Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

New turbo manifold option

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  D_matic 
#1 ·
While browsing internet I found a "new" option for a turbo manifold. If we can really consider it an option to purchase a probably chinease made product.

Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Stai...-FE-/251998948162?hash=item3aac4ecb42&vxp=mtr#

I'm really considering purchasing one of these. My quest of turbo manifold is about there. LC performance is nice but besides being expensive, has the v band flange for the wastegate, and the one I have is the two bolt model.

I know KO racing is apparently quite good but too expensivefrom my point of view for a welded manifold.
My option at this point was to weld a log manifold myself. Then I came across this "new" one. It still cheaper than just the parts I need to weld mine.

I sent a message to the seller to ask him few questions. Material thickness and if the straightness of the flanges are controlled. He told me it was straight and the material is thicker than what he usually sell but... What is straight from someone who sells chinease stuff?? And no numbers given about thickness of anything. The seller said it's a notch higher quality than what he usually sells.

On the other hand, could it really be worst than if I'm welding one myself? Probably yes cause I don't make sh@t. But could it be the same probably yes also.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well just to throw it out there as I have been running a KO manifold on the 2rz and a Steedspeed on the 22RE....both companies make a stout turbo manifold with an excellent warranty for the entire time you own it. So keep in mind you are paying for a lifetime warranty on the products. But back on topic...for 200 bucks and it fits within your budget it may be worth the risk of trying it out on the one from EBay.

#3 ·
I like where they placed the turbo and wastegate flanges. All the bolts should be easy to get a wrench on. I'd say go for it and write a review.

#4 ·
It is a basic log manifold. Cheap and easy to produce. It works good for cheap setups on a budget. But don't expect it to compare performance wise with a properly built manifold.

For the power ranges that 95% of guys on here are after though, it should work fine assuming the build quality is good enough to avoid cracking issues.

#5 ·
On the topic of cracking: Had the first version of the KO racing manifold. Somewhere around 25,000 miles it cracked. I sent it to Kris at KO Racing and he fixed it and it sent back. Pretty darn quick too. Now, Kris welds a 1/4 inch bracket or something on his new manifolds. So, KO Racing has proper customer/tech support if you're wondering.

I don't like the Ebay manifold because of the offset wastegate which might equate to boost creep.

#6 ·
I might bite the bullet and try it. I also like the overall design but I know that almost all log style design are not optimal as it's been said but it should be ok for my power goal.

Any weld tubing manifold will eventually crack somewhere. Most of the time between the flange and the runners. I have a tig welder anyways so I should be able to repair it quite easilly.

I'll update here when I will have it in hand.

#7 ·
Hi,

just received my manifold. First sight was good but a better inspection shows problems that will have to be fixed.

Following are random notes and observations.

- All flanges materials are 0.450" approx. and are magnetic. So if they are kind of stainless, it is magnetic.
- Runners are not magnetic, they are probably some sort of stainless.
- Runner gauge seems to be 14 or 16 but I'm not able to measure it precisely due to access. That's ok but on the thin side.
- All the flanges that are magnetic seem to be coated with a shinny plating... You can see it peel between two runners. They should not put it in at all in my opinion.

- Bolt patterns are all matching, turbo flange bolt pattern is drilled impressively too big but it will fit.
- Wastegate and turbo flange are quite straight, may only need a small grinding.
- Main flange have a little bit of wrapping. I will have to machine it straight for proper use. I would say about 1/16", honnestly it's less than what I was expecting but too much to use it right away.

- There is many cleaning inside the runners that still have to be done.
- There is lost of plasma cutting scale remaining inside the runners that will have to be removed.

- Welding job is acceptable. In a previous job, I've been a welding inspector in a stainless shop. Sure that is not comparable to what you will see for medical or food components. But for a chinease made turbo manifold it's acceptable.

I think they put the enphasis on the welding job assembly but are overlooking cleaning and finishing. Anyone that would use the manifold right away out of the box for his turbo setup will probably damage their turbo because of the scale left over.

So my first impression overall. It's a small deception, I've been once again tempted to find an affordable out of the box reliable performance part from china. It's still too much words that can be logically put in a true sentence. In fact I received exactly what I was expecting, a low quality part.

Because it's a static component, it could be used anyways. I means it's not like a thousands RPM spinning turbo that wait to explode and tore all your engine up. Once I will have spend a good 4-5 hours of cleaning, add some internal welding where I have acces to increase the overall structural integrity of the manifold, I should be able to make it good and reliable.

But don't think to buy that and use it right away.

*** few pictures ***

Overall look

A nice chunck of scale. :surprise

Coating peeling between the two runners.

Impressive lack of cleaning and finishing of the runner port.

#10 ·
Here is a follow up. Communication been very good with the seller. We had few exhanges. I really feel he tries his best to solve the problem. The option we looked was to exchange my unit for a "good unit". Good unit only mean straight flange and inside finishing.

He wrote me back today and told me they are all the same as what I received... I still have to figure if I keep the manofold for a partial refund or if I ask a full refund and send it back.

I really start to consider to make a small production run of log style manifold. My drawings were almost finished anyways as I planed to do mine. I think there is still a place for an good quality entry level basic log manifold.

#11 ·
Have you talked to any machine shops to deck the flange so it's nice and level? Over all the turbo seems to be what one would expect. My question is would you buy it again or spend the money to build yours? Keep us updated! Struggling with manifold options for my build.

#12 ·
I took one day to think about it in lots of ways. My conclusion is that I don't want to use it at all.

Even if I say it's a static part that doesn't do anything than flowing air, there is too much involved in that part. First as said, impact on air flow. That manifold even if properly cleaned has pretty bad tube fit prior to be welded. That means there is full of unblended edges insides that are fitted only with filler rod material. That also means that is the welds cracks it will leak quite a lot.

If I would have choosen to use it anyways and came to the moment that I don't like the result or if it perporms like $h/t because of a technical aspect, all my downpipes, charge pipe and everything will be done according to the angles and locations. My only option would be to replace it by one that is similar... (if they are one from others between the fabrication batches). Sending one day cleaning it plus the ride to the machine shop and the charge of the work. There is quite much fab works involved to redo all these pipings once you decide to change your manifold. I know I won't want to park the truck to do it once my new engine will be in.

To asnwer to your question, any machine shop could mill it straight, I'm sure about it. But once done, what you still have in hand is not that exiting. You have to see the internal ports to understand. There is so much mismatched tubing, it creates holes. I would be concerned that metal particules that I couldn't clean enough because of lack of access and view to inspect in could detach while in use and risk to jeopardise the turbo.

If I would buy it again, anwser is no. I asked the seller for a full refund, I don't want to spend time on that manifold. Seller been very understanding for the moment, I think they will try to keep me happy with the transaction even if I'm not happy with the product.

For some of the above reasons, I don't even think I will weld my own. I want to be able to replace it quick if needed without having to start anew.

I will be working on a real solution. Keep tuned. :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.