Hand Throttle - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hand Throttle

So I've done some research and looked around and I'm wondering if anyone here has installed a hand throttle on their Tacoma. I have some friends that all drive Jeep's and swear by it, so I figured I'd give it a try. It's very inexpensive, just a bike shifter and some cable, but I'm wondering if that has been done on a Tacoma before. Anyone know? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Hand Throttle

That doesn't sound like a hard task. I personally have never done it but re-routing your throttle cable to a bike throttle and say, mounting it somewhere easy to access wouldn't be too hard. I would think when you throw a clutch in there things may get a little complicated but still not that bad. Why don't you give it a shot and show us the end result? If you say your buddies have it on their jeeps, I don't see if being much different.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
That doesn't sound like a hard task. I personally have never done it but re-routing your throttle cable to a bike throttle and say, mounting it somewhere easy to access wouldn't be too hard. I would think when you throw a clutch in there things may get a little complicated but still not that bad. Why don't you give it a shot and show us the end result? If you say your buddies have it on their jeeps, I don't see if being much different.
Will do. I'm having difficulty finding the type of bike shifter I need, but if I can come across it this weekend I plan on installing it ASAP. I'll see what I can find, put it in, a do a Tech write-up for it too. Just wanted to see if anyone had done it before.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Tacoholic

It really doesn't seem like a hard task at hand. It would be better to get a good hand throttle though which has a good spring in it so it can spring back (especially for a clutch). To me this seems like a waste of time, and unless your disabled, why bother you know.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:56 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
It really doesn't seem like a hard task at hand. It would be better to get a good hand throttle though which has a good spring in it so it can spring back (especially for a clutch). To me this seems like a waste of time, and unless your disabled, why bother you know.
It's not just meant for someone that is disabled, it's meant to be used when crawling a steep hill in 4Lo and it's a uneven terrain. With that much low end torque you're bound to be bouncing your foot on and off the gas, and you have to keep switching between the brake and gas. With this you can set the rev and just focus on the brake and clutch, it's like adding a third leg.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrmike View Post
It's not just meant for someone that is disabled, it's meant to be used when crawling a steep hill in 4Lo and it's a uneven terrain. With that much low end torque you're bound to be bouncing your foot on and off the gas, and you have to keep switching between the brake and gas. With this you can set the rev and just focus on the brake and clutch, it's like adding a third leg.
I've seen a few guys with older pickups have the hand throttle attached to the shifter. It comes in handy on steep hills like you said. You can buy kits for a Jeep and adapt them to a Toyota. Not hard at all. Or you can get a regular bike brake handle, attach a piece of cable to it, and then hook it up to the normal throttle cable so that both the pedal AND handle work independently.

I'm thinking about one since I have a 85 pickup with a 22R. Carb'd engines and steep hills do not get along.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Tacoholic

You live in San Diego though, where are you going that you need 4x? Most trails and stuff around here I can do in 2wd!
#8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I've seen a few guys with older pickups have the hand throttle attached to the shifter. It comes in handy on steep hills like you said. You can buy kits for a Jeep and adapt them to a Toyota. Not hard at all. Or you can get a regular bike brake handle, attach a piece of cable to it, and then hook it up to the normal throttle cable so that both the pedal AND handle work independently.

I'm thinking about one since I have a 85 pickup with a 22R. Carb'd engines and steep hills do not get along.
Yeah, I ended up going to a local bike shop and picking up the shifter lever that I needed. Apparently the "static shifter" is what it's called, and it hasn't been used in over a decade, so you have to find a bike shop that carries older parts. I picked it up for 50 cents, and got 9 feet of cable and 8 feet of sheating for it, plus all the odds and ends to connect it all together. I'm going to hook it up tonight and see how it does. This way it's independent from the pedal, but will allow me to have a higher rev when stopped up and big hill, running a winch, etc.

The guy I went to had about 20 of these levers in stock, so maybe I can start making these for us.....

Hmm.......
#9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Grand Tacoholic

theres acouple of guys on ttora using a hand throttle system i saw the picture of it u might be able to find it on there
#10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
You live in San Diego though, where are you going that you need 4x? Most trails and stuff around here I can do in 2wd!
Follow me and you will see why you need 4wd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode