User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool what makes a good paint job ?

Could anyone help clarify for me what it takes to have a good paint job? how many layers of what, prep and all that. ..thanks !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Tacoholic

Re: what makes a good paint job ?

It's all in the prep work man. If you do a good job of getting it primed and sanded nice then when you spray the base you won't have a problem. As far as layers and stuff it can vary a little bit you can do like 3 or 4 and then spray the clear...some like to do more I think the last time I painted I did 4. You also have to wait I think something like 5 minutes in between coats (could be more but it's been a while) Then you wait about 20 minutes and spray the clear. Some guys like to spray the clear on really heavy so they can wet sand out any imperfections and stuff...which isn't a bad idea if you haven't painted before. The main thing though is prep, if you prep everything good, and all goes well when spraying it it will come out good. Be sure not to allow large temperature changes when painting (such as painting in the winter someone opens the door and cold air blows in) and make sure you figure out some way to keep the dust down. I know a guy who covers his single car garage completely in plastic dropcloth stuff and then mists the entire place down with water to keep the dust down...it was a lot of work but successful. I'm sure others will have better advice for you as I don't paint very often and when I do it's usually something like a gas tank for a bike or stuff like that.

The taco is back and on the boost!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

The prepping/body work makes a good paintjob, anyone can learn how to paint in like a day or two. Prepping/body takes lots of experience, and I manage a body shop too so I pretty much see everything that goes on in the shop. All depends on what exactly you want to know?

-2008 BSP "Special Edition" offroad Taco-
#4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

what do they do for like a stock paint job ? how many layers and such ? ..i'm asking because i had a paint job done (just the front) like 4 or 5 years ago and now the hood is starting to chip and i have these weird little circles (i think from rain drying on it) on my hood . it rained in the AM , didn't clean it and then when i did wash my car it left all these little circle things on my hood!!! acid rain ftw..and i also got quoted for 550 to paint my car and wasn't sure if it was a good deal or not .

#5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast

Whar type prep work is need to begin with?

Is wet sanding done all the time? If so, is the whole car wet sanded to eliminate the orange peel?
#6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Good prep, good product, and very good attention to product instructions.... You can have great body work, killer prep, the best product in the world and still have a crappy paint job. Coats of paint depend on product nothing more... nothing less.

I do have to disagree about "anyone can learn to paint in a day or two" as well. Sure some paints are easier to apply but a good painter has to know how, when, how much, and every detail little detail to do it right.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

yea i def. don't want a paint job that will fade and chip in a year or 2

#8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Addict

I would love to learn how to paint. I mean on average how long does it take to prep and paint a lets say regular cab tacoma, start to finish in man hours? I want to totally change the color of my truck from green to Black. I want to drop the engine and pull the interior to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode