Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

balance shaft question in a 2.7

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  02TACO7714 
#1 ·
I was wondering if it is possible to run a 3rz without the balance shafts.. Will it tare it self apart? The reason I am asking is b/c the is a mopar race team in my town and I’v heard that they take out the balance shafts in the SRT-4 neons and they make 30 extra horses..

#4 ·
I know the DSM guys are taking them out of the Eagle talons too. Seems to add some vibration but my friends DSM ran many years with out them, and lots of boost.

#5 ·
im not sure what year toyota added them but my ex's truck (03 mini) has balance shafts and its way smoother.. at high revs her shifter doesnt feel like its gonna fall outta the truck like mine does (i have a 96).. so im sure itll free up alot of rotating mass.. not more power just rotating mass.. kinda like a light weight fly... or light weight wheels.. just feels like more power..

#6 ·
It'll decrease rotating mass AND decrease drag, since the balance shaft rides on bearings, eliminating the shaft eliminates the bearing drag.

Why not just get a 2rz, since it is a de-stroked 3rz without the balance shafts. Or trade me your 3rz for my 2rz!! By the numbers, a 2rz should have more rev potential due to the shorter stroke.

#8 ·
I've heard of people removing the balance shafts on nissan engines with good results. definately one less thing for the crankshaft to turn (well, two less things). definately more vibration, but it does free up some power. I actually had the same idea for that block that you got. just leave 'em out. and try? I doubt it'll be much worse that a stock 2.4L... them things vibrate like crazy already, so I'm sure that the engine mounts and everything else would hold up just fine (unless you installed a supercharger, in which case I'd say that you're going to be busting intake manifold studs like crazy). I might even go a step further and take the time to fab up a brace to help absorb some of the side to side vibration... like use a couple of super stiff shocks on either side to dampen vibration? That Idea was kicked around a long time ago, but nobody ever went anywhere with it.

#10 ·
sorry to dig up such an old thread but...

has anyone actually done this since this thread started and if so how did it go...

was it hard to do?

cuz it seems to me to be pretty intense job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.