Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Who's runnin the Speed Freek BBK!?!? POST PICS!!!!

10K views 61 replies 20 participants last post by  drmatera 
#1 ·
I've got everything I need to install it all, I'm going to do a mockup fit before sending the brackets off for powder-coating.
I'm also going to pop my Thomas Dominguez Catfish drop spindles in there as well.

Lets see some pictures of your Speed Freek BBK's!!!

#4 ·
There really isn't much to say for doing a write up, it's all pretty self explanatory unless you have no clue what your doing.
And in that case, I wouldn't attempt it for safety reasons.

I'll take some pics as I go........:waytogo:

I should get my torque wrench back from the snap-on guy sometime tomorrow.. :eek:

#7 ·
I just got the brackets/adapters back from powder coating..

It's about -3 outside right now, so these aren't any sort of priority for install.. ;)

I have a little info for progress/process of install.
This is a real simple process and lets say someone that has somewhat of an idea of what their doing, this should only take you a couple of beer method hours to do it..

Stock diameter (left) vs the Wilwood 12.19" rotor (right)

Yummy :loveeyes:

I did a trial run and bolted everything together.
You will have to do a little minor trimming of your brake dust shield to clear the caliper adapter.

This is a great opportunity to trim it, clean it all up, shoot a few coats of fresh paint and your ready to roll.. :waytogo:

I had to clearance the bracket a little so the brake pads wouldn't contact the bracket and sit all the way down to get the cotter pin in place. This is a 5 minute procedure, no sweat..

With these brakes, the pads simply slide down into the caliper from the top, then you secure it with a cotter pin and it's just that simple. :)

brake pad contacting the caliper bracket

The holes in the top of the brake pad wouldn't line up with the holes in the calipers..

So I grinded down the bracket till it cleared so I didn't have to mod brake pads or have any contact.
Easy money.. :)

Success!

Here it is after it's been grinded down..

I smoothed them out and polished them up a little.
Modified (in the back), unmodified (in front) Mullet? :lol:

You can see just how little I had to remove.

I just picked up the brackets/adapters today..
It's a dead on match, the caliper is just dusty :waytogo:

This is all for now.. :D

#10 ·
He's a member on this forum, getting in touch is as easy as sending a pm. However, I don't think he is making anymore of these, the low interest and manufacturing cost made it difficult for him to make a profit.

#14 ·
I thought that he said he wouldn't produce these anymore as well ... but in a later post i believe he said he could do 3 sets at a time as long as they were pre-paid for. but like the other guys have already said, i doesn't hurt to ask.

#17 ·
Jason,

You made your kit obtainable for the average Joe because they didn't have to drop a G all in one shot.

I bought your bracket adapters, then took my time sourcing the rotors, calipers and pads..

I really do appreciate it!

Thanks!

#20 ·
First off, thanks Chris, much appreciated, did my best to make it affordable and also high quality.

And to the interested parties I will see what i can do and get another larger run of these kits (with the proper radius on the brackets!)

Ill keep ya posted on the situation.

#22 ·
I am certainly interested as well, now that I just filed my taxes today and worked 120 hours on this paycheck coming up im ready to make my front brakes match the rears. Please put me on your "let-people-know-these-brakes-are-available" list when they are :)

#23 ·
When it gets upwards of a consistent 40 degrees + :waytogo:

I am certainly interested as well, now that I just filed my taxes today and worked 120 hours on this paycheck coming up im ready to make my front brakes match the rears. Please put me on your "let-people-know-these-brakes-are-available" list when they are :)
Exploder 8.8 setup out back?

#26 ·
Hey guys, I have a BBK on my S. Not the one from Speed Freak. I did a pretty comprehensive write up with pictures that may help you. The file was big and I think Enola compressed it and was trying to get it as a sticky but, I don't think that ever happened for one reason or another. So, if anyone wants my write up, shoot me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll get it to you asap. You should be able to get an idea of what you need to do with my write up.

#27 ·
There really isn't much to it..

If you've unbolted the stock stuff,.you just bolt on the adaptors, rotors and calipers.. Pop on your new ss brake lines, bleed and your done..

All that really matters are your torque specs and what gets loctite..

I'm doing mine along with my catfish drop spindles.. :)

#40 ·
I have a kit & it is stile in the box screaming at me whenever I walk by it - Just too much work & other projects that have priority – “Nice pics.”
I'm very happy to have too much work by the way.
The kit looks very well thought out but I haven't even tried a trial fit yet.
“Thanks Speed Freek “
When I install it, I'll post pics not as nice as the ones posted. My kit will be hard face anodized mill spec - Black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.