User Tag List

#11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Red Clear Tails or Stock Tails

Well I got some 01-04 red/clear tails from ctzen yankeetaco. I'm just trying to find some security screws for them. I'm also waiting on some 1156 pigtails and I'm modifying the 01-04's 921 backup light socket and changing it to a 1156 socket like the 96-00 tails for their backup light. I have some super crazy bright cree leds that I've been using in my 96-00 tails but would work much better in the 01-04 tails because of the reflective coating around the plug area which the older tails don't have. I will post pics along the way.

I tried changing my password to pen!s but they keep telling me it's too short...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 AM
ADMlNAHATER

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

For your backup lights, why not get one of those premade leds on a board with the wiring adapted to fit the socket? Plug it in like stock, hot glue or epoxy the board in place and blow away any pnp bulb.. Im spacing on the name, but someone made their own round fog lightd and made a thread about it..
Then you could sell what you have and recoupe some coin..
Seems like an aweful lot of work for what your doing..

I'm guilty of making little things into a serious project tho.. So I can't break your balls too hard

Last edited by Chris D.; 01-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
For your backup lights, why not get one of those premade leds on a board with the wiring adapted to fit the socket? Plug it in like stock, hot glue or epoxy the board in place and blow away any pnp bulb.. Im spacing on the name, but someone made their own round fog lightd and made a thread about it..

I'm guilty of making little things into a serious project tho.. So I can't break your balls too hard
It was Garetcurry that made them.

QA1 First 100 club "Clone me out cah me nah poppy show"

Last edited by MatosTaco; 01-16-2013 at 09:39 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post

Well that would have been a good idea at the beginning. However I haven't spent too much on what I have now. The crazy Cree led 1156 bulbs were only $20 and the pigtails were only $5. I found some epoxy to use but they will fit in the 921 hole with very little modification. I plugged the Cree bulbs into the blinker bulb location, turned on my hazards and DAMN those things are bright. Can't wait to see what they look like as a back up light.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some security screws for the tail lights. I found a few places online, but they want to sell a whole box for like $20... F-that

I tried changing my password to pen!s but they keep telling me it's too short...
#15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wish i didn't sell my red/clears

POH-KAY
#16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Addict

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Do T100 tails fit my 97 2rz

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Try your local true value hardware store. I bought some security screws from my local store years ago. They are usually in the small drawers above the bins with the nuts and bolts. As for the security bit, if you don't already have one, sometimes you can find a set at the swap meet tool guy, i have. Otherwise try McMASTER-carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2790/=l5xobg

ESCONDIDO LUMBER & TRUE VALUE

437 S Santa Fe Ave Vista, CA 92083-5856

(760) 726-1890
#18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
ADMlNAHATER

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Or just use a little hot glue over the screw head..
Pick it out if you need access..

Maybe a little black touch up paint over the hot glue...
..... or red on the bottom and silver on top just to mask the hot glue

Last edited by Chris D.; 01-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
#19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwikedonex View Post
Try your local true value hardware store. I bought some security screws from my local store years ago. They are usually in the small drawers above the bins with the nuts and bolts. As for the security bit, if you don't already have one, sometimes you can find a set at the swap meet tool guy, i have. Otherwise try McMASTER-carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2790/=l5xobg

ESCONDIDO LUMBER & TRUE VALUE

437 S Santa Fe Ave Vista, CA 92083-5856

(760) 726-1890
Thanks for the info

#20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Well, I finally finished modding the tail lights. I removed the 921 socket and replaced it with a 1156 socket. I didnt have to do anything to the headlight itself besides cut the wires for the 921 socket and connect the new wires from the new 1156 socket. The 1156 pigtails that I ordered online did not work out the way I wanted and they would have looked super Jerry-rigged. So I removed a couple 1156 sockets from an old 99 tail light housing and used that. I had to grind down the front lip of the socket and make the overall diameter of the socket slightly smaller to fit into the pre-existing holes of the 01-04 housing. I then used some plastic epoxy putty to hold the sockets in the hole. It turned out really well and allowed me to use some cree led 1156 bulbs as reverse lights. I will take some pics of it tonight and post them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0646.jpg (51.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0647.jpg (98.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0648.jpg (31.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0649.jpg (35.3 KB, 14 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode