Little transmission whining noise. - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Little transmission whining noise.

Hello all, im new hear but have a question maybe you guys can help me with. I have a question concerning the manual transmission in my 2004 2.7L 4x4 Tacoma (only has 58000 miles on it). Since i bought it i noticed that when i first start it up cold and the engine is running at fast idle with the transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged that i hear a slight whining noise, but if i disengage the clutch the noise goes away. Its not that noticeable and i dident notice it when i took the truck for a test drive before i bought it, but i can hear it, beings that i drive it every day. Its not a squealing, rumbling, chattering or anything loud that would raise a red flag immediately but because i drive it every day i notice it. To me it sounds like simply the gears just spinning, which technically they are when the tranny is in neutral with the clutch engaged. As the truck warms up and the idle drops out of cold start mode its hardly noticeable but i can still just barely hear it. The transmission shift great with no slips or rough engagement and its quiet when driving. It just it has a little whining noise at idle with the clutch peddle out.

Is this a normal occurrence with having a manual transmission?

Does anybody else experience the same thing?

Also, i will be changing my transmission fluid soon and was thinking about going to a synthetic blend, is it worth it or just a waist of money? Suggestions on tranny oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: Little transmission whining noise.

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Some amount of transmission whine is 'par for the course'. Without actually hearing the noise it's hard to tell if it might represent a problem.

(3) Does the whine seem to definitely come from the transmission (i.e., from the central 'hump')?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Some amount of transmission whine is 'par for the course'. Without actually hearing the noise it's hard to tell if it might represent a problem.

(3) Does the whine seem to definitely come from the transmission (i.e., from the central 'hump')?

The noise im describing sounds like a school bus transmission whine, but defiantly not nearly as loud. I know the noise is coming from the transmission but as far as if it coming from the clutch area or the gear area, im not sure. All i no is that it only happens when i engage the clutch with the tranny in neutral.

Thanks for the quick reply!!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Grand Tacoholic

I would just recommend changing the fluids in the transmission and case. Synthetic or not. Synthetic has better wear properties, so yes, it is worth the little bit extra cost. Like Enola said, a little noise is normal, too loud and you should just start with the fluid. If it gets low, the noise will increase slightly as well.

Diverse-Customs.com
#5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Mambeau / Admin

I'd suggest going ahead and changing out the transmission lubricant. If you do it yourself, make a point to check the old oil for unusual amounts of debris (metal shavings, etc.).

Odds are a fresh load of oil will reduce the whine. If it doesn't, and it still seems to be out of the ordinary, let us know.

Just so we're clear ... The whine is most noticeable when the tranny's in neutral and the clutch pedal is all the way 'out' (not depressed at all) - right?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 PM

(Thread Starter)

Ok, nice to know that some noise is normal. I kinda figured that a manual transmission is going to operate a little louder then an automatic, because of all those gears spinning at idle, as oppose to an automatic when all you have is the torque converter spinning in fluid. I planned on changing my transmission fluid tomorrow after work. Does anybody know how many quarts it takes to fill it back up? The manual say 2.7q but iv had an occasion were it told me the wrong amount.

So more then likely all im hearing are the gears spinning?
#7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post

Just so we're clear ... The whine is most noticeable when the tranny's in neutral and the clutch pedal is all the way 'out' (not depressed at all) - right?
Correct, with engine idling, transmission in neutral and the clutch all the way out (not depressed) is when i hear it.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Mambeau / Admin

According to both the 2004 FSM and the Owners Manual, the 'spec' oil capacity for a 3RZ 4X4 with the W59 manual tranny is 2.6 US quarts (or 2.5 liters).

#9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM

(Thread Starter)

I changed my transmission oil today with Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil and i can still hear the noise. The old fluid looked fine, but did need to be changed. There were no large shavings or anything abnormal. So i guess its something that is normal, because there is absolutely nothing wrong as far as shifting and driveability goes. So im assuming its normal. Any other opinions are welcome.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM

(Thread Starter)

First off i want to really thank you guys for all the answers you gave to my questions, they really do help. Sorry if i sound like im beating a dead horse or if it seams that im trying to find problems, but the truck does have a 7500 mile warranty so if there are any problems, then this is the time to take care of them, if you know what i mean. So i probably will have alot more questions to ask you guys for for the next few weeks, Thanks again!!

So on that note, I dident take the truck out for a test drive yesterday after changing the fluid, i only started it and ran it in neutral to see if the noise went away. But i did drive the truck to work today and if i pay attention to the sound, it does whine in first and second gear and a little in third as im accelerating from a stop. To better put the noise it sound like im in 4Lo (low gear ratio sound). Another thing is, say im driving in 1st or 2nd gear, if i let up off the throttle (with the clutch still engaged) and start coasting the whine almost goes away, as soon as i push the throttle in to accelerate the whine comes back. Also to, when im in neutral and the engine is idling with the clutch engaged (peddle released) the whine does increase with engine speed. Like i said the noise is not that noticeable but because i drive it everyday i notice it.

Another thing i want to ask is what is the best way to check the condition or wear life on the clutch? Is there an inspection plate that can be removed? Iv read online one way to inspect the clutch, like applying the parking brake and putting the shifter in 3rd and SLOWLY letting off the clutch till the engine stalls. The instructions said if the engine stalls immediately the clutch is ok, if it dosent stall or stalls slowly the clutch is wore out, mine stalled immediately. Thats about the only one iv seen.

One test that i did try today was i parked on an incline, applied the parking brake, turned the engine off, put the tranny in 1st or revers, release the clutch and slowly release the parking brake to see if the truck starts to drift. Iv got a pretty steep driveway (20-25% incline) so it was the perfect place. The clutch did hold and actually started (very very slowly) rotating the engine in first and revers gear! So i know the clutch is holding strong, but i dident think the engine would start to move, but then i thought, that is a lot of weight to be holding back on a hill. I wanted to try this to not only test the clutch grip but to also see if the truck would stay stationary in the event that i couldn't use the parking brake because of ice or snow (i found out the hard way that parking brakes can freeze up, but thankfully my old truck was an automatic so i dident have to rely on the brake ). The clutch grip passes, but i guess ill have to find somewhere else to park in the event of ice or snow.

All that aside, i concluded that my clutch is holding strong, but i still dont know how to check to see how much clutch material i have left.

Any thoughts on how to check the clutch wear and how to park on a steep incline in the event that you cant use the parking brake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode