Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

DriveShaft/Carrier Bearing Help!!!!

27K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  ToyotaDrifter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2002 Toyota Tacoma v6 2wd Rear Locker 4.30 gears AUTO.

So few weeks ago I replaced my Center Carrier Bearing before I went to pismo. Bought it from NAPA for 120 I think. Came back from pismo everything was fine (No Clunk). Then just this week I have a bad Clunk when Backing up in Reverse Then Going into Drive or visa versa. A Loud Bang Sound happens when I go from D to R or R to D. So I went to grease everything on my drive line.

I Greased Up this thing till grease came out.

Grease Came Out From Here. The brown mark is where it was before. It MOVED. DID I PUT TO MUCH?

Then I looked at the Cener Carrier Bearing. It came off the rubber Housing.

Side Picture.
Looks like its been hitting. Center Bearing was lose before Greasing.

I just started to look at my Tranny Mount.

Did i put to much grease in that rear zerk? Because its causing the Bearing to come out.. Prior To greasing the Center Carrier bearing was lose when pushing up on the drive shaft. Now the drive shaft is Tight, Leaf springs are Positive Arch (before was Neg). I assume i need to get a new CB and Tran mount but i want to know if i put to much grease in or is this how it should be. __________________

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Jack the truck and see if theres anything wrong in the rear diff. Too much grease will deffinately cause some troubles, I know that how you're supposed to get a lot of pilot bearings out, just fill it with grease until it pops out.

Edit: is there a snap ring or something to hold the center support bearing? I know they are pressed on but I thought something else holds them on too.

#4 ·
Re: DriveShaft/Center Carrier Bearing Help!

The tranny mount is worn, but almost all of the ones I have seen look just like yours, when you greased you slip shaft you hydraulically moved it forward.

I would try and get another bearing on warranty, but the shaft will move back once you drive it a little and it displaces the grease.

You could just try driving it a little and see if everything goes back where it came from..before you start throwing money at it...

#6 ·
Well guys went to toyota and bought a $200 dollar carrier bearing... :cry: Put it in and everythings back to normal. But now I have a issue that still remains. When shifting to Revers to Drive or other way around. Or even From Park To Reverse I makes a loud "Ping" And the truck feels as though I have been rear ended HARD. Can a warn transmission mount cause this. 60k on the truck truck is salvaged from me T boning someone. It doesn't sound like axle wrap feels like something in the shifter. I check the transmission mount and it moves a lot compared to my brothers truck.

#9 ·
About a year ago my support bearing went out. I went to Napa bought one from there didnt even last a year maybe 7k miles and it went out. The napa bearings are junk i ended up going with a toyota bearing also. The Loud ping is something in your transmission. I had that same issue. I took it to the transmission shop that replaced my transmission they told me they drained it, flushed it, changed filter adjusted my kickdown cable and its about 75% gone. The first time i heard the ping and it was getting worst i blew out my overdrive. Good luck may be worth taking to a reliable transmission shop to have them look at it. the service cost me like 130 bucks.

#8 ·
I just replaced it with a locker. The first time i had it i replaced the carrier bearing now its doing it again so i replaced the carrier bearing. Now it didn't help. How much is a Tranny mount From Toyota?

I have a no slip locker installed as well. No problems till I had to replace the carrier bearing.

#13 ·
ya when my overdrive went out it was sluggish up hills. Also had the same thing when i was low on tranny fluid. did you do a throttlebody spacer or anything around the intake/throttlebody? just wondering because thats were the kickdown cable is located. my original trans had roughly 110K miles when the overdrive bearing let loose.

#14 ·
I'll have to check my fluid then. I know my brake fluid is low but that wouldn't cause it if anything it would cause the E-brake to have problems. It never happens while drive only from a Stop or rolling and trying the following. P to R, R to D, P to D, D to R. L and 2nd work fine it seems.

No TBS or anything like that. Kick down cable? I have 60k but my truck is salvaged.

#19 ·
Kinda weird.. I chalked mine up to my throwout going, but you're auto correct? I originally thought it was my traction bar pinging on my driveshaft, but we trimmed that down and it still does it. Does it feel like it's coming from the rear driveshaft area? What kind of locker is it?

#23 ·
I think i found out what it is Just need help. I crawled under there today and told my brother to shift into the gears. I remember It started happening with the locker. There is a lot of play in My Driveshaft now. In Neutral i can rotate the drive shaft a good 1/2 turn or 3/4 of a turn. Seems as though the locker has created a lot of play in my driveshaft. So when I put the truck into R or D the truck applys the torque to the Drive shaft causing the drive shaft to rotate at a high torque rate. Then it preloads the locker and BANG! Now i read some threads of other people saying that had the same issue but most of them are manual. With a manual you control how fast your driveshaft rotates by your clutch. My question now is there a way to slow down my driveshaft from spinning to much. Would idle affect it? or some kind of transmission adjustment?

#29 ·
Thanks Voodoo

It should have a little bit of play in it but not a turn and a half's worth or whatever he was saying. Either it's adjusted wrong or your broke something :shrug:
Just half a turn give or take. Wes from TTORA said he never messed with the thing. Said he just put in the No Slip. He never had the problem cause he has a manual... :brickknoc

Can changing the idel change the amount of Torque that is applied to the drive shaft when shifting into gear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.