Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Prototype camping setup

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Enola Gaia 
#1 · (Edited)
So like the title says, this is a prototype that I quickly threw together for some camping next week. I hope to build another one with better measurements and overall fit as well as finishing it all with some outdoor carpet and some hinged access panels to make it easier to get to stuff underneath the platform. Anyway, on to the pics.

This is what the assembled platform looks like. It is in four pieces, counting the 2x4 support piece, and it can all fit flat in the bottom of the bed. The front piece I usually leave in as a shelf, the driver's side piece is just the plywood, and the passenger side has the 2x4 screwed to it. The back two pieces attach to each other and the front piece using carriage bolts and wingnuts.

A view under the platform showing the wiring eyes I put in for securing stuff with and showing how much space there is under here.

A pretty dark pic showing how the middle eye fits into the 2x4 support to prevent it from slipping out of place.

More below....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
When the two pieces nearest the back are removed, the front piece can stay in place as a shelf. This makes the setup quite versatile, as I can just sleep in the bed and then use the two shelves to store whatever I have in the bed while I sleep. This is an easier setup to manage for short 1-2 night trips where I don't have a whole lot of stuff.

Trying to show some perspective on the two shelves in place. The top one is 2x4ft, and has a 1x2 lip all the way around it to keep stuff from rolling off, and it has multiple anchor points around the edge for securing stuff with bungees, nets, rope, etc. The top shelf rests on the top flanges of the side windows. It will promarily be used to store my fishing gear and other fragile, light stuff, so I don't think it will be too much stress on the flanges. On the bottom shelf here, you can see a removable lip that I have put on the back side of the shelf to keep stuff from slipping off. Again, it is quickly removable with bolts and wingnuts.

Another one trying to show the two shelves. The front edge of the bottom one fits up into a groove that runs along under the front window and also rests on the sides of the topper along the bedrails. It is very strong, I can lay down on it and it supports my pleasantly plump derrier. It can also be moved easily to the back of the bed to act as a prep/serving table for dinner time.

This is setup in the rear drivers side corner for now, but I will likely move it to a safer location or protect it somehow whenever I get around to making the final product. The 12V outlet powers the inflator to blow up my air mattress, and also provides a quick access point for a spotlight, etc. The pull switch powers a 12V light mounted in the top of the shell. I also wired another switch in the cab so I can turn it off from in the cab if I leave it one and don't realize it till I'm in the cab.

More below...

#3 · (Edited)
Here is the light that I rigged up. It is cheap but it works and is adjustable. May replace it with something a little better when I find something else. I hope to replace it with a halogen lamp so I get more light and less heat.

A pic in my garage during the daytime showing the light output. Not a good representation, but I could easily read in here or about anything else if it was good and dark outside.

Like I said, I hope to take my time and build the permanent one with better measurements and make some access panels. I also hope to wire up an inverter with the setup. And the final product will be covered in some carpet as well. But for now, I am satisfied with it and it will serve my purposes well. It can be assembled or removed in less than five minutes with one person.

#6 ·
For archival purposes, here are the pics as attachments ... I tweaked the really dark ones as best I could to try to bring out more details ...

Installment #1 ...

Attachments

#7 ·
Installment #2 ...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.