Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

anyone installed curtains in a camper shell?

33K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Rtap 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just got a camper shell and want to install sliding curtains on the side windows and possibly a drop-down curtain for the rear window. If anyone has done this before I'd appreciate any tips on materials and/or installation technique. I've got carpeted interior and I don't want to drill any holes thru the fiberglass. Thanks in advance!

2000 Tacoma Prerunner TRD ExtCab

Attachments

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
that will look tacky. just tint the windows
that's what i'd do...
then bone her at night just to be sure no one can see
seriously though, that's a nice cap and i wouldn't ruin it with curtains

I just read Tillers post again...and you could use some Gorilla Glue this stuff is really powerful...can get it at any store, walmart, sears, home depot, lowes...you get the idea

#5 ·
Maybe he just wants to use the camper shell for, um, camping? You know, sleeping in the bed, trying to keep the light out.

I thought I was the negative smartass on here but apparently I'm not alone.

northtorrey, to answer your original question, I would suggest an industrial strentgh adhesive. I work for a cell phone company and we have stuff we use to glue antennas to water tanks, the **** is amazing, and would be perfect for your application. PM me and I can help you further.

#9 ·
Long ago I came up with a curtain set for a small station wagon.

I used 2 screen door springs per side - upper and lower. I used self-tapping screws on each end to anchor the springs against the window frame. I sewed up curtains with two hems (upper and lower margins), and ran the springs through them.

This arrangement kept the curtains from being loose at the bottom margin. By making the curtain dimensions custom-fit to the vertical distance between the springs I had good tension that kept the curtains nicely positioned in place at all times.

#12 ·
You guys are right, curtains aren't the most attractive way to do it, but I didn't want to tint it so dark I'd have a hard time seeing thru the back window. It's mainly for camping but also keeping surfboard/snowboards back there and not worrying (or worrying less) about it. I've already had it broken into once at Rosarito and another time in La Jolla. I'm sick of these bastards. The windows are frikkin' expensive to replace!

At this point gluing curtain rods might be the best option, but I'm still open to other ideas, or burns if thats what you prefer :selfbonk:

#13 ·
ok so check this out. here is my idea not the coolest but will work. make a frame out of 1.4 steel rod. that fits the shape of each window you want to cover. then have the frames wrapped with a fabric of choice. attach suction cups tot he corners how ever you see fit so you can stick them to the windows them selves when you wan privacy and take em off when you dont. :shrug:

#14 ·
Hey Randy, post some pics.. :)

Heres another idea, you could cut away some of the carpeting on the shell to fiberglass in a bracket to hang a rod for the curtains on..

Simply go to a car stereo shop for replacment carpet.. thats all it is..

Or, get some material, cut it larger than the window and use velcro to hold it in place, cheapest and least time consuming in my mind..

#15 ·
Or, get some material, cut it larger than the window and use velcro to hold it in place, cheapest and least time consuming in my mind..
i think this is the best idea. pretty cheap and easy to remove and put up. also easy to wash if they get too dusty/dirty.

Can you think past a 3rd grade level?:shrug:
grow up little man. you told him to use adhesive to put on curtains in a carpeted campershell, what kinda reply were you expecting to get...:rolleyes:

#17 ·
I tried Velcro. Not very successful. I am going to use the screws that affix the window frame. Insert a small rectangular piece with a hole drilled for the screws. Replace screw with the small metal attached Attach Velcro to the metal piece instead of the camper lining. Then sew the other Velcro to the curtain. Should be stronger and can remove and store when not camping. Wish me luck

#18 ·
Hope these steps would offer some light
Step 1
Measure the dimensions of the window frame in your camper shell. Add the height and width of the window frame and then multiply that number by two.
Step 2
Cut the fabric to size. Each window will require two equally sized pieces.
Step 3
Use a marking pen to outline a slight hem. Fold the hem over and sew it closed using a thimble, needle and sewing thread.
Step 4
Make a 1 1/2-inch fold on the opposite end of the curtain from the hem to create a channel for the curtain rod. Iron the hem so it takes shape and is easier to handle. Turn the edge of the fold over about 1/2 inch so it has a slight hem.
Step 5
Sew the 1½ inch fold along the ½ inch hem you just created. Fold the material over about 1½ inch and then flip the tip over so the edge that you sew is not frayed. Repeat for a second window, if necessary.
Step 6
Install screw hooks, approximately 1 inch forward of each corner. Screw a screw hook in each corner. Repeat for a second window, if necessary.
Step 7
Use a tubular curtain rod specifically designed for camper shells. (This specification is required because of the size and shape of camper shell windows.) You can also pass a bungee cord through the channel and hang them that way. Pass the curtain rod or bungee cord through the channel.
Step 8
Position the ends of the curtain rod or bungee cord over the screw hooks. Repeat for a second window, if necessary.

#20 ·
what you want to do is unscrew the top-right and top-left screws on your shell window just enough to tie a thin cord around, so that you have a tight cord strung from the top-right to top-left corners of your window. then all you need to do is get some fabric at a thrift store and drape it over the cord

#22 ·
Wow, what a bunch of unhelpful, vain, jerks. You guys are more worried about the truck looking cool than helping OP with the whole point of his post. It's his truck, if curtains are what he wants because he want's to roll out a sleeping bag and crash, then tint won't keep out the street lights, or the greenhouse effect when morning sunlight comes shinning through. Perhaps OP is more concerned with function than form.

Have you thought about using the existing window frame screws to attached metal snap buttons, and then rivet the other end of the snap button to the curtains? Like the front nose cover on a ski boat...
(won't let me post an active link, remove spaces --> )www . ebay . com/itm/150pc-Stainless-Steel-Boat-Marine-Canvas-Fabric-Snap-Cover-Button-Socket-Kit-/361229946503

Or perhaps cutting out some tag board in the shape of the window, gluing some neodymium magnets to the corners and just sticking the flat cover over to the window frame? If it's aluminum you can put the magnets in locations that line up with the screws, those should be steel even if the frame isn't.

It may not be exactly what your looking for, but I hope it gives you some ideas.

P.S. OP stands for original poster.

#25 · (Edited)
I've been using curtains that have a strip of male velcro sewn across the top edge and they works great. I've had them for almost 6 years and no ill affects to the carpeted shell. When I don't want them, I fold them up and store them in the cubbies above the wheel wells. Makes sleeping in the back at rest stops comfortable and definitely hides gear from prying eyes. If I were to make them again, I'd add a few spots of velcro to the bottom, but I find that they hand down away from the window so I can have my tip-out vents open and have a little ventilation so the humidity doesn't get too high in the back. If it's hot out, nothing really helps.

Knowing the age of the original post, I'm only posting because I feel like the velcro route is the easiest and best way to go.

Attachments

#26 ·
I just got a cap for my Ford Ranger. I decided to get the cap liner. I was trying to figure out how to hang my curtain rods. Wandering through the hardware store I came across "Drapery Pins on Hooks or just "Drapery Hooks." They have a sharp point that easily inserts into the fabric cap liner. They pinch together at one point so they stay secure. The hook is rounded so a cafe rod works perfectly. I am thrilled with the results. Google them. You'll understand as soon as you see them how they are great for this purpose. Happy camping!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.