Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Autocrossin' Tacos!!! Vids and pics!!!

19K views 75 replies 13 participants last post by  SicKnd 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody here do autocross? I am really getting in to it and wanna go all out. I know i saw a pic or two of Chris D's truck at an event.

the only bad thing is im in a class that i cant really compete in due to so many modifications...but it is what it is...i really enjoy racing, and more or less just race myself for faster times every lap...of course i get happy when i run faster than cars that i shouldn't, but in the end its just about getting out and having fun...honestly...

each lap got better and better as it should have...you shouldnt expect anything less but learning more and more after every turn/lap...hands down the best experience i have had on a track next to actually taking a car around the Nurburgring...which i've done that too...but not in my truck, lol...

First Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5q-UdnzJXg&feature=youtu.be

Second Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEoBoiKf5CA&feature=youtu.be

Third Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqk4cmRWBIQ&feature=youtu.be

Fourth Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnn4cSRFX-4&feature=youtu.be

Fifth Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-roqz-U20U&feature=youtu.be

Sixth Lap

going purely off the raw time, each lap was faster and faster...but since one of the laps at the end i took out a few cones...even though they were after the finish line, unfortunately they still add time to your score...o well, like i said...it was a blast, and hopefully i get to go again next month...as long as the event isnt towards the end of the month when im supposed to be going TDY...:eyecrazy:

See less See more
1 1
Reactions: tacoflavoredkisses
#3 · (Edited)
honestly i couldnt even tell you without going outside to look at them...they were on the truck when i bought it...and i dont change tires when i go to the track...

Surprisingly ive been pulled over in Texas once in it, and im pretty sure he just heard my 3 inch turbo back exhaust and it pissed him off...stupid fvcking Tomball, TX police...only got a ticket for no license because i live in georgia now, stationed here, and hadn't renewed my license yet, since i hadnt been back...went and renewed it and they threw out the ticket... o and never here in Georgia...ive been pulled over in my camry once and in my 86 4runner once...but never in the taco...kinda funny honestly

#11 ·
Street Mod...Novice of course...lol...

like i said, i know i couldn't win in that class, there is a fully built, fiberglass body mustang in my class with tires on all corners wider than my whole truck, haha...ran a whole 7 seconds faster than i did on my fastest lap...there's no way i could make up 7 seconds in one lap...lol

#14 · (Edited)
honestly, i am not watchin the tach when driving...on that event into the first turn, i slam it into second and stay there the entire time...but i also have a W58 with a second gear that will take me to 60 mph...so i didnt need to get out of second the whole time.

And i have not noticed the steering being any different while turning...there is only one thing that has changed since trying out all this racing stuff. When smokin the tires before a drag race, i cant keep the truck still during the burn out...pressurizing the brake booster with positive pressure basically makes the brakes not work at all...i gotta get a check valve for that...

#16 ·
man i am so jealous of that four link.
i am actually thinking about replacing the rear shocks with coil overs to help in the cornering since i already have a shock bridge that tilts the shocks inward.

you got a pic of your brake booster check valve? maybe a part number?

#20 ·
I believe its a grommet mounted check valve..
on the booster there is a goldish grommet with a vac line coming out of it to the intake.
I believe the check valve is in the booster and just pops into the booster.

I'm not 100% on this, but it looks like it..

Can't find a tear down schematic for it.. Enola? :thinking:

Attachments

#22 ·
:thinking:
i think im gunna try just a regular check valve...hell a PCV valve would work even, lol...if i remember ill get one before the drag strip next month and see if it solves my problem.

#28 ·
Honestly after doing my 8.8 swap i never got the rear suspension dialed in again. its just way too soft for any kind of hard cornering with the 4x4 leafs i used to drop it, in fact the first vid i posted is with the 8.8, and you can hear my muffler hitting my diff in corners lol. made for fun slides though :D

The second vid is when my truck was set up the best minus the one wheel wonder from the stock toyota diff lol.

#31 ·
My 4x4 leaves are great, much better than the 2wd leaves. I've been running auto cross in my tacoma every chance I get. I've ran a handful of times In Tallahassee and a few times at home at Sebring..I really need to join the scca in Tallahassee. I've been doing a lot more drifting than autoxing lately though :headbang:

#35 · (Edited)
From my build thread, crappy cell phone video. I shifted into second early, for whatever dumb reason lol
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm121/MatosTaco/TacomaLaunch.mp4

I found that my taco was just as fast as my Miata, time wise. It was also way more fun to autocross, with the superior grip, power, and torque. I really like the Dunlop Sportmaxx TT tires that are currently mounted on it. Even with an SR sway bar, I was not tail happy. If I could reduce the steering radius, it would easily destroy the Miata and quite a few S2000s. I noticed what Chris D did, the power steering would cut out in one of the hard corners and I basically ended up manhandling it. This was apparently the first time someone brought out a truck with our club, so it got lots of positive attention.

#41 ·
whats crazy is i rode in that EVO...400+hp...i could barely breath the whole ride...i think it was just a lil much for the guy to handle though...lol

after one of my runs he meets me at the finish line and is like "hey man your doing awesome, you wanna ride in my car?"...and of course i said yeah...was pretty bad@ss

#37 ·
I guess I need to find a 2wd overload somewhere. I wonder if the 95-97 4x4 springs are softer than the 98+ ones that a lot of people use. Matos have you done the leaf mod yet? Anyways chris I posted a blurb on the power steering issue on page 3. And matos I doubt you will find a quicker rack but you may be able to get a steering quickener. They are commonly used in circle track and are fairly cheap. They need to be welded correctly though or you could easily get yourself killed.

#55 ·
I guess I need to find a 2wd overload somewhere. I wonder if the 95-97 4x4 springs are softer than the 98+ ones that a lot of people use. Matos have you done the leaf mod yet? Anyways chris I posted a blurb on the power steering issue on page 3. And matos I doubt you will find a quicker rack but you may be able to get a steering quickener. They are commonly used in circle track and are fairly cheap. They need to be welded correctly though or you could easily get yourself killed.
I haven't done the leaf mod. I'm waiting to save up some cash and buy the 4 link Beefy makes.

whats crazy is i rode in that EVO...400+hp...i could barely breath the whole ride...i think it was just a lil much for the guy to handle though...lol

after one of my runs he meets me at the finish line and is like "hey man your doing awesome, you wanna ride in my car?"...and of course i said yeah...was pretty bad@ss
Sounds awesome man. I test drove an Evo X at the dealership and it was a blast. I couldn't get that thing off my mind for a whole week, even dreamed about it lol!

#42 ·
I've never changed mine either haha but when I would complain about it the guys that had been running autox for years explained that it should be changed very often when you are putting it through that much work. A power steering cooler could help as well. I stick with atf but I'm interested if you filled it with the bmw/audi synthetic sjit if it would work better

#40 ·
man chris, it seems like your truck is WAY TOO long for that course, lol. I wish i woulda had someone to film outside the track, so i could get a better visual of what the truck was doin. Your course seemed SUPER tight...i bet that sucked with the rear diff not slipping at all, lol

Thanks MatosTaco!!! It seemed like the taco was the talk of the town while i was there, and also after i left...a friend of mine said there was someone in a colorado that was excited to learn that he might have some competition now...but then he learned that i was turbo'd...lol...but even still i havent gone back yet...im planning on going this month as long as my TDY doesnt leave out before the event...i wish the dixie region scca would get there schedule together...they still havent posted the event for this month yet out at the location.

#44 ·
...i wish the dixie region scca would get there schedule together...they still havent posted the event for this month yet out at the location.
stidham, you're part of the dixie region scca? That's the one i'm thinking about joining here in tallahassee!

#49 ·
haha, yeah...the extra room would be nice...but nothing beats the short wheelbase...turns on a dime...out handles A LOT of other cars...well once you get it out of the sky anyways...lol

#50 ·
honestly i feel like my xtra cab outhandles my buddy's standard cab everytime, my suspension is pretty factory, just all brand new with 4x4 leaves and v6 coils and of course new stiff shocks.

#51 ·
well my suspension is far from factory...so i have that going for me at least, which is nice...

mine handles damn near like a gokart to be honest...other than the high speed understeer, which is evident in my autocrossing videos, lol

#52 ·
long wheel bases suck in autox, except when you break it loose, and you have 3.5 years before the rear end of our school buses starts to come around, to recover and power through it :D

I dont ever have an issue with understeer with the extended cab, I actually pulled up the corner weights of the extended cab and its a 51/49 weight distribution. Even with the little weight we have its so far back there that it really offsets the front weight, so in some aspects I really do think the xtra cabs handle better, especially when not confined to a tight autox track.

#53 ·
Also stidham, I was watching your vid and I think your times would really benefit by practicing your hand placement on corner entry. your hands should always be at roughly the 9 and 3 position on the wheel when hard in a corner. You can accomplish this by sliding your hands to an offset position prior to entering the corner. It takes a little bit of practice to figure out where to put your hands to get them in the 9-3 position once in the corner, but you will have much more control of the vehicle in the corner and your turn in/out will be much smoother. This will help minimize your understeer. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.