Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

98 Taco odd blinker issue......

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  purplepoison 
#1 ·
I have a 98 Taco standard cab short bed 4x4 4cyl manual, and lately I have had a right turn signal issue. Some times it works and other times it does a rapid flash and other times it does nothing. I found out this morning that when it does the rapid flash none out the actual blinkers are actually blinking, along with the inside indicator. I assume that the times that it does nothing it is also doing nothing out side. This is completely random and sometimes corrects itself mid turn.....all the bulbs and fuses are good so I don't know what could be causing this...??? The left turn signal is fine and works just fine it's only the right one.

Nick

#3 ·
... I found out this morning that when it does the rapid flash none out the actual blinkers are actually blinking, along with the inside indicator. I assume that the times that it does nothing it is also doing nothing out side. ...
I can't parse the first sentence, Nick ... :shrug:

Do you mean that under the rapid flash condition (at the cluster indicator end), none of the external signal lamps are working at all?

Here (attached) is the 1998 turn signal wiring diagram. As you can see, it's a convoluted wiring scheme that has the turn signals and hazard lights tied together.

There might be any number of electrical glitches that could explain these symptoms. That's the problem.

However, I'd start with the combination switch (turn signal switch on the column). A bad electrical connection for the RH signal circuit would explain everything. It might be that the combo switch is bad, or that the wiring leading down the column has been kinked (or whatever ...) causing a transient short or broken connection.

Attachments

#4 ·
If i understood correvtly i had a similar problem with my ucles 2rz it ended up being the flasher had gone bad

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
WOW! Sorry didn't realize I had typed that so badly!!!

Yes when it does the "rapid flash" (as if a bulb is out) the inside indicator (in the instrument cluster) and both the front and rear blinkers (on the outside of the truck) do nothing but the you can hear the "flasher" clicking rapidly.

I went thru and checked all the bulbs to make sure they were fine and actually just swapped them out with new ones just in-case, but still nothing. I did notice today that while I was driving if I barely move the turn signal switch (what I assume your referring to as the "combination switch") the blinker seemed to work normal but if I went all the way up it either rapid blinked (the flasher) or did nothing so I'm now thinking it might be the actual switch....

Nick

#6 ·
Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand the cluster indicator wasn't working either.

It could still be a bad flasher unit, but the fact that switch position affects the behavior seems to point to the combination switch on the column. :thinking:

#7 ·
Id try swapping the flasher $5 piece as opposed to the switch im not sure the price but pretty sure its a lot more then 5bucks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.