2003 taco rear elocker - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 taco rear elocker

I'm having quite a time trying to remove the actuator from the rear differential on my 2003 taco. Got the four bolts off ok but I can 't "seperate the aluminum from the steel diff. I used a putty knife to seperate the bottom a bit but the top isn't moving at all. I would appciate any suggestions.

Thanks Bob O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Re: 2003 taco rear elocker

Odd ... The FSM only mentions one bolt holding the actuator onto the differential carrier.

Here (attached) is the FSM illustration ...

... and Welcome to CT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4WD-ActuatorRemovIllo.jpg (39.1 KB, 27 views)

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:19 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the reply and the pic. A guy from NH did a great detail write up on rear actuator repair with pics, he was saying that the fsm was a misprint.
Some say actuators have to be locked for removal, tough to do when the actuator isn't working. At this point I'm pretty close to breaking the aluminum casing, I see others have had this problem
#4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Was the actuator 'on' when it died? I'm wondering if it's jammed in a position where the gear engagement is preventing it from coming loose.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM

(Thread Starter)

I don't know how the actuator got stuck, came from a dealer with no history. It could be stuck in gear because the rear ind is noisey but some have said the truck was like that out of the show room.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Can you provide a link to the NH guy writeup you mentioned? Maybe studying that will give me some ideas ...

#7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM

(Thread Starter)

Sorry not allowed to give a link but you can find it a ttora actuator rebuild.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Mambeau / Admin

OK ... Just so everyone else can check it, I believe you're referring to this rebuild writeup in the TTORA FAQ:

http://new.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/...tuator_Rebuild

#9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Mambeau / Admin

For everyone's FYI:

The same writeup (but linked to larger and more informative pics) can be accessed at this website:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/

(Scroll down the homepage - the actuator rebuild writeup is the only 'Toyota' link listed.)

#10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Here is the second (better pics) writeup's illustration for the rear differential lock installation.

The one bolt that the FSM mentions as holding the actuator onto the differential carrier is the one on the lower left (labeled 'Bolt').

The other fasteners shown in the photo (2 bolts, 2 studs with nuts) apparently hold the shield onto the actuator unit.

Nowhere in the FSM documentation (and I've checked back to 1996, when the locker first appeared) is the shield or these extra fasteners ever mentioned. The combined actuator with shield (and one bolt) appears in the exploded components diagrams for the rear differential carrier.

However, the removal / disassembly procedures never mention the shield or the other fasteners, and the only FSM removal graphic (the diagram I posted above) clearly shows the actuator *after* the shield and other fasteners have been removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lock01amp0.jpg (44.0 KB, 48 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode