have been rear ended HARD. Can a warn transmission mount cause this. 60k on the truck truck is salvaged from me T boning someone. It doesn't sound like axle wrap feels like something in the shifter. I check the transmission mount and it moves a lot compared to my brothers truck.
About a year ago my support bearing went out. I went to Napa bought one from there didnt even last a year maybe 7k miles and it went out. The napa bearings are junk i ended up going with a toyota bearing also. The Loud ping is something in your transmission. I had that same issue. I took it to the transmission shop that replaced my transmission they told me they drained it, flushed it, changed filter adjusted my kickdown cable and its about 75% gone. The first time i heard the ping and it was getting worst i blew out my overdrive. Good luck may be worth taking to a reliable transmission shop to have them look at it. the service cost me like 130 bucks.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Thank you someone that cares! Thanks Chris. You still getting the Huge Bang or Clunk feel when going into Drive or Reverse?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode