Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Results after upper and lower B/J relocation

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  dalton<3yotas 
#1 ·
So after reading countless forums here I finally got around to getting the upper and lower ball joints relocated. Its on my 99 2.4L extended cab. I use it for work everyday and carry a load.

On the front i'm running 235/45r17s

First i bought a fender reforming tool from amazon for $80. I rolled the front fenders because I cant afford the 4x4 ones that have extra clearance. The wheel well plastic separated from the fender so I cut most of it off. It barely rains here in so cal anyways.

I bought all the bolts, nuts and washers from KingBoltco for $50

I took the truck to my mechanic and friends at Hye Tech Auto in Covina and they got it done in about 4hrs with a full lift and air tools. Also took care to have them remove all the shims as you said. So for all the people that did this yourself you're amazing. Two techs were working on it the whole time and were cursing.

After they finished when they set it on the ground i was speechless it looked so good. However the truck was extremely toed out. They could only fix the toe so much because the outer tie rods eventually run out of threads.

See attached pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
How is it possible that you are out of toe adjustment? I can still use my factory tie rods so you should definitely have threads left. I only switched to heims tie rod ends so i can run more camber if i want to.

#5 ·
The tech used a tool to keep the steering wheel centered then had me walk under the lift with him. He showed me how to adjust the toe. He loosened the one nut on each tie rod that allowed it to be adjusted and started twisting it. He undid it until only 2 threads remained and told me that was the most he would go or it could break. The driver side is now slightly still toed out while the passenger side is completely straight. The steering wheel used to be crooked to the left and now its to the right.

The only thing I can think of is that i bought new outer tie rod ends and its possible they may have been a little shorter??

They referred me to an alignment shop they say can get it perfect by doing something with the rack but for now it doesn't even pull and the steer is the same but i did notice the ride is much softer after the flip.

#6 ·
I wouldn't be comfortable with someone altering my rack to correct for toe when you have (no offense or anything) hardly even lowered the truck. If you've replaced the inner/ outer tie rods its possible they were manufactured differently and have less adjustment. The last ones i bought were actually almost an inch longer than my factory inner tie rods, and the outers were around 1.5" longer. I'm not sure if the inners had more adjustability or just had extra material. Either way there's no way you should be out of tie rod adjustment after just a bj flip. My toe is exactly at 0* with -6.5* of camber and 11" of drop in the front, with my heim tie rod ends or oe replacements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.