How to fix a 01-04 tacoma front bumper. - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to fix a 01-04 tacoma front bumper.

About a few weeks ago I got hit by someone. My front bumper got a few scrapes on the plastic, 2 dings on the chrome, and the whole front bumper was pushed in about 1/2-1inch. Also no gap between the top of the bumper and bottom part of the grill. This sucks cause I only had this truck for only a month and it just had to be hit. So far I've taken it to the dealer and they recommended me to there body shop. The body shop estimated $1044 for a replacement bumper and installation. Or $125 for readjusting the front bumper back to it's proper place. I want to get this bumper fixed and back the way it was. I don't want to pay that much to replace a bumper. So I was just wondering if anyone on this site knows how to take off the bumper? How to readjust the front bumper? Would I have to buy new brackets? I would appriciate anyones opinions and help. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:08 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Re: How to fix a 01-04 tacoma front bumper.

According to the '04 factory manual diagram, you've got two main brackets ("Front Bumper Arms") inboard and two smaller outboard "Side Mounting Brackets" that apparently link the Bumper to places on the outside corners or fender assemblies. If the diagram's to be believed, alignment / adjustment / replacement might boil down to these connectors.

There's also a small piece just called 'Reinforcement' directly behind the Bumper Assembly (a long strip across the center of the nose). Looks to me like this Reinforcement could get crushed in a front-on impact, so you might have to deal with it to get the alignment back to where it was.

The factory manual gives no guidance on procedure to adjust the bumper. My guess (based on past experience with other cars) is that it'd be a matter of monkeying with the Bumper Arms / Side Brackets. If any of these are distorted, you're probably gonna need to replace 'em.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Grand Tacoholic

It is extremely easy to adjust the front bumper, there are 4 bolts on 2 brackets that attach the bumper to the frame. $125 to adjust is a horrible waste of money. If you need to adjust the bumper side to side, there are 4 bolts, 2 on each side that can be slightly loosened and adjusted very easily.

If you want to get a new bumper, because most of the dings can not be fixed. Buy a new bumper and bolt it up. It will take about an hour. Easy stuff...
#4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 09:13 AM
tam
pho sho!

Hey andy,
my front bumpers angled down a bit from when someone backed in to my truck with a towhitch [it left a dent in my valence] and angled it down a bit. It also made the gap larger, could I loosen the bolts and readjust?

tam
#5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Grand Tacoholic

If you got hit by someone, why aren't they payin' for it???
#6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Probation

Unless it was a hit and run. Then your SOL
#7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:52 AM

(Thread Starter)

Yea basically
#8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INACOMA View Post
It is extremely easy to adjust the front bumper, there are 4 bolts on 2 brackets that attach the bumper to the frame. $125 to adjust is a horrible waste of money. If you need to adjust the bumper side to side, there are 4 bolts, 2 on each side that can be slightly loosened and adjusted very easily.
I know this is a long dead thread, but I have the same issue. Do those 4 bolts allow of the bumper to be tilted further down? Or just side to side?

My bumper is pushed up against the bottom of the grille, with no gap in front, but there are larger than normal gaps on the sides of the bumper (when looking at a profile view). I want to know if it's something I can just realign myself, or if I need to replace the bumper...
#9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just try it and see..

I've taken my bumper off about 25 times..

Takes like 5 minutes to take off..

heres what you do, look inside the fenders, unbolt the bolt in there on each side.
then lay under the bumper..unbolt 2 of the side bolts, then unbolt 1 side bolt..leave the bolt in there a tad..then unbolt the other..now hold the bumper and take the bolt out..then crawl out while holding it..and pull it straight out so you don't snap the clips/mounts on the fenders.

Bam your done..

and if your adjusting it, you don't even need to pull it out..let alone take all the bolts out..just loosen all of them (including fender ones)

I modify my truck because I have lil to no friends
#10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Grand Tacoholic

depending on how far off it is you may need to drill out the holes on the brackets a bit to give you a little slop to adjust it, and use some fender washers over the bolt heads before reattaching it

O.G.SpacePimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode