Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

2003 Tacoma LSx, suspension, etc build

21K views 14 replies 1 participant last post by  rich- 
#1 ·
So, I have always wanted to do a build thread, and I am finally going to attempt it. I have "built" many cars in the past, but have always wanted a Tacoma and finally bought one about 2yrs ago.

I will try to keep this as organized as possible but I have a lot going on at once with the truck so here goes!

This is the truck right before I started tearing it apart about a month ago. Truck is lowered with belltech springs, streetacos BJ flip, DJM upper control arms, leaf removed in the rear, and crappy 3" aluminum blocks.

First up, I sold the stock engine and trans. So I had an empty bay..

After some scrubbing....

ABS Removal- this was necessary because it was too much of a hassle to keep it with the swap.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
After realizing how little of the factory harness I would really need with the new engine setup, I ripped out the chassis harness to remove anything that wasn't needed. I used a bussman fuse panel with integrated relays to simplify things.

Mostly trash-

Progress? Yes, the harness IS in there, it is just tiny now and wrapped in cloth tape to avoid any more rattles (which I hated about my dash) only thing missing is the climate control stuff which I made into a separate sub harness so it is easier to integrate into the new engine harness.

While waiting on some parts, my new front brakes showed up-

So after ordering and receiving the stainless lines and fittings for the front, I installed them. Note: I am waiting on my rear disc conversion from Tre5Customs.

Stock vs new disc-

Yay! an Engine! I picked up an LQ9 from a totaled 04 Escalade, yeah, it turned out to be junk -____- The oil pan was filled with about 2" of sludge. This is why I hate trusting peoples word online sometimes.

So I tore it down with the idea of rebuilding it. Note how disgusting the back of the timing cover is.....

Crank journals were amazingly clean, but everything had a film of nasty oil on it that had to be scraped off.

That engine was sold last weekend for a big loss, but whatever. I just purchased a L33 5.3L from an 06 Silverado with 61k and a 2yr warranty!

#3 · (Edited)
Last update for now.

I just received a ton of stuff over the last few days. Finally took the bed off in preparation for Streetacos bolt in 4 link with QA1 coilovers front and rear.

Ordered but not received yet-
06 L33 Engine
Hurst Driveline Conversion T56 Magnum Elite Kit
rear disc conversion
bunch of random crap for my fuel setup
LS6 intake manifold

Random pictures-

Tons of engine parts-

If you have any questions or comments feel free to PM me.

#4 ·
Small update:
Fuel lines and fittings came in. I am running dual 320LPH pumps with -8AN PTFE feed and -6AN return. Fuel rails are -8 in and -6 out to an Aeromotive FPR. I am welding bungs to the stock sending unit and that hose clamp is just temporary. I am machining an aluminum clamp at work that will bolt through the stock arm.

I also received my dirty dingo water pump spacers and idler pulley relocation bracket because I am using an LS6 intake manifold.

Lastly, my power steering hose and adapters came in.

Other than that, not much progress until the weekend maybe.

Pictures are in no particular order.

(battery box, going in the bed)

oil filter relocation crap

fuel filters

#5 ·
Small update- Welded up my fuel sending unit. It came out great and tested to 100psi just fine before blowing the cap off the feed tube. Pretty sure that is good to go.
Special thanks to my good friend for welding this for me! I would have done it, but I am not confident enough to weld ferrous metals. I weld aluminum frames all day long and rarely weld steel, or anything in DC.

Enough rambling, on to the pictures! The other stuff are things around the shop. (both of us previously worked here)

(3.4L stroker RB26, rb30 block, rb26 heads)

#7 ·
Another small update- Fans came in. These are the slimmest fans that flow crazy CFM I could find. They are rated at 4000CFM, plenty to cool the engine quickly and keep the a/c cool in traffic. I am controlling them with a Derale PWM fan controller. Also pictured, ARP flywheel bolts.

#9 ·
So yesterday/today I did quite a bit of work on the engine. Such as, installed cam, hardened pushrods, rocker arms, valve springs, titanium retainers, dirty dingo idler relocation, dirty dingo water pump spacers, f body water pump, and a few other odds and ends.

Ended up ordering a new rear cover just for peace of mind. Still debating what I want to do about the valve covers. I REALLY hate the coil packs being right in my face, but there is the issue of having 2" primary tubes on the headers so I don't know if I can safely mount them on the side of the block.

Quick pic, I have more just not on me at the moment.

And this is off topic, but I have been working on the Legacy too. Just had it detailed and it came out amazing. Also purchased a rotated setup with a Borg Warner S366. I may post some more pictures as it comes along but I don't want to clog up this thread.

#13 ·
Finally time for an update!

The truck is now being worked on way more and should be done somewhat soon. The transmission fits on the stock crossmember and only required a small amount of metal removed from the stock shifter hole. The engine mounts fit as planned which was nice too.

This thing sits seriously low. Several inches lower than the 2rz. The main issue that has come up now is that the radiator setup I purchased and fans are 7.5" thick, so fitting a condensor is going to be pretty hard, but it will be done.

Pictures in no particular order.

#14 ·
So, I got the truck back, had to change a lot of things, and straighten the engine, etc. Total nightmare, but I guess having it back in my hands and another buddy has changed the path of the truck a lot.

Suspensions in the rear is completely different now, and I will update when I have some more recent pictures. Here are some of the engine.

*added note, the radiator is just there for our reference on intercooler fitment. I am running the radiator in the bed now and will post some more pictures later.

#15 ·
Hopefully I can remember to update this soon, but it is getting really close.

Suspension is all located and ready for me to finish welding it. Radiator is at home in the bed with ducting from under the truck. Bed is notched, fuel lines are in, fuel cell has been fabricated just waiting for me to finish welding that too. I should hopefully have it up and running in the next month!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.