Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

intake and starting problem

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  1stunner 
#1 ·
ok well tonight I came across something that never happened before.so im bagging my 2014 2.7 base reg cab(nuttin fancy). to do so ill be cutting the fenders out,the air box is on there.so I need to move the intake.i cant buy any certain intake because they all have the airfilter where the stock box is.so I pieced together a spectra intake,and it actually turned out nicer then I thought it would,and I put a k&n filter on it.i unhooked the pos. battery terminal and installed it.had it all done looking good.maf installed and the 2 vacuum lines.i tried to start it up and it started but shut off right away. I did this about 5 times.so I put the stock all back in and then it fired up and stayed on.anyone got any ideas? in sure its right in front of me but it started to rain so I was in a rush.i heard somewhere that since the battery was undone itll do that,any thoughts??? thanks

#3 ·
Could it be that you left something unplugged when you installed the aftermarket inteke?

It would be helpful if you could put a scanner on it and see if there were any stored codes. Any past code data might well point directly to what the problem was ...

#5 ·
I didn't know there was a certain direction the maf went in. that could be it.but , no it didn't throw any codes,started right up and died.i had the 2 vacuum lines connected,you cant really get them wrong.and yes, I measused the stock tube by the maf and the throttle body side and like my intake tube,its all 3inchs.could it be because I had my pos. battery unhooked for like 10min.? I never had these issues before. thanks for all your input guys......oh and yes,im cutting up a 2014 and putin her where she belongs,on her knees.

#8 ·
ok so this is where im at now.i put everything back in today with the maf going the right way and bam,it worked....for a while. it started,sounded good,so I took it up the road (about 2 miles) and my check engine light and the trac off light came on.still ran ok until I was on my way back home.when I gave it gas to shift it wouldn't and fell on its face. any thoughts??? I did pull the neg. terminal for a few mins. put it back on,and no light for a few but then it pops back up,both of them.

#10 · (Edited)
Looks good =)
I'm gonna say that the Spectre tubing you are using has a greater inner diameter than the section of plastic tubing that the sensor was installed in from the factory. (The factory piping is necked down in that area and is NOT 3 inches as you stated it was earlier). This will cause a lean condition and engine light. There is also another sensor mounted to the back of the factory intake pipe near where it goes to the throttle body..what did you do with it?

#11 ·
thanks.i took one of the clamps off the stock intake tube after the maf and it was 3inchs .ill measure infront tomarrow. the maf adapter did come with 3 differnet reducers for this problem,i guess ill have to mess with them to see what works. I don't like this trail and error ****!lol.I usally just get a normal intake but for what im doing this is my only option. if you look close at the pic,you can see where I mounted the other sensor. I used one of the bolts from the stock intake and just bolted it down to the top of the valve cover.it cleaned up nice.i understand the engine light fro the intake ,but why would my TRAC OFF light come on??

Attachments

#13 ·
so I stoped at the garage today on my way home to see if it stored anything in the computer and it didn't show any codes,so I guess taking off the neg. terminal for a few sec. works as long as its not a major problem.if its not 3 inch pipe does anyone know what is the correct size.? I have 3 adapters,2 3/4,2 1/2, and 2 1/4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.