Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Lowering my 99 Tacoma

11K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Enola Gaia 
#1 ·
Hello Taco people

I want to lower my '99 2wd Tacoma but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing. How much can/should I lower it and do I need new shocks in addition to a lowering kit? Or is there a better way to do it? Please help!

#4 ·
Dont stress about the leaf removal, 3 inch blocks/ball joint flip will put you where you wanna be. Run some decent stock size shocks as this wont change shock length. Great starter drop and when you get cash look into 4x4 leaf mod and qa1s up front

#5 ·
Hi, I've been reading through the faq and posts like this, but I am still not really sure how this works. I tried the link provided and it says "no longer available". The Faq does not mention anything about the "lowering" only says "lift". Which i found strange.

So I am clueless. How does one find "lowering" components, what are they all called, and what is the best way to lower the truck. I am planning a motor swap so I need something that will hold a bit more weight up front with no trouble (figure at least 100lbs extra). What does it mean "ball joint flip" do you mean I buy a brand new set of OEM ball joints and flip them upside down? Where do I find these "blocks" and so forth...

#6 ·
#7 ·
Here are some intro / background links on basic lowering strategies and the ball joint flip in particular ...
thank you! I am starting to see now. I thnk I will want to to try the ball joint flip + rear block first and see how the truck handles after that. I don't need much cornering ability, mainly just interested in high speeds stability for drag racing (140~mph 1/4 miles). I wonder how a stock shock/spring would deal with that sort of sudden speed. I am worried I might need something "stiff". Or some kind of downforce mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.