Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Suspension/rims/tires 101...Help!

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ZIP 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website and I think it's great! I can't read enough of the information here. Anyway, I am looking for some advice/help. I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 double cab that I bought brand new off the lot. It is completely stock. Lately I have contemplated trading it in, but I just can't part with it (it was my first new car). I have now decided have some fun with it. I want to add a beefier suspension and maybe lift it (but not too much - 2-3 inches) and add some bigger rims and tires. I want to avoid a pricey makeover, but at the same time try to maintain the safety and reliability of the truck as my teenage son will be driving it as well. I have never done a project like this so I don't even know where to start. I appreciate your input! Thanks!

#3 ·
I have a 2000 Pre-Runner I bought brand new, and I am wanting to do some stuff to mine too. It was my only vehicle for 14 years, and I can't bear to part with it, so I know how you feel. It got me through some hard times, when I was forced to neglect some maintenance due to financial problems, so now I am catching up, and it needs new shocks-anybody got any suggestions on what are the best shocks to put on it, front and back?

#5 · (Edited)
Struts on front. Check a discount parts store. They let you use a spring compressor. Check U Tube video on how to. You could do fronts for $120 rear shocks come online for @ $60 for 2. Get Chiltons manual for $20. Do it yourself save big money. Anybody can do the struts just be patient. Welcome to Custom Tacos !!! Edit check Hellbent Steel for spacers that go above the whole strut assembly @ $70 raises 21/2 to 3 in.

#6 ·
I have mine after being purchased back in 03 as new. Its a Double Cab as well with V6. Approaching 250K and no major issues whats so ever. Just maintenance and she is happy. No need for a new vehicle payment if she is running...what a great feeling.

I have put on adjustable Icon coilovers (0-3'') with new upper control arms to enable proper alignment after install. Coilovers because of quality and longevity all while being rebuildable.

I am going Icon in the rear very soon with new leafs. Save and buy quality parts that will last you. Less time toying, more time for enjoying.

#8 · (Edited)
My $ .02
There are many ways to lift your truck..and many ways to get it wrong:frown
I bought a '00 Pre-Runner that had big tires, body lift, and adjustable front coil-overs... It rode harsh and I hated it. I pulled out the body lift and dropped it down on smaller tires but even with the adjustable coilovers screwed down to the lowest setting it stills rides like crap coz the springs are just too stiff.

I lifted my 98 4Runner Mall Crawler which will probably never see any real off-road use (same front suspension as Tacoma) using the urethane Pro-Comp spacer kit and it easily clears the 285-65-18s

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/exp-plt09103/applications/model/tacoma/submodel/pre-runner

There were some postings of using stock Tundra shocks and coils to get about 1 1/2 - 2 additional lift.
My twist on this was I used longer Pro-Comp shocks (intended for a Tundra) but utilized my stock 4Runner springs along with the above kit. Because of the overall length, it takes a lot of prying to get it installed, but with patience and perseverance it can be done. I must say it drives as smooth as stock, if not better and no unwanted suspension noise!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.