Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Direct port methanol injection

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Cruznlife1 
#1 ·
Why ? Because I can ;)

I'm fabricating my new intake manifold. Methanol is next and instead of a single nozzle at the throttle body, I was considering direct port with some nice hard lines etc.... I'm not sure about what injectors/nozzles to use, and what bungs to weld into manifold.. I had meth on my turbo ranger, and I still have the fittings, solonoid, nozzle etc. from that. All I really need is a pump to get it in the tacoma, but while it's all torn apart I'd like to do direct port, just because. I want to do it all pretty with polished stainless hard lines. Can anyone point me in a specific direction ? I've been googling :confused:

#3 ·
Why ? Because I can ;)

I'm fabricating my new intake manifold. Methanol is next and instead of a single nozzle at the throttle body, I was considering direct port with some nice hard lines etc.... I'm not sure about what injectors/nozzles to use, and what bungs to weld into manifold.. I had meth on my turbo ranger, and I still have the fittings, solenoid, nozzle etc. from that. All I really need is a pump to get it in the Tacoma, but while it's all torn apart I'd like to do direct port, just because. I want to do it all pretty with polished stainless hard lines. Can anyone point me in a specific direction ? I've been googling :confused:
do you run an inter-cooler? The idea of direct injection has been done at our shop a few times. We ran into control and uneven mixture levels. now the injectors were at about middle of the runners on a 22rte and a an 4.3l Chevy v6. But the mixture never delivered evenly, the outer cylinders always ran leaner on the ends of the engine. This was determined by exhaust temp chamber temp and mixture sampled at turbo outlets. We concluded that the main problem was lack of proportional control, but setting an alcohol - meth program and controls up was just more than a small problem. We are now injecting between throttle body and manifold Thur a custom throttle spacer with twin nozzles and have not had the same problems.

#4 ·
Yes I'm running a large air/air.... I figured direct port would be key to equal distribution, I've been wrong before though.... I assumed injecting at the throttle body would be the most practical, cheapest, easiest. My "keep it simple" attitude keeps rearing it's head and I know I should start listening... Like I said I have a full single nozzle methanol kit already here, I just dont have the pump. I'm dont have an EGT setup, and I was worried about equal distribution. Maybe a dual nozzle installed in the plenum, aimed between each pair of runners :shrug:

Or just run what I've got at the throttle body, this will be a large plunum, short runner intake, maybe I should consider some EGT probing :confused:

#8 · (Edited)
Im going to do the same...Just gotta find a place to get the parts for cheap, seems Devilsown.com has good prices on this stuff.:waytogo:

I think I will use 1 injector do to the possible problems, I would hate to have 1 injector of 3 stop working and ruin the engine. The only way I would do 4 nozzles is if I had EGT per cylinder.

Edit:Cant spell

#9 ·
The only way I believe direct injection will work would be with a very high pressure injector to be sure of complete vaporization before the air/ alcohol mix separate down the individual runners. Quick note checking tempts is critical. If you are going to try this get a pair of exhaust temp from at least two cylinders. On a tune up run you can use an infrared no touch thermometer.

#10 ·
If you are running an intercooler, why don't you want to plumb the methanol into the intercooler? That is what I see most commonly with turbo'd intercoooled meth setups.

#12 ·
If you are running an intercooler, why don't you want to plumb the methanol into the intercooler? That is what I see most commonly with turbo'd intercoooled meth setups.
People would spray CO2 and such cold gases on the outside of the intercooler. They don't often spray into the inside. You wouldn't want pooling of fluids there, and it seems to me that you'd have atomization problems if spraying water/meth inside the intercooler.

Just set it up basically like URD's port fueler system only with meth nozzles instead. :shrug:
If only someone made a port fueler for the 2/3RZ. Cruz is making his own intake manifold though, so such device is not necessary. He's just going to incorporate the injector bungs into the design, if I understand correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.