Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

2004 2wd OE shocks to Gabriel "Ultra" Shocks

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  2k4 Tacoma 
#1 · (Edited)
:waytogo:

I knew it was time to replace my shocks and just wanted replacements at this point.

Ironically Gabriel Shocks were offering a promo "Buy 3, Get 1 free" deal. For my Tacoma, my options are [or were] "ProGuard", "Ultra" & "Max-Control".

So I tried searching "here" for comments & experiences on just replacements [any brand] @ stock height [2wd] but I found "nothing". So here's what I did.

......................................................................................................................................

Initially I wanted to go with the "Max-Control" but thru online searches, I found the front shocks won't fit thru the lower control arm opening. The shock body is too large. because of that it wasn't worth the "risk". So I went with their "Ultra" line instead.

"Going retail" on Ultra's, with the promo, would have been $200! Forget that.... I looked @ amazon which was a lot cheaper & free shipping helps.
Then of course there's eBay:
$20 each for the rear [$40]
$24 each for the front [$48]
Free shipping too....
Sold! $88 for a complete set!

Gabriel Shocks [Ultra] Part# reference for 2wd:
Front# G63937
Rear# G63689

But you are going to need a set of shock boots for the fronts only. I had some left over from when I had my Ford Ranger....

Tip: I couldn't get the nut loose on the OE shock so I just took my "Dremel-Tool" and cut off a portion of the rusty nut.

"Old" with "New".....

Now installed....

................................................................................................................................

Rear:
Was much "easier" to install & here's my original with the "new" shock...

Enjoy!

....................................................................................................................................................................................................

After two months, I'm extremely happy with the Gabriel Shocks!
Next Subject- Brake rotor & pad replacement....

:waytogo:

See less See more
#5 ·
Really depends on the road conditions you put your Tacoma thru...

For me, I get all "four-seasons" including sand/rock from crumbling roads that my larger tires are kicking up & from vehicles in front of me.
I believe it will provide protection to the exposed shaft that could damage the seal & "blow out" the shock.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah,

It had the "recall" preventive spray undercoating done about 2 or 3 years ago.
My neighbor [previous owner] never washed underneath except when he took to a $8 automatic washer.
So when I "power-washed" the truck "top-to-bottom", the undercoating basically flaked-off ["washed away"] exposing all this rust.
So NOW I'm trying to deal with Toyota Corp on completing the necessary frame-replacement recall because this is not "normal" & excessive for a 50K mile truck.....

#6 ·
UPDATE:

You wanna talk about "bad" roads.....

I somehow "busted-off" the nut/washer on BOTH front upper shock shaft threads!

The local roads literally started pushing up due to snow/salt/water & cold temps, as if every second I'm going over "speed-bumps" w/o slowing down.... or felt like speeding down a dirt/gravel road.... but on PAVED roads...

Especially on main roads where the speed limit range from 45mph to 55mph....

I got one street/road that's so bad- I have to drive down it literally in the middle! And if someone is coming in the other direction, I have to slow down to below 30mph or stop to avoid the mess in my own lane!

......................................................................................................

Thankfully I got this resolved-
I got new replacement-replacement shocks. PLUS, I made sure I used quality grade-8 nuts & I put two nuts [one on top of the other] plus an additional washer... Hope it never happens again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.